Author Topic: Continuation of Server User Limit  (Read 9823 times)

Y2J

• VM-68
Continuation of Server User Limit
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
For whatever reason the previous one got locked, as it was exposed GT members like to abuse their power at times.
It's a common problem, whatever, I've seen numerous people fallen victim to it. (ps, take blitz out of the rotation if you have intercourse a meddling problem with it)

I'm looking at the bigger issue here. People are hopping on the full servers, because why play shazam33 with 0 people and wait, when there is a game already going? There is no variety in the maps on any of the servers, and people don't go wait because there are more spots available, even if it sucks.

I remember back in the day when a server was full, at 12 or 16, I would have no problem going to another server and waiting, because I know others that would be trying to get into that server would see me join, and also end up joining and starting a game.

This day and age though, with 32 limits, and the same map on each one, no one is going to go into a game with 1 person, as opposed to 30. They don't know what it's like to have a decent user limit. But I'm sure they would realize how much better this game actually is (ex; actually getting supplies on shazam22) with lower team levels.

And don't try and accuse me of not knowing what I'm doing again, I admined CAP servers before you ever played this game probably, and was an admin on eR33t servers.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Continuation of Server User Limit
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 02:55:17 PM »
The other thread was locked because it degraded into flaming.  Let's keep this one civil.  Personal insults get things nowhere.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 07:57:50 AM »
Rightio, GT servers need to be reduced, and EV1 if they haven't already (I believe Jits said he was going to do this). Apart from that the majority of the rest are now at 16? OTB speed server can stay at 32 for all its worth :)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »
9 of 15 servers with players on them running at my last check are servers that are set to 32 players.  The fullest servers are the ones with a 32 player setting.  I've watched this bickering match in 3 different threads and it seems to me that a minority few on this forum are the only ones who seem to have a problem with the player max's.  Yeah the "FORUM" vote shows that several agree the player count should be reduced but HEY!!...  A few of you are B I T C H I N G while those servers are full of people who are enjoying the servers as they are.

GT servers are fine just as they are.  We've had them up for what, 4 years now?? YOUR WELCOME!!!!!!

We've tried several different ideas based off of forum votes and every single one of them has FAILED.

As mentioned by Snipen, the servers are the most populated and long lasting servers to date.  eR33t, kudos to ya but how long were your servers up and running??

I'll make it as simple as this before I get pissed off and say something to get myself banned off of the forums....

If you people don't like what other people are paying their own hard earned dollar for in an effort to provide those in the community who might appreciate our concerted efforts to bring said community with game servers for their enjoyment and entertainment, then shut the hell up and go pay for your own.

Simplified, if you don't like it , go elsewhere...

God this thread pisses me off.  How freakin educated does a person have to be to figure out that if they don't like the player count or ANYTHING about a server, their are others they can go to.  P U T H E T I C K!!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:02 PM »
God this thread pisses me off.  How freakin educated does a person have to be to figure out that if they don't like the player count or ANYTHING about a server, their are others they can go to.  P U T H E T I C K!!
I just love sitting in empty servers.

I think it'd be good if pub servers were more like match servers, i.e, lower player count. You will never see a 16v16 match, ever. You'll never see a match server with a respawn time of 5 seconds. The only way we're going to be able to revive the matching scene is by making the conditions in pubs closer to match conditions. Otherwise, it'll be impossible for average players to go from just screwing around in a pub with tons of people to actually being a key member of a team.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:04 AM »
eiii u have a point about making the servers to more like match settings but i  dont think any server admin wants to hear a bunch on noob complaining about the respawn time i remember the last time i was in a gt some noobie came in played one round then asked if there was a server admin to change respawn time i think the reason why the newbs like the lo respawn time is becuz they get more time to play sense there always getting killed and dieing then complain about ppl hacking cuz their simply strafing and hitting jumps i swear the other day a noob cam into irc and asked how do ppl jump so high and far and move so fast and me and superman told him then he reply ok thx im gonna go try that now and be4 he left he goes o yea i thought all of u guys were hacking only if there was a way where we could tell them/explain y its 60 min respawn time and why we jump so far and high

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:03 AM »
I kinda was only able to read half of that before my brain shut down from lack of periods.

Sure, they get more time to play, but less time to play well. If you know that neither your life nor the enemies' matters, you'll play entirely differently. The pubs are just not somewhere you can go to learn matching skills, and that's the reason the clan scene is dead in my opinion.
For the 'noobs complaining', they're noobs. They come and go, and some stick around. If we change the server settings, the next batch will get used to that and be able to integrate into the match scene much more easily. I think it's worth alienating some people to resurrect clan matching.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »
3 days ago i recieved a pm on irc: "your servers have 60 seconds respawn times, taht sucks ;D"

I respondend that this would be the standart setting, and he responded something like:"oh really? didnt knew :D :D, 5 seconds are kewler :)".

Just wanted to prove eiii's point(s).

