Author Topic: Tweak: Return Ball Speed To Previous Setting  (Read 20084 times)

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: Tweak: Return Ball Speed To Previous Setting
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Definitely is your name

And it throws off people's aims. Pgp'ing is harder, lines dont work the same on some maps, aim is drastically thrown off on some of the easiest maps and habits dont work.

idk it was kinda random imo

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
Of course it throws off people's games- it's a major change. But major changes happen, usually (sometimes?) for the better. This game is in development- just because something's one way now doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

And it definitely is not.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
Erich. gg

Eiii

• Autococker

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
Man, This is silly. I hadn't even noticed, you can hardly tell that the ball speed has been changed.

~MT

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 08:07:20 PM »
lol magical-tree you dont match that often so I wouldn't expect you to

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
It's noticeable. You have to aim slightly higher now. Regardless though, I've gotten used to it. :/

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 08:13:50 PM »
It's noticeable. You have to aim slightly higher now. Regardless though, I've gotten used to it. :/

what do you play as? inever see you

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 08:39:50 PM »
I only play nowadays to let off steam (not to win), so you'll usually find me as 'newbie.' I can line, rush, and suck all I want without giving a excrement. :D

(Not to mention the ping problem I have.)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »
Here's what I wrote to picasso when he asked why:

There were several reasons.  Not sure if you remember the old ball flight and how slow the balls were - you had to aim at the sky half the time.  That was due to a limit on the max velocity.  We figured out how to get by that and I researched the velocity of real paintballs, which several sites listed as 300fps, so we set that as the ball speed.  At the time, of course people complained (I think mostly because the vets didn't have a huge advantage over new players anymore).  I think some referred to it as a railgun.  But I just figured that's the way it was supposed to be, not that familiar with real paintball.  I've been playing real paintball a lot recently, and noticed that the range of real paintballs vs the ones in the game are significantly different.  Balls will bounce off of people halfway across a small speedball field as opposed to the game where you can pick people off across the map that are up on a 20-story high ledge.  I was also annoyed at times where players could shoot all the way across a medium to large sized map and pin people in the base.  Kind of ruins the gameplay and takes away from the spirit of the game.  Paintball is more about close-range combat.  There are plenty of other games you can play if you want to shoot people across the map.

Anyway, I started looking at the code some more, and not only was the base speed high (300 fps vs 280 fps), but with the barrel upgrades, the velocity went over 400 fps.  I figured it was time to tone things down a bit, but I didn't want to have a drastic change, so I just dropped the base velocity down to 285fps for now.  I'm not sure if I'll go any further since I've been catching some flak for changing things.  I think ultimately it's better for the game overall, though.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
Not sure.. But last time i checked this was digital paintball, you cant jump 200 ft through the air in real paintball.  Why change a setting everyone liked.  There were no complaints about it.  In fact you are getting alot of complaints because you changed it.  Maybe we should start a petition or something to get this changed back.

Edit:  At least add this to the feature vote so that it can be voted on, maybe you are wrong about it being better for the game jitspoe.  Please let the community decide.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »
I can actually hit excrement with the new ball speed. :) but i dont mind what its changed to aslong as people are still playing :)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:50 AM »
This change threw me off.  I love playing it at school when people run build 16 servers.... Lol.  I still havn't exactly adjusted to it yet.  I liked the old one.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
Just leave the ballspeed as it is. It helps newbies to integrate. I think it should change regularly to stop people getting 'too' good in pubs and to sttract new players (if they think that they are doing well)

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:53 AM »
i been owning with new ballspeed, Dont take that away from me.  :'( :'( :'(

Keep it the same

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:39 AM »
There were no complaints about it.

Err, I would've complained if the ball speed was so slow that you had to aim really high to get someone. At least in real paintball you could aim up and look down slightly at what you're shooting at. It sounds like at the old speed you couldn't see infront of you because you were too busy trying to shoot somone by aiming up.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »
??? What are you talking about, the old speed was faster.  I don't think the speed should be changed to help the newbies integrate.  More newbies started to play back when the ball speed was normal, this just messes everyone up,  why make everyone that knew how to aim learn how to again??  Good way to thank the people that have been playing this game for years.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
He's new.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
I think it should change regularly to stop people getting 'too' good in pubs and to sttract new players (if they think that they are doing well)

Wow... one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.  Yeah lets stop people from getting good... Honestly terrible idea.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
Wow... one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.  Yeah lets stop people from getting good... Honestly terrible idea.
Yeh, its like starting from scratch again.  You need good people to compete against.  If they start again it gets all boring.  Thats why there are global login servers and beginner servers......