Author Topic: Need Beta Testers For Map  (Read 4867 times)

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
Need Beta Testers For Map
« on: November 04, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »
Iv made a fairly good (in my opinion ;)) remake of back2back.  I'v added more characteristics of a match map and some new features.  These incluse BARRELS (finnaly), more guns, a backdoor, and some new darker lighting.  If anyone is willing to put the map on their server to get the general public's thoughts on it, that would be appreaciated.  Any comments by other users are also welcome. 

Download link: http://upload.arena-zone.com/611751

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Re: Need Beta Testers For Map
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »
Smokey it seems like everytime anyone has a new idea for the game, for maps or one they've created that you're right there to chop them down and steal the lime light.  I see you doing this very often on this forum.  Lighten up... There is nothing wrong with new ideas.  It's nice to have change so the game and maps don't get boring.  B2B is another one of those 1 way maps and the changes Queenie made actually make the map more interesting.  Only thing I don't like is the word WAFFLE er whatever that is in the middle.  Also, how you get to that flag in the middle tunnel?

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
Thanks casso.   :)

And YES smokey, there are spawn points, so before you go making accusations, get your facts straight.  Fool.   :P

To get to the middle flag, jump from the small crate, to the side of the large one, then climb it. (its a ladder ;))  Then from there just jump at the tiny invisible ledge right at the edge of the house.  Easy :D

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:57:23 PM »
Smokey it seems like everytime anyone has a new idea for the game, for maps or one they've created that you're right there to chop them down and steal the lime light.  I see you doing this very often on this forum.  Lighten up... There is nothing wrong with new ideas.  It's nice to have change so the game and maps don't get boring.  B2B is another one of those 1 way maps and the changes Queenie made actually make the map more interesting.  Only thing I don't like is the word WAFFLE er whatever that is in the middle.  Also, how you get to that flag in the middle tunnel?
Only when its a bad idea, like this....

Ya queenie

When i opened the map i got this:

We can do without comments like the ones I deleted.  Enjoy your temp ban.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 11:28:14 PM by jitspoe »

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:45:13 PM »
Well you intercoursed something with your DP.  It works fine on mine.  I could even send you the .map of it, there are spawn points.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 11:14:32 PM »
Smokey EVERY Map is a bad map to you!!!  EVERY Idea is a bad Idea to you... Look at ALL your posts for the past 2 months!!!  95% of your posts are an insult to someone or some other negative comment towards someone else's idea... Lay off!! You actually have a good side to you and some intelligence... USE the positive things to your advantage and forget the dark side attitude!!

(Jitspoe the spell check thinks towards should be to wards)  I'm finding a ton of errors with it.. I guess I need to start to reporting them all LOL)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 11:29:57 PM »
water in the mid makes it really laggy.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 11:30:38 PM »
Grow the F up!
Uh... ::) Yeah, not happening. Although he has toned his anger down. It used to be like ...http://wowseriousbusiness.ytmnsfw.com/
  >:( Annoying.

Try being constructive and help don't just crap on a person for being human. You don't even  know this person and you act smug? Where are your suggestions and examples from your maps showing how its done correctly?  ::) Well?...........*Crickets. Thought so kid. Nothing.  We defiantly need to find a MILF for you. Otherwise this will be your entire life....

"I'm willing to bet that it's even worse now."
Put you money where your mouth is Mr. "Super-Negative Wonder Powers activate!"
(psst which one is Skater?)

"Form of a waterboy!!!" ..."Form of his loving Coach!!!"

Notice the two lovers in the back, hey thats disgusting!!! My money is on Gleek.
http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos/2006/01/election/monkey_knife_fight.jpg

Queenie? Nice to meet you I would love to offer my server or perhaps Jitspoe can load it on the beta test server. I am going to look at it now. Uhh if I can.  ;)

OK tested it.
1. Gun barrels! Good idea! Are they spawned with player? If not add more.
2. Water bad! Ice good!

Will test more. I would love to host this. Oh Jitsy!!

