Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278190 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2007, 02:26:41 AM »
I'm starting work on build 18 and the UDP serverlist/login system.  I've put together a little UDP test app here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5285.msg62970#msg62970

I went ahead and started on the UDP system for the serverlist.  It can communicate with the central server and download a list.  Currently that list is just read up from a test file, but when the whole system is set up, the game servers will communicate directly with it like a q2master server and we'll probably do away with the old HTTP system all together.  This means it's going to be kind of critical for both clients and servers to update in the near future.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »
This means it's going to be kind of critical for both clients and servers to update in the near future.

YAY!!!!!!

THere is NO reason for ANYONE to be running anything other than the most current client.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2007, 12:11:47 AM »
More progress on the UDP serverlist system for build 18.  I threw in a random string for a little more security.  If you send a request out to retrieve a serverlist, the packets you get back have to contain this string or they get ignored.  This is just a preemptive measure to keep some malicious "serverlist" from sending out spoof server IP's to clients and having them blindly add the ip's to their list.

I came across something really weird when I had the UDP serverlist server up.  A bunch of different ip's started sending status packets.  I have no clue how or why.  I made a thread about it for discussion here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5384

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2007, 02:27:06 AM »
Making fair progress on the UDP stuff.  I've got a UDP server listening and forwarding the data to the localhost HTTP server at the moment so I don't have to rewrite a bunch of stuff.

On a loosely related note, is there a documented order in which url encoded values are parsed?  Like if I have http://www.test.com/test.php?test=123&test=abc, would "test" be "123" or "abc", and is that standardized?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
I think it would be "abc", but its the last "test" in the url.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #225 on: March 23, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »
Still trudging along with this UDP stuff.  In some ways it's good because I don't have to worry about blocking (and dealing with multithreading to avoid it), but at the same time, there is some ugliness with it.  I send off a packet and hope for the best.  Then maybe I get a packet back, but it's at a different time and in a different place in the code, and may not be in response to the packet I just sent.  I've started assigning clients unique id's that are randomly generated on connection to help keep track of who, where, and how responses from the global login server are to be applied.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2007, 02:41:30 AM »
UDP stuff for build 18 is progressing well.  I still need to re-implement the global ban system and apply a few more tweaks, but after that, it's mostly testing.  I should probably try to resolve that random crash to desktop issue before I release build 18 as well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
Fixed a crash caused by status packets while watching a demo.  I think about all that's left for the UDP stuff is the server list.  I'm trying to decide if I want to store that in a database or just keep it present in memory on the UDP server.

I'm also trying to figure out what's causing the lag issues on EV1.  Upon further investigation, it seems to be a different kind of lag than I've seen in the past because it actually impacts framerate.  It's like the sockets are blocking when they shouldn't be.

Sharp

• VM-68
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »
Is anything happening with the actualll game play or...

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #229 on: April 20, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »
Fixed a crash caused by status packets while watching a demo.  I think about all that's left for the UDP stuff is the server list.  I'm trying to decide if I want to store that in a database or just keep it present in memory on the UDP server.

Why not XML?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #230 on: April 20, 2007, 03:13:57 PM »
Jitspoe hates XML :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
Hates it, or just doesn't understand it? Interesting. 

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »
Hates it, or just doesn't understand it? Interesting. 
Hate.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »
Holy smokes, a news update.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »
I should have just gotten a Windows server.  I don't get paid enough for this crap.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »
Holy smokes, a news update.

At the end of the news it said check for updates. Now honestly do you plan on updating that news? :)

I should have just gotten a Windows server.

Windows Home Server FTW ;D

Edit: knoc slaps me around for that comment
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:16:16 PM by KiLo »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »
I should have just gotten a Windows server.  I don't get paid enough for this crap.

Hmm? For what purpose?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »
When I was using a Windows Server, I said the exact Opposite.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2007, 03:16:45 PM »
I had xamp up and running in 5 minutes on windows.  In Linux I have to deal with crap like this that doesn't even remotely make sense, not to mention all the dependency issues I ran into trying to get everything installed.

Windows: Double click on an executable and click next a few times. 5 minutes.

Linux: Edit lots of configuration files, search google for obscure commands and parameters, edit more config files, scream and break keyboards, execute more commands, try to figure out why things aren't working, read man pages, scream some more, edit more config files, execute more commands, post on forums for help, try to make sense of things, give up. 20+ hours.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2007, 04:20:15 PM »
I had xamp up and running in 5 minutes on windows.  In Linux I have to deal with crap like this that doesn't even remotely make sense, not to mention all the dependency issues I ran into trying to get everything installed.

Windows: Double click on an executable and click next a few times. 5 minutes.

Linux: Edit lots of configuration files, search google for obscure commands and parameters, edit more config files, scream and break keyboards, execute more commands, try to figure out why things aren't working, read man pages, scream some more, edit more config files, execute more commands, post on forums for help, try to make sense of things, give up. 20+ hours.
Sounds like you're not giving your cat enough attention.