Author Topic: picking an irc network  (Read 10880 times)

magalhaes

• Autococker
Re: picking an irc network
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »
As we saw here there is no reason to stay on GGC.
Smokey is trying to tell us to stay in GGC but all he seems to do is saying things like "stop crying" or "lekky should get a temp-ban" wich is clearly a way to get this thread off-topic or even better to put lekky out of the discussion because Qnet is obviously wining here...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2007, 06:01:59 AM »
I think we should move away from GGC, as there's really no possibility of expansion there. We make up about 1/3 of that server's total population, anyway. Networks like qnet sound nice, but I think 'moving' a third time would just further split the community. There would still be hanger-ons at GGC and ETG.
I think we should move away from GGC to ETG, stay there for a month or so, then move to qnet or wherever we decide.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2007, 06:14:51 AM »
Networks like qnet sound nice, but I think 'moving' a third time would just further split the community. There would still be hanger-ons at GGC and ETG.
I think we should move away from GGC to ETG, stay there for a month or so, then move to qnet or wherever we decide.
Yeah move 4 times so we dont have to move 3 times ??? :P

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2007, 07:10:08 AM »
I don't see this clan being active in the clan community, and why would you expect us to move to that network without this proof? Yes, its a vicious cycle that eats itself, I know.

Also, nice insults in that post, I think it deserves a temp ban.

Clans*  And no you won't see them being active in the community, because the community is based on GGC, and these clans have their bases on QNet so why should they move to a smaller network for a game less popular than the games they are currently playing? What I am telling you is that clans have started playing this game due to my clan having a channel on QNet, but 1 small clan cannot have such a large effect by itself. Again, I have to ask if you research before you post on a topic, or just like to remain ignorant to the facts?

bctrainers

• PGP
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »
Also the aim is not to reach the popularity of warsow or similar games, the aim is to maximise our own potential. The fact is that being on a small network like GGC does little to help us move towards achieving our aim. A larger network, like i have proven on a smaller scale with #qehs on Quakenet, will help us move towatds our goal.

Going to cut to the chase here with: "The fact is that being on a small network like GGC does little to help us move towards achieving our aim."

To be honest, we have been planning a Digital Paint Tourney on GGC and going to advertise it on many various Quake related websites/fansites in the coming weeks + prizes. It takes time to grow, you can never reach a goal in one week or even in a months time.  ;)

While i cannot say that you should stay on our IRC network... we do support much more than what QuakeNet or GameSurge even has to offer service wise. QuakeNet may have a much larger user base and such, but their channel services (L/Q) are bare bone. Their just about the same as EnterTheGame's ChanServ to just put into perspective. GameSurge is a decent network, however doesn't have any scrim commands via ChanServ, all manually typed into a large spam channel. Most channels over there of what i idle are just users amsg'ing for a war or scrim.

However, it is your guys choice on where the community goes.  :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2007, 07:16:41 AM »
bc, I think i've made it clear that I like the GGC server itself, i think the admins do a great job for us and the services offered are great. I'm open to you organising a DP tourny, but I find it hard to see how the effect of that can compete with the effect of a move to somewhere larger like QNet.

bctrainers

• PGP
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2007, 07:22:19 AM »
bc, I think i've made it clear that I like the GGC server itself, i think the admins do a great job for us and the services offered are great. I'm open to you organising a DP tourny, but I find it hard to see how the effect of that can compete with the effect of a move to somewhere larger like QNet.
It's getting the word of mouth out about the game that counts. You do have to take into fact that a lot of the gamers now a days like games with sharp graphics, not graphics that are 1999'ish, if you know what i mean, which has stunted DP2 a bit from growing. remember that users on QuakeNet have a few games on their mind to play, not Digital Paint all the time. All in all, it's advertising about the game. A good attempt to get more users to play the game, more clans to form, and so forth. :)

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2007, 07:43:29 AM »
I think the best advertisment would be some good 5on5 being videocasted. Played on some good maps. Dunno, 5v5, good teams, good maps, should be quite interesting for everybody to watch and after watching to start playing themselves.

lol

bctrainers

• PGP
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
I think the best advertisment would be some good 5on5 being videocasted. Played on some good maps. Dunno, 5v5, good teams, good maps, should be quite interesting for everybody to watch and after watching to start playing themselves.

lol
I know fraps does video recording, but does DP2 have an in-game recorder than a converter to AVI format or the like?  If so, let me know, i'll be glad to help out on that :)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »
It's getting the word of mouth out about the game that counts. You do have to take into fact that a lot of the gamers now a days like games with sharp graphics, not graphics that are 1999'ish, if you know what i mean, which has stunted DP2 a bit from growing. remember that users on QuakeNet have a few games on their mind to play, not Digital Paint all the time. All in all, it's advertising about the game. A good attempt to get more users to play the game, more clans to form, and so forth. :)

Thats exactly what i'm trying to convey, if this game was cutting edge we would not be having this discussion. Of course advertising is needed, and thats what i started out doing, and in fact this idea of moving to a larger network originated from my advertising attempts. Alot of feedback i got from players were along the lines of why we were on "our own irc server" and the fact that we were not on a large server stopped some people taking it seriously, and prevented those that tried the game and were interested from joining our community.

The server we call our home is only one of the factors that will effect the number of players we can attract and keep, it is by no means the "golden key". Other things such as the level of advertising and number of competitions go hand in hand with the server. The success of each relies on the success of the others and all must be considered when trying to achieve our goal.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
Yeah move 4 times so we dont have to move 3 times ??? :P
Not really. One of the 'moves' is just to get people off GGC and in one place, so moving the whole community at once will be easier. As I said, less hanger-ons at GGC.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2007, 10:18:46 AM »
wade, you may as well not post if thats all you say.

I'm still in QNet trying to spread this game. Its been a good response I've been getting. The help of y00tz' new screenshots has been good, and after telling people about the game and showing them the pics, most download it and give it a go, which i can call a success. I just cant help but think how many more people would start playing the game if it wasn't just me doing this :/

You all should know i like GGC, so why don't people start helping me on places like QNet? Its very, very easy to be in both GGC and Quakenet at the same time and even if we just all idle the one channel (rather than creating all clan channels) that must be better than nothing. It all depends on who wants to help the game grow, and who is willing to put in the effort.

bctrainers

• PGP
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
wade, you may as well not post if thats all you say.

I'm still in QNet trying to spread this game. Its been a good response I've been getting. The help of y00tz' new screenshots has been good, and after telling people about the game and showing them the pics, most download it and give it a go, which i can call a success. I just cant help but think how many more people would start playing the game if it wasn't just me doing this :/

You all should know i like GGC, so why don't people start helping me on places like QNet? Its very, very easy to be in both GGC and Quakenet at the same time and even if we just all idle the one channel (rather than creating all clan channels) that must be better than nothing. It all depends on who wants to help the game grow, and who is willing to put in the effort.
I've been talking to users over on GameSurge also to get the word out about the game. however, they seem to be stuck with CSS. :|

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 05:37:56 PM »