Others might excrement on you for your opinion, don't listen to them. Its about what you like not others.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »
Smokey: Since you like criticism so much, you need to learn to at least make it constructive.  Calling people morons, etc. is not productive.  As Picasso said, almost all of your posts recently have been attacking people or their ideas.  Learn how to behave yourself better.  I guess you'll see this message in 4 days when your temp ban expires.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »
water in the mid makes it really laggy.

if r_reflectivewater is off it is ok.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 11:39:50 PM »
even then i still got only 200 fps on my own server

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 11:45:32 PM »
Smokey: Since you like criticism so much, you need to learn to at least make it constructive.  Calling people morons, etc. is not productive.  As Picasso said, almost all of your posts recently have been attacking people or their ideas.  Learn how to behave yourself better.  I guess you'll see this message in 4 days when your temp ban expires.
No! Now he wont learn from my posts.......Thank you Jitspoe.   :-*

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 11:49:58 PM »
Im not tempbanned...wtf.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 12:22:43 AM »
Im not tempbanned...wtf.
I have got to do something about my short attention span.

As for the map... I'll be honest, I think it's worse than back2back.  There's a fence in front of the flag now, making an easily campable base even easier to camp.  It's harder to get in and out with the flag.  The water in the middle doesn't really add anything, looks out of place, and slows the gameplay down (and causes lower framerates as spook pointed out).  The extra path is so cumbersome to get into that it doesn't really add much, and almost all of the textures are misaligned in there.  Even if you take that alternate path, there's still only one entrance to te base, and you still expose yourself to the middle area getting into it, so it has almost no purpose.  Also, with reflective water, you should never have more than one water surface visible, if possible, and things like vertical columns of water really detract from te game.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 12:50:24 AM »
Im not tempbanned...wtf.
I have got to do something about my short attention span.

Hahaha I can't stop laughing!! quit evading the filter my belly hurts!!

Queenie, maybe if your tunnel path was enlarged and to the backside of the original map or underground and you took out the water effect then changed the original main path to ice it would be better.  As Jitspoe points out, the map as it is, is still a one path map.

Don't get disouraged and thanks for your new ideas...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 01:11:33 AM »
I was hoping Jitspoe had time to show you how to improve this in addition to telling you whats wrong.  :)

Some people like simple food (comfort food (not to be mistaken for fast food. Jits)) some people like orgasmic exotic flavors. With this in mind who is tastes are more correct. Neither.

As Mr. Picasso points out DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED by anyone. Keep up the motivation.

Remember this is your baby for as long as it lives and Dr. Jitspoe has told you why its going to die. Hopefull we can find you a cure.   :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 07:39:54 AM »
A couple things I forgot to mention:

- When releasing a beta map, it should have some kind of beta extension (ie: mymap_b1.bsp or mymap_beta2.bsp).  It should also be placed in the pball/maps/beta directory to avoid clutter in the main maps directory.
- Did you have permission from the original author to modify the map and take full credit for it?
- "Back2back 2" doesn't really seem like an appropriate name.  That implies it's a new map in a series of similarly themed maps.  Take a look at de_dust and de_dust2 in CS, for example -- same theme, but completely different map layouts.  Or, in this game, battle and battle2, midnight and midnight2, crates and crates2, propaint1 and propaint2.  All the maps in those series were made from the ground up from scratch, not just slight modifications of the first.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »
Well I'm certainly thinking of changing alot of features to the map, also I guess I should change the name of it (although I don't think anyone will sue me for copywrite of their map  ::))  I'm thinking of removing the fence around the flag also, and possible moving the second path to an underground location.  As for your comment, Jitspoe, on how most "second" maps, such as pp1 or pp2, I was thinking this to be more of an upgrade, as I found that there were some places to improve. :-\  Il get right on those changes and switch the it to b2b_beta2.  As soon as I'm finished I'll post the download link here. 

Last but not least, if you can host the new beta after its done on your server Loial, <3s for lyfe ;).

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »
Queenie, With all due respect...

I didn't know you hadn't been in contact with the original creator of B2B and not to rain on your parade but although there are no copyrights, it's simply not right for a map maker to modify an existing map  someone else made then take credit for it...  If modifications are made to an existing map with the original creator's approval and you include credit towards the original map maker then your reputation as a map maker doesn't have the risk of being tarnished.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
I understand that its more about ethics than the law, and in m finale version I will include "original by blah blah blah".  After this do you still think i should seek appoval of the creator? I do not know him personally so do you think he would mind if I included his name in the final version?