Author Topic: A good read  (Read 2650 times)

Smokey

• Autococker
A good read
« on: June 10, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »
http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

"In one area it explains that in any community there will be a group of members that care about the future of the community and will take action to ensure the community continues to exist. It also goes on to explain that these users need to be given the power to "garden" the rest of the community; otherwise they will more or less give up on improving the community. These users need to be given more control over the direction of the site than the average user or those who wish to be hurtful towards the community."
So true.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
Re: A good read
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 06:50:03 PM »
Lol I ain't reading that whole thing :P

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »
True enough, but in this case the community is given very little control at all, in terms of the game itself. The forums are really a separate entity.

Also, this should be in Other Stuff.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
Also, this should be in Other Stuff.
Not really, it directly relates to the state of this community.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:43:11 PM »
It relates directly to the state of ANY community, according to the article.

Soon, I'll post a link to a long essay about how the internet has people on it. Hey, it's relevant.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »
Ignore eiii Smokey, he is extremely anal retentive and partially blind.  Good article and it's nice to see you contributing something of a positive note to the community and YES, it is directly related as well as being "a good read".

Thanks...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 12:28:23 AM »
Hi doug!

Umm yes good a read and very subjective.

What exactly was your point in posting this?

More precisely, what did you hope to gain or fear to lose?

*was edited. lol grrr.  yootz

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »
I printed it out - I plan on reading it on the plane to Costa Rica (depending on my passport's whereabouts)
Looks pretty interesting.
True enough, but in this case the community is given very little control at all, in terms of the game itself. The forums are really a separate entity.
I think we do have some control, though not enough. 

Smokey where do you stand with this article, other than its a good read?

I second this question.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 12:41:08 AM »
Ignore eiii Smokey, he is extremely anal retentive and partially blind.
I resent the blind bit.

Heh, the whole point of the article is that communities as a whole should be given less control.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 12:43:42 AM »
Heh, the whole point of the article is that communities as a whole should be given less control.

As previously stated, I'll read it on the plane. :P

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
I'll read it one paragraph a day :P

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 04:44:53 AM »
Smokey where do you stand with this article, other than its a good read?
I think its pretty true for 99% of communities in the world, online and offline. Thats about it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
I skimmed through it -- don't really have time to read it in depth.  This section caught my eye, though:

The world's best reputation management system is right here, in the brain. And actually, it's right here, in the back, in the emotional part of the brain. Almost all the work being done on reputation systems today is either trivial or useless or both, because reputations aren't linearizable, and they're not portable.

There are people who cheat on their spouse but not at cards, and vice versa, and both and neither. Reputation is not necessarily portable from one situation to another, and it's not easily expressed.

eBay has done us all an enormous disservice, because eBay works in non-iterated atomic transactions, which are the opposite of social situations. eBay's reputation system works incredibly well, because it starts with a linearizable transaction -- "How much money for how many Smurfs?" -- and turns that into a metric that's equally linear.

That doesn't work well in social situations. If you want a good reputation system, just let me remember who you are. And if you do me a favor, I'll remember it. And I won't store it in the front of my brain, I'll store it here, in the back. I'll just get a good feeling next time I get email from you; I won't even remember why. And if you do me a disservice and I get email from you, my temples will start to throb, and I won't even remember why. If you give users a way of remembering one another, reputation will happen, and that requires nothing more than simple and somewhat persistent handles.

Users have to be able to identify themselves and there has to be a penalty for switching handles. The penalty for switching doesn't have to be total. But if I change my handle on the system, I have to lose some kind of reputation or some kind of context. This keeps the system functioning.

I think it goes hand in hand with the fake nicking article XtremeBain posted.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
Link Jits link please!

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »
I'm too lazy to do it myself but just search for fakenickers