Poll

who do you think is the best guitarest ever?

JIMMY PAGE(led zepplin)
4 (9.8%)
JIMMY HENDRIX
8 (19.5%)
TED NUGENT
2 (4.9%)
DimeBag(pantera)
0 (0%)
OTHER
27 (65.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: BEST GUITARIST EVER!!!  (Read 11421 times)

MosheD

• VM-68
Re: BEST GUITARIST EVER!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »
John Petrucci, Steve Vai are one of the best Rockguitarist imo. They got feeling and technique. Sure every metalbandguitarist is fast, but 90% of them just shred D-aeolian, or something up and down the neck. A tapping or sweeping here and there. But it's not all about technique. David Gilmour for example is amazing, but not a good shredder. All the jazzguys are fast as hell too, but even there are just 50% who got real feelings in the music. If Jimi Hendrix had the amps and stuff, the guitarist nowadays got, he would have been "better". But the way he played changed rock'n'rock and was one thing, which changed the music to what's it today.

There is much more to say about it, but my english is too bad to write it all down.

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 11:03:10 AM »
Either John 5 or Herman Li from Dragonforce...yeah their metal but Li can play fast for more than 9 minutes.

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:17 PM »
but got NO feeling. he's just fast nothing more

Red Blood98

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »
but got NO feeling. he's just fast nothing more
You have to listen to more than just a few of their songs....If you haven't followed them from the beggining then your not gonna understand it.....there are different types of "feeling".

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
john Butler.

MaDMaN

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 08:08:51 PM »
Dime Bag

DN3K3S

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 10:31:57 PM »
John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, SRV.

SmPeR

• Stingray
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
Dime Bag

forgot about him... pantera used to be my fav band.. ill add him werte elvis was

SuKO-RU

• Stingray
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »
SRV FTW.

Also it would be hard to choose, kind of.  SRV in my opinion the best not only blues player, but guitarest in general.  If it had to be rock only, Hendrix would have my vote.

eXitus

• Committee Member
  • VM-68
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 04:59:12 AM »
Mark Knopfler or Eric Clapton  :)

[GT]Snipen

• Stingray
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 11:36:46 AM »
Eddie Van Halen

That is all that should be said but I will make a comment.

Don't get me wrong I like Jimi Hendrix and some of the others listed , but  Eddie Van Halen had a sound and style unlike any other.

No other guitarist in history has had such an effect as Eddie. He changed the way guitars were played and made. He is one of, if not the most copied guitarist ever, the 80's was influenced by him. His playing style and inventions(they are used on most electric guitars) are still seen today.

Now you can say that some of the others listed had an impact on music as well, but that doesn't change the Fact that Eddies playing influenced an entire period of rock. When Eddie started out  people couldn't believe what they were hearing and Eddie would play with his back to the audience, so no one would be able to copy his playing style.

BEST GUITARIST EVER!!!
Eddie Van Halen

heyneken

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 02:28:09 AM »
Kurt Cobain, Kirk Hammet, Jimmi Hendrix...all the best.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 07:53:21 AM »
let's not forget randy rhodes!!!

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
Eddie Van Halen, no doubt great, but not as legendary as some of the others mentioned.
Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath has had, arguably, the largest influence on the rock/metal sound than any other guitarist/band.
Now I won't say Tony Iommi was a brilliant technical guitarist, like Eddie Van Halen, but his tone and riff writings are still influencing rock and metal today.
As great as Eddie is/was technically, and he's awesome no doubt, he was absolutely destroyed by the likes of Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, <insert blazing fast ultra technical guitarist here>. The issue there was most of those ultra technical guitarists lacked the style of Eddie, and lacked the melodic structure and power of the name of Van Halen,
Keep in mind that Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Jimmy Hendrix, Tom Shultz (Boston), and Brian May (Queen) can also be grouped with Eddie in the "Created a unique sound that influence a genre" class of guitarists. In fact Tom Shultz, an MIT grad, created the FUZZ effect so popular and prominent in Boston music. They just lacked the follow-up ability that Van Halen had. This had more to do with timing than anything else though. Van Halen hit at a time when "party rock" exploded and ACDC was up there on top with the other "party rock" greats.

I can't even believe someone has chose to include that coward suiciding poor excuse for a human, Kurt Cobain, in this thread. Come on, get real. Nirvana was innovative in launching the Seattle scene, and creating a new, spin off, on rock/metal (the grunge movement). But, technically, and in the context of this thread, they, not Cobain or anyone else in that band, holds a candle to the likes of some of those listed here. He was average with cool new sound, end of story.

