Author Topic: Semi-auto firing...  (Read 10435 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Semi-auto firing...
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2003, 07:33:26 PM »
heh, when I played paintball in real life, we just had 40 balls per round, 'cuz they're so expensive when you have several ppl playing...

oddjob

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
I definatly think you should take into great consideration bains ideas.

TEKNIKAL

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2003, 01:32:37 PM »
Hey Jit you sure bout the ammo thing coz i was at the nearest center and the ammo is $2 per 100 balls (i think thats the right cost in dollars) or free if you bring your own paint.

Anyway Bain's idea is interesting but if you do use it have it as an admin variable

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2003, 02:46:02 PM »
Wow thats cheap like.. 7-8 years ago they were expensive as hell.. guess I havent kept up ;]

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 08:41:57 AM »
Jitspoe Dont u dare touch the guns spraying ill be sad 8(
and no burst or clicky finger buttons and lol i remember the 3 shot burst excrement on TCA server and fornal i pwn joo with my pgp ;)

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2003, 05:11:16 PM »
"Those are some intersting ideas Xbain. " - Interestingly sarcastic ones =)

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
I know it's old as hell thread but IMO it deserves to be reconsidered.

Why not make Stingray or VM-68 actually semi auto? In that 1 click = 1 ball and no holding for spraying? I mean those guns suck at auto anyway so it would make them more interesting. And to stop anxious fingers why not impose minimal delay between shots on semi? Some diversification could imo help keep people more interested in overall experience.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »
There is a setting to make all guns fire semi auto - g_autofire 0 - but not to only make specific ones do it.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 02:20:22 AM »
I know it's old as hell thread but IMO it deserves to be reconsidered.

Why not make Stingray or VM-68 actually semi auto? In that 1 click = 1 ball and no holding for spraying? I mean those guns suck at auto anyway so it would make them more interesting. And to stop anxious fingers why not impose minimal delay between shots on semi? Some diversification could imo help keep people more interested in overall experience.

People would just avoid those guns like the plague, then, regardless of their accuracy. In this department, things are fine as they are.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »
It would be a good idea, but the gun would have to be rated very highly, as you could click up to an almost an autococker speed.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
Heh, that was my whole point - to promote guns like Stingray and VM-68, essentially useless right now if there is spyder or better gun on the map. Also, I think that many would be put off by need to continously tap mouse button and therefore prefer full autos. But since most are dead set that things are fine the way they are...

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 06:18:03 AM »
 I actually think this is a good idea now. Bare with me:

So, we have 2 guns, which are 'good' guns at the moment - carbine and autococker. Others are just useless and not needed, with the exception of PGP, you can play PGP battles with it, otherwise its useless. Now you might think that 'what the fack moran, why did u leave out autumag, you fagel?!?!??!". Automag has one good place where you can use it - when you want to spray over some hill. Now, let's make 1 thing sure here - I do not like spraying, but anyway, automag is useless, because you can't collect weapons and in common situations automag is not prefered (please remember that although automag can release more balls, carbines and cockers bullets are FASTER).

Spyder is just annoying gun. Mappers seem to think that it is an okay gun and place it to their maps. what the fakk. It's useless. The balls are slow, imo it looks bad (I think carbine looks so hot, and when i used to play with sound [years ago] I like the sound of that gun the most as well).

So, we have 8 guns. 2 are used  - carbine and autococker(I personally prefer carbine, but I don't really bother to get an carbine when I already have a cocker - all in all, in my eyes, those 2 guns are equal), 2 seem to be okay - spyder and automag -  but we clearly prefer carbine and autococker to them. PGP is a niche gun - you can LOL around and shoot your clanmates while you are really bored and play expert 8 fights.

Trracer, Stingray, VM-68. Why do we have those guns? Just to have more guns in the game? To be honest, jitspoe is always like 'uuuuh, dont add that double jump there, noobies cant do that!!!". Well lol, you have 8 guns in your game. Confusing excrement man!

