Author Topic: Global bans on modded clients?  (Read 2454 times)

CrewmanJinkens

Global bans on modded clients?
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:03:45 AM »
me and friend mod clients to test map on privte sevver now thing come up and tell us global ban warning.  we don't cheat on public server and would gladly except a ban if we did, but we dont want to ban if we playing privte server and not cheat on public.

CrewmanJinkens

Re: Global bans on modded clients?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:05:24 AM »
if we get ban can we still play private server? ??? ??? ???

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 12:10:20 AM »
If you don't set up the server correctly, yes. There must be some way to make sure the server doesn't communicate with the ban list or anything, but I'm not sure. I'd play it safe and stick to non-modified clients.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:19 AM »
Stop modding this game.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:05:39 AM »
And double posting.  :P

BinarySpike

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »
Jenkins won't register (he's to paranoid) so he can't edit his posts, that's why the double post.

loial21: Jitspoe does it all the time, what you mod is the real key.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »
Well, if your gonna modify the client and not play on public servers you should be fine. That is, as long as the modified client never sees the internet. If you have some sort of hardware firewall you could just block DP from leaving the network. I don't think you would be able to do that with a firewall on your computer though.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 10:21:09 PM »
ROFL!
Jitspoe is a dev, no duh he's going to modify it and test it...start your own game and stay away from the dpball community if you have a disagreement with that.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »
There is nothing wrong with modifying content AND not connecting to public servers.  Great things come from mods... Not just Counter-Strike, Paintball 2 and such, but new ideas for developers (Jitspoe and alike).  This community shuns anyone who mods, RIGHTFULLY.  Anyone who mods the content should belong to a forum/community of Paintball Engine modders, not paintball players who highly dislike cheaters.

Binary - Don't be scared away from modding (obviously Jitspoe wasn't - hence this game) just don't mention or peddle it here.. Players hate modders, unless it's something great, or useful.  Simple fact.

Thanks everyone,
y00tz

p.s.
On a side note...
me and friend mod clients to test map on privte sevver now thing come up and tell us global ban warning.  we don't cheat on public server and would gladly except a ban if we did, but we dont want to ban if we playing privte server and not cheat on public.

Why did you need to modify the source to test a map, did you add something new?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »
I'm curious -- why do you need to modify the client to test maps?  What exactly are you changing?

In any case, it's ok to use modified clients offline.  Just make sure "public" is set to "0".