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 05:22:19 AM »
It's not just the forum majority Picasso. Everyone that is in any decent clan would want the change, whether they post on here or not. I'm fairly sure I'm the only one from my clan that posted, and I know the rest feel the same way. There are lots of people out there who would like it lowered, and probably lots of people who have never experienced it with just 16, and will like it ten times better once they do.

The servers can still be the most populated with 16 player counts and good map rotation, because each one will be full, and everyone will be getting supplies.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:08:52 PM »
We have 5!!!! Count them... 5 MATCH servers available for "anyone in a decent clan" and those who are not. 

Please don't forget that a large amount of players choose NOT to be in clans and enjoy the present PUB play.  We have 4 Pub servers and I'll say again, they are populated quiet well with the present settings and I hear NO complaints from anyone but a minority few from this forum along with a few cheap pot shots and personal attacks against GT and the server admins which of course nullifies said requests.

As mentioned before, the servers were NOT near as populated with low max players settings as they are with the present settings.

I also mentioned last evening that the servers that have their settings at 32 are loaded with people and the ones with 16 have very few people on them.  It's the same again tonight!!  EV1 and GT servers are loaded and all the rest hardly have anyone on them.

Do the math...

We of the GT persuasion have come to the conclusion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

We accommodate the huge majority of the DP community which is clearly satisfied with the servers as they are but we can not accommodate EVERYONE.

Sorry we could not meet your personal needs

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:55:20 PM »
It is broke. I'm just going to restate what I said in my last post, for you sake.

The current setup of servers DOES NOT help new players integrate into the clan scene. If they're not used to being a key part of a team, they'll never learn to communicate or... play intelligently.

You don't hear any complaints because new players don't know anything else. They've only played on huge teams on huge servers. And actually, the only opinion I've heard on the forums against lower the player count is yours.

So long as the huge servers exist, people who don't know any better will flock to them. To get this to work, we need to reduce the count on all the servers. We need to force this restriction on current players, and introduce it to new ones for the good of the community.

I think you can handle having a few less players on your server for the sake of reviving the clan scene. So long as we just have a ton of players bouncing around on pubs without thinking, this game won't be going anywhere.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:09:25 AM »
Are you an idiot picasso? the 16 person european servers aren't populated cause no germans were awake.. wow...

and how are the minority of people for change.. the vast majority is, hense why all the other servers went 16 , and jits wants to make a way to have autochanging of server limits.

Y2J

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 02:42:37 AM »
HEY GUESS WHAT - THE 16 USER LIMIT SERVERS ARE MORE FULL AT THIS HOUR! (MAN, THIS MUST BE PROOF THAT 16 USERS IS THE WAY TO GO)

(IT HAS NOTHING TO DO THAT IT IS 1AM-4AM IN THE USA, AND 10AM IN GERMANY, NOTHING AT ALL)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 02:56:30 AM »
You are being unreasonable. Thank you. Good day.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »
No, he's really not. He's being a bit aggressive, but Picasso is being a bit stubborn. It just looks like you care more about there being as many people as possible on your server than trying to help the community and this game as a whole.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 03:18:02 AM »
Random rant...

Lol No.

I care more people being exposed to this game, not 'my' server or 'GT' per say.

The mappers either have not caught up to the 'craze' of larger hosted servers or the matching community in general has a disfunctional dislike for more random killing by proxy of more people playing. Either way chill the intercourse out and take care of the matching community and build up strong ties that are conducive to a matching community.

Were is your backlash for Jitspoe hosting 32 port servers?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 03:23:39 AM »
He's said he'll change it. I wish he would sooner, but he will.

It's really dumb to say 'MAPPERS HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP WITH THE TIMES' when you practically brought in the new times. There are hardly any maps being made at all right now. How about, you tailor the servers to the maps instead of vice versa?

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 03:31:28 AM »
WOW

What a fabrication. Don't just make up stuff. Here are two SS of the servers tonight 1:30 and 3:50 am .

I have a feeling  jits will be closing this one for flaming also, and the author should have been tbanned from the start as he can't  express his opinion with out attacking others.

But beyond that reread my other post my position still stands . This is my last post on the subject.

Had to add another SS I just took. (4:48 AM)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:06:25 AM by [GT]Snipen »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 03:57:56 AM »
Very good points.
It's really dumb to say 'MAPPERS HAVEN'T CAUGHT UP WITH THE TIMES' when you practically brought in the new times. There are hardly any maps being made at all right now.
Not some dumb if I count quantity of players. New player retention is my main concern. Morons

You can help sort quality of players if you think harder and actually do ground work. I tried that in earlier posts if you would read.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 04:04:30 AM »
I understand your exposure perspective, but you're exposing people to the insane thoughtless side of the game, as opposed to the more tactical smaller match. People who love the chaos aren't the kind of players we want, frankly. They'll do nothing for this community, and they certainly won't join any serious clans. :-\