Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278193 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2007, 06:36:55 PM »
I think he needs to ditch his dvorak keyboard :p

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2007, 06:56:26 PM »
Well, most everything is transferred over to this alternative server.  Hopefully this works out and I don't have to mess with another relocation.  Once everything is set up, this will become the new dplogin.com and the old one will be shut down.  I don't want to pay for another month of two servers.

On the subject of paying, I think what I'm going to do on the new dplogin database is start the account numbers at 3000 and reserve the lower-number id's for people who have made donations to help make them stand out a bit more -- kind of like what was discussed here.  This will also hopefully prevent abuse/garbage from people trying to register a bunch of accounts to get a number that they want.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »
OK...

How much for a reserved number?
* KnacK logs in to his PayPal account

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2007, 02:47:43 AM »
I didn't really have a specific amount in mind.  I believe you have already made a donation, so you'd be good to go for a low id number if you want it.

Status update:

As you've probably noticed, dplogin.com points to the alt server now.  Once I've given the domain names time to propigate, I'll remove the "alt." stuff on the forums.  You can still access the old ip using old.dplogin.com, however that server will probably be shut down tomorrow.

If anybody knows how I can get in touch with delirious, I'll need the dpball.com domain to point to the new server as well.  A lot of things still use that.  I imagine it will break the server lists, though the redundant lists on the gamespy server might hold it over.

Build 18 is almost done.  The new serverlist system currently has some limitations (about 160 servers max) and it doesn't have a delay between pinging servers like the old one did, so pings will probably be inaccurate, but it'll do for now, I think.  Only thing is, there are no servers on the list because they need to be updated to the latest version.  Also no code yet for server removal.  And I think there's still some work to be done on the UDP version of the global ban list.  I was hoping to have everything wrapped up by the end of this month, but no dice.  Shouldn't be too much longer, though, I hope.

Apache is still acting quirky and I can't get the symlinks for maps and some other files to work.  I hope I have everything copied over to the new server.  I'm going to request they shut the old one down tomorrow so I don't get billed next month.  Be prepared for some downtime.  Worst case, the planetsuper.com forums are still up.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Cancellation request has been put in for the old EV1 servers.  No turning back now.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »
How much for #1337?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2007, 12:11:13 AM »
How much is it worth to you? :)  Maybe I should put some of the better numbers up for bid, haha.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »
How much is it worth to you? :)  Maybe I should put some of the better numbers up for bid, haha.

GREAT idea!!! Or at least make someone pay a premium for a custom number.

In the spirit of John C., I want 666

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
Maybe I should put these up on ebay. ;)

In other news, the old EV1 server is gone.  Aside from a few quirky permission issues, the new one seems to be working fine.  I got in contact with delirious and he has forwarded the dpball.com domain to the new server.  Strangely enough, the ping to the new one seems to have gone down for me for whatever reason.  That's certainly a good thing.  Hopefully it will stay stable.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »
Maybe I should put these up on ebay. ;)

In other news, the old EV1 server is gone.  Aside from a few quirky permission issues, the new one seems to be working fine.  I got in contact with delirious and he has forwarded the dpball.com domain to the new server.  Strangely enough, the ping to the new one seems to have gone down for me for whatever reason.  That's certainly a good thing.  Hopefully it will stay stable.
$13.37?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2007, 02:22:56 AM »
Getting close to finished, I think.  I have global bans over UDP mostly implemented.  The only issue is that the ban message doesn't get sent before the kick, or something to that effect, so if you're on the ban list, you just get kicked from the game with no explanation.

Edit: Think that's fixed now.  Still a lot left to wrap up, though.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
What's left on the checklist?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »
I need to wrap up the new global ban system and put an interface on it so I can actually add bans.  Naturally, I have to get all the old bans transferred over as well.  I also have to implement a UDP version of the new build check and probably a handful of other minor things.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
Ok you lost me at UDP, lol. I don't understand computers all too well, but can't wait for it.

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2007, 02:32:42 PM »
Sounds like a Steam sort of idea.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »
I disagree - a global ban shouldn't be tied to the word Steam.

After all, when a ValveĀ® blows, it makes Steamā„¢.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
As you've probably seen, I believe I have the windows version of build 18 done.  I still need to get the Linux version done and get all the bans transferred over to the new global ban system (which means coding an interface for it for my own sanity).

There's still a little bug where it seems you can't un-save your password, but at this point, I'm ready to move on.  I'm sure plenty of other things will crop up that need attention, anyway.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »
*whew*  All that work to get another release together and... eh, it seems kind of anticlimactic.  I've still got a bit of work to do on the web side of things.  The ban list interface isn't done yet and I need to add IP logging for account registration, and then there's going to be the big switch from the test database to the live one.  I also need to add a way to change people's global login id's so I can assign donors lower values.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
OK, lots of stuff:

- I need to get the lag issue that several people have complained about ironed out.  I think this has to do with either the client side file validation or DNS resolving while communicating with the login server.  Maybe a combination of both.  I'll try to whip up some DNS caching in the next version to see if that fixes it.
- I need to implement account deletion functionality to cleanly remove all references to a global login account from the database tables.
- I need to implement an account number changing functionality to properly update all tables.
- I'm still not confident the method I'm using for storing a list of hardware ID's is the best approach.  I'll probably make a new thread about that for discussion.

With the exception of the first item, all those things must be completed and tested before I switch over to the live database, just in case I screw something up royally.

I have implemented an admin function to change passwords, though, so if anybody needs that, just ask.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  There have already been over 2000 accounts registered.  I must say, I'm pretty surprised that there has been so much activity.  I hope everybody is aware that they will need to re-register.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2007, 05:32:44 PM »
Also  forgot to mention that I still need to get the global ban interface done so I can add bans.  I'll probably have quite a bit of catch up to do once I get that set up...