Author Topic: Cell Phones  (Read 2744 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Cell Phones
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
How many of you use a cell phone?

What features do you consider essential?

For those who use PDA phones which kind have you had the best  experience with? (palm, windows, RIM, Linux, Symbian?)

What carrier are you with? What carrier do you wish you were with?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
I have an unbranded N-Gage QD on tesco mobile. Symbian is very reliable, but doesn't have a good range of FREE applications. The commercial ones are easily... obtained... (nudge nudge wink wink)

PS. I don't encourage piracy. It was a joke.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 01:40:42 PM »
i recently just got mine canceled but heres mine

Key Features:
-Communication

Carrier:
-Virgin Mobile "pay by month $44.99"

Carrier I Wish I Was With:
-VerizonWireless "everyone i know uses verizon, verizon to verizon is free"

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »
ericsson k800i, my keys scratched the screen. :(

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:15:43 PM »
Essential: Ability to talk on phone.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »
Nokia N800.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 05:18:11 PM »
On cell phones it really all depends on what you need to use it for.  I personally use cingular.  Not sure how much my bill is, but I get good customer support,  excellent service, and it allows you to customize your plan to fit your needs.  Thats just my two cents though.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:55:21 AM »
ericsson k800i, my keys scratched the screen. :(

I like the  idea of a high power camera phone. But I am wishing they would stick it on a PDA. I suppose the price would be too high.

Currently I am using a samsung I700 pocket pc phone. It is a bit dated, but I like it overall.

I am looking for something from Verizon with

-wifi

-pda functionaility, including full contact listing
- voice dialing that doesn't require programming (voicesignal is quite good)

- Qwerty keyboard

- full office aps, unlike the Q etc., preferrably full windows mobile, not smartphone.

- Bluetooth

I haven't tried a sympian PDA model as Verizon just doesn't do that sort of thing. Nokia only has normal offerings on Verizon.

Anyone had much experience with RIM?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:34:46 AM »
I have a blackberry 7110 from Nextel.

I love it.  Clear, crisp sound. Great battery life. Easy to use.

THings I wish it had:

Voice dialing
camera
external memory

I never worried about office apps but I can read office docs as well as pdf's.  If I need anything else, I pul the old laptop out and connect to the cell network with my laptop's air card on Sprint

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »
Maybe a Palm Treo 700wx/750 is what you're looking for minus the wi-fi.  The 750 series is rumored to be available on Verizon in mid-may.

My second suggestion is a Blackberry like KnacK suggested.  They have the Blackberry Pearl(8100) now which fits most of those categories.  Pretty useless unless you're getting a data plan though.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:49:39 AM »
You need to differentiate your wants from your needs as far as phone options go. I pay ( well my company pays and I approve it ) $59.00 a month for unlimited data connectivity on my laptop with an embedded EV-DO card Rev. A. No data limit.  It also has embedded bluetooth and WiFI and VoIP softphone ( Nortel) that I can conenct to my office VoIP network when I'm vpn'd in.  My cell phone runs around $80.00 a month with essentially everything. 

SInce my laptop is always with me, I have the best of both worlds when I have cell phone coverage.

Having the most gadgets does not make you the most productive. Knowing what gadgets to use when is what counts.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »
This is what I have: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=49

It gets me by.  I can store phone numbers and talk on it.  My parents were going to get me a new phone for Christmas, but it was either, a) Spend a bunch of money on a phone without a plan, or b) get a new plan and I'd have to pay $10-$20 more a month.  I just stuck with what I had.

I'd personally look for something that has good battery life.  My boss got one of those new krazrs or whatever and has to charge the thing practically twice a day.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »
You need to differentiate your wants from your needs as far as phone options go. I pay ( well my company pays and I approve it ) $59.00 a month for unlimited data connectivity on my laptop with an embedded EV-DO card Rev. A. No data limit.  It also has embedded bluetooth and WiFI and VoIP softphone ( Nortel) that I can conenct to my office VoIP network when I'm vpn'd in.  My cell phone runs around $80.00 a month with essentially everything. 

SInce my laptop is always with me, I have the best of both worlds when I have cell phone coverage.

Having the most gadgets does not make you the most productive. Knowing what gadgets to use when is what counts.

Well in my case I need the PIM features for work. I have hundreds of contacts,and the voice dialing feature is quite handy.

The wifi is simply because I am too cheap to pay for unlimited data, though I do use a quik2net connection out of minutes for occassional usage and email checking.  I have about 1400 minutes so am already over $100 bucks on my plan. That is for two phones, and we don't have a business or home phone anymore.

They don't have evdo coverage here anyway, so it would be national access, and I can't see paying the prices for that.

The Qwerty is because I am getting tired of stylus entry.

I use the office apps fairly frequently,  taking minutes at meetings, outlook for scheduling, etc. I do my company expense and activity reports in excel anyway so am thinking of doing them on there.

I would really like an Axim like cable for presentations, but they have not gotten a great solution for run of the mill pocket pc phones yet. That would be the killer app for me as I do presentations fairly often.

I don't like to carry my laptop unless I have to, as the PDA does most things for me. It lasts a lot longer without plugging in at meetings too.

As to wants vs. needs...the i700 http://www.mobiletechreview.com/samsung_i700.htm

does everything I need, and most that I want. So there is no reason to upgrade unless I get a few bonuses :)

Right now the I730 looks like it would have most everything I need AND want, with the exception of a camera.  The I760 is coming out soon and is even better yet wtih WM 6 and a camera, and I will just have to see if it is priced competitively The only thing I don't like about this Samsung line is the size. But you can't get full pda functionality without full size. It looks like the 1760 will be thinner at least.

I am also half-way looking at the pantech 820, since it is a flip-phone form factor, but it just may not have all the options I need.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:34:22 PM by m7feettall »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »
I have a blackberry 7110 from Nextel.

I love it.  Clear, crisp sound. Great battery life. Easy to use.

THings I wish it had:

Voice dialing
camera
external memory

I never worried about office apps but I can read office docs as well as pdf's.  If I need anything else, I pul the old laptop out and connect to the cell network with my laptop's air card on Sprint

Wow, it doesn't have external memory? Guess I never paid attention to that.

yeah, I like the push email on the RIM's but just not sure about some of the other things I would like to have.

I think it would be more stable than WM though.

As to the Pearl, I hear good things about it, but that two etter to one number key arrangement would be a step back from even stylus entry.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
Maybe a Palm Treo 700wx/750 is what you're looking for minus the wi-fi.  The 750 series is rumored to be available on Verizon in mid-may.

My second suggestion is a Blackberry like KnacK suggested.  They have the Blackberry Pearl(8100) now which fits most of those categories.  Pretty useless unless you're getting a data plan though.

The Treos definitely have a lot of what I want. I am hoping Eyefi comes out with a pocket pc solution soon. They have talked about it, but no production yet. It would not hang over like other cards, and has 1 gig built in memory.

The big problem with the Treo right now is the price. It is hundreds more than the I730 with fewer features (though perhaps better integration).

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 05:19:35 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
Color displays are for sissies.

lol, just noticed my phone id was 49.  It's like the 49th cell phone model to be created, probably.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 02:43:41 PM »
Mine:

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »
i have an Samsung A610 not to bad.. i just use it for text/calls

Sandwraith

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 06:13:34 AM »
I have a SE k750i. To me it's really important 'cuz I make a lot of phonecalls. And the camera (2mpx) is good too.