As I wrote this a post was made on Randy Rhodes. I actually thought about him for this thread days ago. Upon realizing I didn't mention him I felt like I betrayed him and this thread. Randy Rhodes was a genius. So amazing!

To me, Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King (Slayer) are two of the greatest guitarists due to their technical rhythm abilities. No, they aren't blazing fast and technical lead guitarists, but their rhythm creations and style, equally as fastly played as most leads, is second to none.

In all honest, this subject is too broad and too, well, subjective. There's a world of guitarists out there that effect each and every one of us differently. There is no way to develop a criteria for "BEST GUITARIST EVER." There are so many that are so great in so many different ways.

What is a "greatest guitarist," how and why?

Let's take the classical genre and ask, "Why are we not considering them as the greatest guitarists EVER?" In the  old days of solos, duets, quartets, sonatas, concertos, symphonies, and opera, where being a musician was a lifetime, 24/7 dedication, gaining you lucrative employment under a king, if you were good enough, being a musician was about more than gathering a bunch of marginally talented dudes together in your garage and banging out tunes while you, your mom, dog, and neighbors went def. These musicians played by the sheet, and wrote by the sheet. Their pieces were under the utmost scrutiny, potentially costing your life if undesirable. You wrote, you played, and you taught. That's what you did. That's all you did. You were a master of your trade, or you worked a different trade. Popularity was never by accident, or beer induced. Popularity was based on talent and desire.

Some classical guitar pieces are the most intricate, melodic, and beautiful guitar works ever made. They are not just appealing notes played together. They are master pieces eliciting journeys in the mind. Multi-dimensional and unfathomably deep. Soothing and peaceful, as well as, vigorous and exciting. Classical music, in general, is music for all eternity. We (human kind) may never again live in a time where it is commonplace to expect such dedication and perfection in musical works.

To bring up this thread, and not consider the "masters" of guitar from an era long past, gives little credibility to your knowledge of music, and the guitar specifically. The guitar was not invented by Jimmy Hendrix or Jimmy Page back in the 60's. They simply derived their technique & styles from centuries of influence cascading down from each guitarist before them.

Broaden your horizons...Check them out...
Paco De Lucia
Al DiMeola
John McLaughlin
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfTzojPY_I8

John Williams...I can play this on guitar, though not this well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A

Do you laugh at this list, like I do: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time
Cobain-12, Eddie Van Halen-70...wtf...please!

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 04:04:12 AM »
Oh boy.
Some great great guitarists have been mentioned, but are we talking technique, melodic ability, over all talent? And in what style, classical, rock, metal, jazz, flamenco?

The all-time best guitarist ever is Paganini, hands down.
Paganini wrote almost all of his violin works on guitar, along with his many guitar pieces. And he sold his soul to the devil long before Jimmy Page did!

Other great guitarists (not in any particular order):
-Andrea Segovia.
-Yngwie Malmsteen.
-Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de LucĂ­a (get this, you'll not regret: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guitar_Trio).
-Eliot Fisk (Specifically his masterful transposition of Paganini's 24 Caprices for Solo Violin to guitar).
-Brian May (Queen, for the classic rock genre)

The list could go on and on. I, personally, would put Tony Iommi (Sabbath), Angus Young (ACDC), Tom Sholtz (Boston), Alex Lifeson (Rush), and many others on that list, all for their skill, showmanship, creativity, and impact on music. Like I said, the list could go on and on. Even Crosby Stills Nash and Young wrote some awesome folk guitar.

Drummers, did you say?
Neil Peart (Rush)
John Bonham (LZ)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Bill Ward (Sabbath)
Tommy Lee (Motely Crew, yes I said it.)
Vinnie Appice (late Sabbath, Dio)
Andy Newmark (Pink Floyd & Roger Waters - maybe he's just OK, but tripping on acid seeing him play live was life changing).

GAK this list could go on and on also.

to add some drummers:
-Ian Paice
-Chad Weckl
-Dave Grohl
-Jon Hiseman
-Carl Palmer
-Chad Wackerman
-Terry Bozzio
-Vinnie Colaiuta
 etc...

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 04:50:15 AM »
Euronymous from Mayhem.

P.s this is about guitarists not drummers.

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 07:34:57 AM »
whats a drummer? oh... the guy that sits in the back on a chair. nvm

BLONDIE

• Stingray
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:17 AM »
David Lee Roth re-joined Van-Halen!

SmPeR

• Stingray
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »
and sounded REAL smart at that confrence.....

UltraByte

• PGP
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »
Best guitarist ever? Eric Johnson easily wins that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHjDHdu8IQM