Author Topic: HELP ME WITH MY MAP!  (Read 10274 times)

Lightscriber

HELP ME WITH MY MAP!
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
I have created maps using the Valve Hammer Editor and i am a pro at it. Problem is switching editors and learning over again is a big problem. I have downloaded the official map maker from this website and its too hard to follow especially since the screen is all messed up with crazy line colors and stuff.

K well i heard of Worldcraft for making quake 2 maps and is it possible to create PBALL maps off that?

I have tried to apply some of my precious counterstrike maps into and it reads even the .wad file. Soi tried to complie it into PBALL mod and it keeps saying that it could not locate my BSP and isnt that what it is suppossed to make?

Any advice?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: HELP ME WITH MY MAP!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
I haven't played with the Hammer editor, but with a little work, it's probably possible to get it to make paintball2 maps (though the license agreement may prohibit this).  Worldcraft also would require some setting up to get it to work with paintball2.  There were some files for it at one point, but I think they've long disappeared.

Lightscriber

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 10:40:07 PM »
Ok i just tested my compiler with the sample.map and its works fine.

Now! with my .map file that was created using valve hammer editor was loaded using the BSP editor sussecfully.

Is it ok if i leave textures using the .wad file or should i apply new set of textures that came with my game?

Also the entities are still in counterstrike format and i probably should figure out how to change the lights and the triggers into the way they can be read by the BSP program

Also my map is very big with detail as you can see in http://www.csm2.net/view_map.php?map_id=2117 how will i set the viewing distance to the map wont be cut off as it was in counterstrike? Also can the BSP compiler take this map (meaning it wont be confused)?

Also if you do know where the files for the worldcraft are to make pball maps please send them to me.
Thanks

Lightscriber

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 11:02:25 PM »
I have another question.

How do i move the 3d camera view in the screen and select the entities so i can change them?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 11:06:39 PM »
You can use the arrow keys to move around in the 3d view, delete and pgdn look up and down, pgup resets the view.  Shift + up/down moves up and down.  To select and edit an entity, shift+click on it (or just click in the 3d view) and press "e"

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:02:22 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Lightscriber

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
OK thatnks alot that helped me big time.

Also i made a really cheap map and it wrtoe he bsp but coudnt read the prt. is that a good thing or a bad thing? Although my map still works.

Now im trying to use my big detailed map into the bsp and i try to apply texture to it and i have to do it one by one (face by face)? Why cant i select the whole polygon and texture it because my map is way to big doing it one by one espacially with the lag its creating over worldcraft 3 second delay?

Any tips?

Lightscriber

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 02:22:04 PM »
Also another thing.

How to i specify the size of the CO2 tank and the type of paintball gun if it doesnt give me a selection?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 02:25:22 PM »
You might be better off using the .wal files in the BSP pack as they more accurately match the current textures.  As for the entity questions, this should help: http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/v2/docs/ents.html -- it's pretty old and outdated, though.  The entity documentation in the BSP pack is a little better, but WC is a crappy editor and about the only one that won't read standard entity files. :P

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:00:41 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:02:07 AM by Dirty_Taco »

Lightscriber

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
OK well i am using worldcraft to make my maps but not to compile it because it just wont work.

I am also using worldcraft to apply texture using the ones in BSP folder

I am also applying the entities in it which seems to me that worldcraft chooses random types of them. WHY? because i can't get the BSP editor to place more than one entity for some strange reason which i hope you guys can tell me.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 07:38:22 PM »
You need to add the "type" key to your entities to specify what type of item you want, otherwise they will be random.  To place another entity in BSP, hit ESC to deselect the one you have selected, then hit "Make entity" again.

Lightscriber

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 09:33:50 PM »
Well when i try to do the type thingy I added the "type" in as the key and the value as "g_autoc" and it still gives me random but i guess its best to do this in BSP

Lightscriber

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
Hey i finally changed everything around in my old counterstrike map and i know it compiles my other maps fine but this time it says.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>call ..\compilers\qbsp Crossroads2

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>..\..\util\qbsp3 Crossroads2
---- qbsp3 ----
entering c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\Crossroads2.map
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (2)
0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9... (2)

************ ERROR ************
SubdivideFace: didn't split the polygon

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>call ..\compilers\vis Crossroads2

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>..\..\util\qvis3 Crossroads2
---- vis ----
reading c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\Crossroads2.bsp

Error opening c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\Crossroads2.bsp: No such file or dire
ctory

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>call ..\compilers\rad Crossroads2

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>..\..\util\arghrad -gamedir C:\bsp\quake2\pball Cro
ssroads2
----- ArghRad 2.00 by Tim Wright (Argh!) -----
Modified from original source code by id Software

----- Settings -----
 -gamedir set to C:\bsp\quake2\pball\  (game pak dir)
----- Load BSP File -----
reading c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\Crossroads2.bsp

Error opening c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\Crossroads2.bsp: No such file or dire
ctory

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>call ..\compilers\runmap Crossroads2

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>copy Crossroads2.bsp c:\paintball2\pball\maps
The system cannot find the file specified.

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>c:

c:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles>cd \paintball2

C:\Paintball2>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is wrong here?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 01:53:36 AM »
I blame the editor. ;)  Google the error and see what it comes up with.  I'm not sure what that one means.

Lightscriber

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 02:09:08 AM »
Yo im getting the hand of BSP but why isnt it letting me choose the type of gun and even grenades dont even show up in my map and how do i add a flag in the map? and how do i set up the  setting the team wall so they wont cross and stuff. By the way how do you make the team wall?

Please answer!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 02:22:01 AM »
Create an "item_pballgun" entity, then press the + button to add a key, and add "type" "stingray" (or whatever you want to use -- see the link I posted previously for all the types -- they should also be in the entity help, click on the "?").  Flags are simply the "flag" entity.  I'm not sure what you mean by "team wall."  If you mean an invisible wall like in dodgeball, it's just a clip brush.  If you mean a border that can't be crossed in siege mode (defense can't exit the base), it's just a base entity, but you have to set up your map for siege mode.

Lightscriber

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
hey how come my grenades arent showing on my maps?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 04:43:50 PM »
You need to have team spawn points (info_player_deathmatch with the teamnumber set) for grenades to spawn automatically.

Lightscriber

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 06:11:30 PM »
What do you mean by the teamnumber? Im just about done my map now. All i need are those darn grenades and i can get it over with. I have the info_player_deathmatch and i set it to red/blue team. And it gives me the name of the entity and the team... But what do u want me to add. Would you like to to change the info_player_deathmatch so it has key=teamnumber and value=1 (1 for red 2 for blue)????????????