Author Topic: Build 013 Feedback  (Read 13726 times)

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
Re: Build 013 Feedback
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 11:48:41 PM »
i think what he is trying to say is this "he has 2 configs config A and config B. config A has a fun name on it with colors, config B doesn't. when he is playing with config A but then someone comes in and says change "it for some odd reason". he changes it to config B but then it just shows his name as "noname".  
is that right shot?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 12:54:34 PM »
Even if you change your name and change it back it still says noname?  Can you email me the config files so I can test it?  jitspoeATplanetquakeDOTcom

ShotMyself

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 02:00:53 PM »
Exactly Excalibur.  even if I switch it back then it still shows "noname".  I'll send you the configs jitspoe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 06:34:56 PM »
Ok, thanks for the bug report and for sending the config files.  I'm testing it right now -- it looks like there's a lot more going wrong than just the name.  Hopefully I'll have it fixed for the next version.

Edit: update, I've fixed the name thing -- still trying to figure out why it's doing the other stuff.  it's really weird -- it messes up all the entities on the server, like sometimes paintballs won't disappear -- they'll just stick on the wall like they were superglued there, and it thinks there are a bunch of clients on that aren't... eventually it results in a crash.

Edit2: Fixed the rest of it -- apparently you could change maxclients with the seta command, even though you're not supposed to be able to.  It does all kinds of crazy things.  I recorded a demo of a paint grenade.  Even though grenade ffire was on, it didn't kill me:

Download here.  Extract to paintball2/pball/demos and load it through the menu or type "map crazygrens.dm2"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:14:14 PM by jitspoe »

ShotMyself

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 11:14:58 AM »
Thanks, wow my config so buged up? lol ;D

Nice demo lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 11:21:29 AM by ShotMyself »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 01:37:26 PM »
The problem was simply that your maxclients was different than mine, so when I loaded your config, it made things go crazy.  I had mine set at 40 and yours was 16.  That's all fixed now though.

ShotMyself

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 02:48:53 PM »
Well I use 56k  :-[ cough... cough... lol. Could that be the reason for not having 40 clients?

Delirious

• PGP
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2004, 07:19:06 AM »
Could we see a little more information in the logs?

Like connection information such as IP so that hackers can be tracked. Also I would like to see the killed players equipment as well. Maybe a few other variables for statistics, like barrel, hopper, air, etc.. And password attempt failures.

Feuerfuchs

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2004, 12:00:06 PM »
Hi all,

Jit, why did you remove the graffiti paint servers, the match server (m1,m2,m3) are importend to all of us! They are the only server we can use for a match or something else! Can't you get them back?

Greetz,
Feuerfuchs

matt

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2004, 05:42:51 AM »
why does it say please make sure you have an open gl video card or the latest drivers installed, i have a brand new computer that cost like 5000 dollars and im sure its capable to play this game but it doesnt work.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2004, 09:56:55 PM »
ShotMyself: It's simply a setting you can change, but you're not supposed to be able to change it mid-game because it allocates things specially for clients.  It's all fixed now -- thanks for bringing it up.

Delirious: It doesn't log the IP?  I know it displays it at the console.  As for password attempt failures -- are you referring to trying to connect to a passworded server, or trying to login?  Logins are logged to the console.  I can add more info to the logs, but it seems a little excessive to log the entire player inventory.  In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't make that much difference (I assume you're wanting it for statistics?) and makes things more complicated.  Also, writing too much data to the logs can make the server lag.  We noticed this testing it way back when (with just the current log system) -- I suppose it's not so much of an issue with todays hardware, but it used to be things like multiple kills in one frame would make the server pause momentarily.

Feuerfuchs:  There are a number of reasonsthe graffiti servers were removed from the list, but we'll simply sum it up as "admin abuse."  I'd hate for new players to try the game out and have some of the experiences I hear people talking about (on pretty much a daily basis).  You can get the match server ip's from http://www.match.er33t.com/ and connect manually just fine (bring down the console with ~ and type "connect 69.93.11.66:27916", for example).  Usually for matches you connect manually anyway.

matt:  Your problem was addressed in a another thread.  When you get a new computer you always need to go out and find the latest drivers for everything -- or at least key things like sound and video.  The drivers Windows installs automatically generally are not sufficient.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2004, 02:42:02 PM »
It's overall look is of course cool, the better options (After Menu when game is in progress) are part of it and make you feel like you got "Complete Control" over most of the options.

