Author Topic: Racism  (Read 17658 times)

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
Re: Racism
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2007, 06:09:55 PM »
Yeah, I've never actually seen a game that hands out bans for racism. I've seen people saying ass and hell (NOTHING compared to Halo/2 online), someone complains, and they get kicked, then a kid says "N****r" like 10 seconds later and nothing happened to him. I suppose people think, If it's not offending anyone actually IN the server, it's acceptable. That's not acceptable, at least from my viewpoint.

Alpha

• Stingray
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2007, 05:57:54 AM »
Hmm sad... in germany,discrimination is against the law.
And i'm afraid that you guys don't think about to STOP this thing,just because you aren't that much hit then us Germans...

I've never seen anybody typing "f**k America,the new nazis of today" or something..

And some of you guys should probably pay attention in History in School..or if hes not in school anymore,maybe get some informations about todays Germany...without nazis,and without Adolf Hitler...

Maybe it's a problem of the whole American population to think wrong and its sad that Digital Paintball won't start to fight against racism...but with that kind of community,most Americans would get banned.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:25 AM »
i remember on some servers a while back, when you would say the word "merry"

it would say "im merry just like you" id really like to see that put back in and also anything relating to that.

if people wanna start coming up with bad\racist words and come up with what should be repleaced id like to see it added to the servers!

not only that id like it to be hard copied into digital paints engine, but that is really entirely up to jitspoe, but he hasnt said anything in this thread yett. jitspoe, seems to me that the good part of your community would like to see something done about this.

because when people said something like "YOU ARE merry!"

it would show to the user who typed it, what he actually wrote..... it needs to show him the altered text!

*edit*

im sorry for this admins but most people wont understand, i think, merry = g,a,y
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:20:19 AM by WarWulf »

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 02:33:40 AM »
Caught.

Nice.

Do.

When people call people newb, newbs, noob, or liner, or camper, etc...they really don't mean it. Right?

Just because we, you or them don't think it is offensive does not lesson it for others.

Really people need to act with respect.

Unfortunately we have community that harbors.....unless your caught its not a crime.

Hard people are casted like that. So are most criminals.
Raping your sisters and mothers.
Killing your fathers and brothers.

Well how long does a community last with such ethics?

As long as the community allows them.

Otherwise very intelligent post sir. I Salute.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 04:16:09 AM »
here is a good quote about the topic

tupac - changes!

I see no changes. All I see is racist faces.
Misplaced hate makes disgrace for races we under.
I wonder what it takes to make this one better place...
let's erase the wasted.
Take the evil out the people, they'll be acting right.
'Cause mo' black than white is smokin' crack tonight.
And only time we chill is when we kill each other.
It takes skill to be real, time to heal each other.

some people on here think its ok for them to try to help and hurt at the same time but that just cancels them out.

i really shouldnt have to say their names but we all know who they are. i also wont say anything about who they are just because i dont want to start a flame fest on a perfectly good topic. 

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 04:34:27 AM »
We will see if it´ll change anything. To that time I am joining yours and Loial request to hear Jits opinion.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 04:36:03 AM »
*Bows to an artist I never liked or was versed in. Until I heard this song I was taught to think that all 2pac / tupac (dont know the man, so forgive me ignorance) was a bunch of thug nonsense. I know and respect this song and to statements from him that are true.

This was not my fault or my will.

I was taught that to hate thugs and to hate thug haters was normal. No hate was unsafe, ever. that is Loial's racism.

Because, hate is  prominate from where we have grown up, we all tend to hate more then we really should.

Live.

Love.

Mate.

Reproduce.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 05:02:09 AM »
We will see if it´ll change anything. To that time I am joining yours and Loial request to hear Jits opinion.

thank you kind sir.

id also like to make note on how there isnt much of the older dp community speaking about making changes, i wonder why and at the same time am sad that they dont care.

thank you all for keeping this topic on track

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 08:27:17 AM »
id also like to make note on how there isnt much of the older dp community speaking about making changes, i wonder why and at the same time am sad that they dont care.

Oh, you mean like this?  I believe that it has to do with the change of the gaming culture as a whole.  I seem to remember that Counter Strike was terrible for griefing and harassment and it seems that PB2 has just taken its lead.

Alpha

• Stingray
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 10:13:12 AM »
Hmm,actually I'm not a newbie... i play this game for like 3 years...I'm not watching this thing in here too much...but after some hate on servers it just broke out off me...