Suggestions:
PGP - Very accurate (needs no barrel, shoots perfectly straight [like it has a steel barrel]). Infinite ammo - when holding a PGP you don't have a hopper/ball count/gas in your HUD, just shoot. Makes the gun useful.

Trracer - Remove
Stingray - Remove
VM-68 - Remove

Spyder - Semi-auto! Shoot as fast as you can - 1 click, 1 shot.  Should have some sort of cheat protection though. I imagine that if you can code a aimbot/wallhack and whatnot, it is possible to code some script that just shoots sooooo fast. While we don't have that cheat protection, you could set some upper limit (like you couldnt send out more balls than you could with a carbine or whatever).

Carbine - Look Autococker
Autococker - The 2 guns - carbine, autococker - are so similar at the moment. Like I said before, I dont really care which gun i have. I think having 2 similar guns is useless. I don't really have a clue how to accomplish that. Ideas?

Automag - Actually this is a good 'niche' gun as well. Lets take airtime as example. You take the airtime, and u can go and shoot over that hump like you couldn't with a carbine. It could come as an surprise to the enemy team.

I said we should remove Trracer, Stingray, VM-68. Whaaaat?? What about the maps what have those guns? I am sure it is easy to 'change' guns in those maps either by the mapper to his liking(.ent files), or by some code that would just change those guns into like carbines or whatever.

Yes, this is a drastic change, so it won't happen, but yeah, I had fun writing this post.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
I think all the guns are different enough already apart from the VM68 and maybe Stingray, which just serve to annoy.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »
 What do you mean different enough?

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »
I think all the guns are different enough already apart from the VM68 and maybe Stingray, which just serve to annoy.

Yep. And that's the point of this whole discussion IMO. Weapons only to annoy when in fact they could be perfectly usable and competitive.

Also just because gun is semi does not mean you can spray it with every click. You may put reasonable minimum delay (100ms is my guess) between shots to prevent from abusing this weapon.

Some food for thought.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
The problem with semi-auto firing is that people will likely make scripts/binds/macros to fire the weapons as fast as possible.  All of the real life weapons the game is modeled after are semi-auto or pump, so having some be auto and some semi-auto doesn't really make sense.

8 guns really isn't that many.  Most games have more.  Weapon auto-pickups is an easy solution to avoid confusion among new players: http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10211

Personally, I like the lower-end weapons, and strategically placed weapons can make maps more interesting (rush using the shortest path with lower-end equipment, or go out of the way a little more to get better equipment).

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 03:37:39 AM »
8 guns really isn't that many.  Most games have more.  

Personally, I like the lower-end weapons, and strategically placed weapons can make maps more interesting (rush using the shortest path with lower-end equipment, or go out of the way a little more to get better equipment).

Most games have different guns for different purposes.

Name me some maps where guns are placed strategically? (where it really makes sense)

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »
The problem with semi-auto firing is that people will likely make scripts/binds/macros to fire the weapons as fast as possible.

It's pretty easily rendered impossible by imposing minimum delay between shots.

(rush using the shortest path with lower-end equipment, or go out of the way a little more to get better equipment).

Hardly any of frequently played maps nowadays are made that way. And even if so, lower end usually means at least Spyder SE :D So definitely yes in theory, but not so much in practice.

Most games have different guns for different purposes.

After all ViciouZ mentioned one reason to have these lower end guns: to annoy :D
There is no such problem with carbine, cocker and mag though.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »
I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE KIDDING

TRRACER IS #2

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 05:51:35 AM »
Hardly any of frequently played maps nowadays are made that way. And even if so, lower end usually means at least Spyder SE :D So definitely yes in theory, but not so much in practice.

In theory this game would attract a close-knit community full of intelligent, kind, mature, dedicated, and productive individuals who would strive to make the game as fun and competitive as possible but hey, all you can do is try. Better to try to be good than succumb to being crappy, eh?