The only part I've been having difficulty with is I don't get the full server list as most are reporting. Only the Apex servers and "Personal" ones, but it's still missing about half of the list.

Sometimes, (This might seem strange) but I can't tell if the round has ended because I'm so used to the "End Of Round-Blue Win etc.) instead of "You Killed J)

I think it might be slightly cooler to have the player ID already on since this seems to be what people like, so they can tell who people are...ask what their doing...etc.

The last part that was better was the Menu area didn't feel so "Slow" and everything felt like it ran smoother.

Anyway...pretty cool  ;D

ShotMyself

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2004, 02:55:56 PM »
ShotMyself: It's simply a setting you can change, but you're not supposed to be able to change it mid-game because it allocates things specially for clients.  It's all fixed now -- thanks for bringing it up.

No thank you jitspoe, your the man.

meat

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2004, 05:32:26 PM »
Jits, I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed) with this release, and I must say, nice job.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2005, 01:38:39 AM »
  It's not really a build 13 problem but more of the new servers problem.  The idle timeout shouldn't be the same as the respawn time.  If the default idle timeout could be set 5-10 seconds longer than the default respawn time then I wouldn't go idle nearly so often.  It quite fustrating when you're camering someone and respawn only to idle out.
   Thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005, 12:28:11 PM »
I'll change the default idle time for the next version, but in the meantime, it's up to the admins to "cvar_set idle 65" (or "rcon pass set idle 65", or put it in the config, whatever...)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2005, 03:59:09 PM »
ok so i did it , ya happy?  you better say yes!!!

couple of things on this but first

1. Why the hell did my fps jump from 150 to 320 on avg ? not complaining just wondering
before you ask vsync disabled on both

2. The mouse sensetivty bar in the menu is twice as sensitive as quake 2's, no wonder your were fliping out about my question, sorry now i know. 

I got a couple of more questions about alpha 13 in reagrds to the way the ball flies, however i need to play more to make sure what i am viewng is accurate.

Overall not bad as a stand alone seems to load more effienctly and alt-enter is very seemless nice job.

3. Replaceing your textures and models with q2's, can this be done?

4. I assume i can customize my own sounds?

Also to save download times on maps that are not in pb2 folder (had to download from apex2 qpb2 tourney map) Can i simply tranfers my q2 maps over and dump them in my pbs stand-alone folder?

will have more questions later, also thankyou for making the start game feature so much easier than q2 .
5. How ez it to import maplists?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2005, 06:46:06 PM »
1. Because it's better. ;)
2. Yeah.  I might up it a little more for the crazy people, but I don't know.
Ball flight is exactly the same -- that's all done on the server side.  The client just displays the models.
3. Standalone supports all of the quake2 stuff, so yes, you can copy old models/textures over.  JPEG's and TGA's take priority over .wal and .pcx though, so you have to either delete the jpeg/tga or convert the .wal to a jpeg/tga file and replace it.  If you prefer certain textures over the new ones, let me know so I can work to improve the new ones.  The whole point of this is to make it better, not worse. :)
4. Yes, and we do need some better sounds, so if you make better ones give them to me and I can include them in new releases.
You can just copy your maps directory over from quake2/pball, yes.
5. Maplists are just text files.  They're easy to make, and with the new version you can even remotely edit maplists while the server is running! :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2005, 07:20:57 PM »
Jits, could you make it so that the ball flight accounts for water, even small chunks that it normally goes through? You could just have it check if there's any water from position 1 to 2, and slow down/stop accordingly.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2005, 08:01:33 PM »
any explantion of why my fps jumped ?
almost doubled like as if vsync as enbaled but wasnt, wierd.
what did you do to optimize fps .
smoke is not as effective ...btw less blinding :(
in the center the same but the farther away  you get the less effective it seems.