I'm actually not sure if you guys are making fun of me or if there has been a change i would recognize with satisfaction ...

I'm waiting for Jits answer since the start of this topic...but I've heard he has got much stuff to do,so i don't think that he will look at this thread soon.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
SInce people seem to be wondering where the elders are, we're here.

Back several years ago, there ws a program that was a word proxy. No swearing, racist remarks, it workedrealyl well.  But it was a HUGE PITA to set up and keep running.

Mustang had it on his servers and I had it on mine.  This was before PunkBuster came about.

SOme of you young pups wonder why us old geezers are here.  Like " WTF is wrong with you old man - get a life" 

I get that all the time in servers, pm's and irc.

I have been on here since '98 and have seen the changes come and go.  We currently have an age range from about 10 years old all the way up to the ripe old age of 42.

Now, with that being said, there is a huge seperation between teh younger crowd and the older crowd - a generation gap would be a better description.  There are things that the younger players say and do on the servers that I would never have done, even in public.

Fortunately, I believe these ill ones are in the minority and usually don't hang around very long.  But there are exceptions. A lot of players vent online sicne they cant in real life. a second persona if you will perhaps?

I know I'm rambling a bit, but I do care about the game.  It's a shame that some people act like mules in it.
* KnacK goes back to work.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
* y00tz stops waving the American flag behind KnacK and goes back to work

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
it would show to the user who typed it, what he actually wrote..... it needs to show him the altered text!
The reason for this was because,
a) It would take about 2 seconds for even the lesser intelligent people who use these kinds of insults to figure out how to avoid the filter once they saw it in action.
b) It's more entertaining when people are unknowingly insulting themselves when they mean to insult other people, and thus keep doing it.

That can still be enabled: set swear_filter 1, I believe.

Ultimately, I think the most feasible solution is client side word filters.  Let people build up a list of things they don't want to see, and any chat message with that text will not be displayed.

(Hint: Vote for this in the 2007 feature vote thread).

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
* y00tz stops waving the American flag behind KnacK and goes back to work
*Steeb stops watching and goes back to work

eagle

• Stingray
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
i can finally understand loial

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2007, 03:32:23 AM »
Oh, you mean like this?  I believe that it has to do with the change of the gaming culture as a whole.  I seem to remember that Counter Strike was terrible for griefing and harassment and it seems that PB2 has just taken its lead.

ive been playing a lot of counter strike lately and i hardly ever hear anyone say anything bad. maybe i just found good servers with good admins.

but yeah from what ive seen lately digitalpaint has way more harrasment PER CAPITA. seeing as there is only about 20 dp servers and about 21000 cs servers

knack. i remember your server for having the swear word filter and i remember mustangs server. mustang gave me a special password that would allow me to login to the name UNiBonGeR anyone who would try to use the "UNi" in there name would automaticly get kicked.. i really appreciated mustangs for helping me out with the dp trolls, i was really sad to see his server die.

The reason for this was because,
b) It's more entertaining when people are unknowingly insulting themselves when they mean to insult other people, and thus keep doing it.

that is kindda funny for them not to see it but even though people that are jerks should be entitled to emberessing themselfs and eventually stop saying such stupid things!

Ultimately, I think the most feasible solution is client side word filters.  Let people build up a list of things they don't want to see, and any chat message with that text will not be displayed.

thats what i suggested a few post up:

if people wanna start coming up with bad\racist words and come up with what should be repleaced id like to see it added to the servers!

glad some of the older community has responded, and thank you jitspoe for joining the thread conversation.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2007, 04:26:30 AM »
CS has a good system where racial slurs and offensive words gets ****.

hauke

• VM-68
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
Topic: You don't like it as a antifascist German to get called Nazi from someone who lives in a nation with an so called "republican" government. We speak English, play on American servers and never call you a USAhole (even if 70% of human population does in real life). So i don't understand why so much American players are so racism against German ppl. We all have the right to exist, you should not hate me just for the fact that I'm born in germany. Thats just wrong.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
What is your problem?  Did you just HAVE to get that off your chest?  How is "USAHole" comparable to Nazi?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2007, 04:56:05 PM »
Y00tz, he has a good point, even if it was presented a little aggressively. I don't really see why you disagree with him, here. :P