Author Topic: clan tag stolen (PS) ]pS[  (Read 2705 times)

twistdid

• VM-68
clan tag stolen (PS) ]pS[
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
Hey Jits there is a new clan going by (PS) and we are ]pS[ and have been for about a year now. With the Global Login will it tell them that the clan tag is registered and they can't use it or will it be okay because they have parenthesis around there PS instead of brackets. and they are telling us that they wont get rid of it. So what do you suggest doing?

magalhaes

• Autococker
Re: clan tag stolen (PS) ]pS[
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
in the build 17 pre-test my mates who are not registered have being able to connect to my server if they have [LC] instead of ]LC[

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:16:57 AM »
in the build 17 pre-test my mates who are not registered have being able to connect to my server if they have [LC] instead of ]LC[

that has nothing to do with the topic...

i agree jits, i created this clan last year, and the only thing that was a resemblance to our clan tag would have been [sp]...now we all know [sp] isnt around anymore so there isnt a problem even if their was one...

but i don't really care we have the ] [, they can keep the ( ), as long as it doesn't stand for the same thing, right?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
Hey Jits there is a new clan going by (PS) and we are ]pS[ and have been for about a year now. With the Global Login will it tell them that the clan tag is registered and they can't use it or will it be okay because they have parenthesis around there PS instead of brackets.
WTF?..he asked this and i said that in the build 17 pre-test they are able to use it....i answer him and it isnt on the topic?? ???

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »
magalhaes did answer it.
No clans should be using the same letters, it's confusing. Wait for the other clan to die or be more creative and make an acronym of 2 or 3 different letters.
You should be able to have whatever spacers you want on the same tags. e.g. [] ][ {} }{ ||, those being spacers.
I like Q4 and Sauerbraten's clan name system, different column on scores for clan tags, separate from your name.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »
Even though (PS) and ]pS[ use the same letters, I think they're visually different enough to distinguish between the two.  If they had a tag like )pS(, then it might appear to be more deliberate tag theft / spoofing, but with all the 1 and 2 letter clan tags around, there are bound to be tags that use the same letters, especially if clans from other games want to move over and add paintball2 divisions.

Currently the login system matches exact clan tags, so (PS) and ]pS[ could both be registered.  Even if I were to limit tags to just alphanumerics, people would probably still try to find ways to spoof: ]p5[, ]p$[, ch|ll, 2OID, etc.  I think the best thing to do is deal with these on a case by case basis and create a list of reserved tags that can't be used or registered.

twistdid

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
Okay thanks jits, maybe i will challenge them for the clan tag. that way the best clan could keep it

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »
Even though (PS) and ]pS[ use the same letters, I think they're visually different enough to distinguish between the two.  If they had a tag like )pS(, then it might appear to be more deliberate tag theft / spoofing, but with all the 1 and 2 letter clan tags around, there are bound to be tags that use the same letters, especially if clans from other games want to move over and add paintball2 divisions.

Currently the login system matches exact clan tags, so (PS) and ]pS[ could both be registered.  Even if I were to limit tags to just alphanumerics, people would probably still try to find ways to spoof: ]p5[, ]p$[, ch|ll, 2OID, etc.  I think the best thing to do is deal with these on a case by case basis and create a list of reserved tags that can't be used or registered.

Glad someone agrees with me 8^),
I don't have a problem with it....

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
Okay thanks jits, maybe i will challenge them for the clan tag. that way the best clan could keep it

Too bad all disputes in this game can't be handled in such fashion.  :-\

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
I can see you not wanting people to get confused by the clan tags. Though were working with 2 and 3 letter combos here. The possibilities are limited. So they use PS and you use pS, the tags are different which makes them a different clan. Take a look at some other games clan lists. You will see that many tags are very similar. It's really not that big of a deal as long as they aren't using your exact tag and name. In the game I used to play they're was like 4 "section 8" clans, They used similar tags but not the exact and everyone was kool with it. I doubt those guys are using your clans name. If you do play them for the ps letter combo and win who is going to make them change it anyways? And if they do change it are you going to challenge the next one and so on. You will eventually lose your letter combo. All you can really do to protect your tag is to register it first when the global login goes official.  If they start protecting letter combos it will seriously limit this games growth. Even if they was to use )PS(, big deal they have a similar tag. They are still distinguishable differences between each one.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »
thanks, this has already been settled a week ago...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:52:48 AM by kNoC »