Author Topic: Activity of DigitalPaintball.  (Read 23507 times)

Mayhem

• Stingray
Re: Activity of DigitalPaintball.
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2009, 06:26:41 PM »
I mean it won't help getting players into the game... It MIGHT bring back some of the older guy's but we really need to work out a way to get new players into the game and have it so they actually know what they are doing...
Instead of asking everyone for help and of course they'll say statements like "I'm hacking that's how!" or "Just play noob"
We need a tutorial OR I was just think of perhaps having a jump map with trigger's that teach you how to do the jump?
Maybe that could be AFTER the tutorial for practice after they watch a video.

tartjagger

• Stingray
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
A lot of newbies are quite resistant to using IRC. Most of them use MSN messenger, facebook and the like. Maybe you could make DP more accessible by being less reliant on IRC?

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2009, 10:23:37 AM »
Why stop using IRC when it's worked for so long?  It takes up less space and resources than pretty much any mainstream chat client.  It allows the community to talk in large groups without having to use party chat crap on messengers.  It's also really customizable and you can make bots to keep clan info straight.

Verdict, IRC works well for what DP needs.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2009, 11:29:37 AM »
IRC is outdated...

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
ahahha....

I wonder how this game would be without IRC, since the only clans that can actually get matches without IRC seem to be lawl and eX. If most of the pub clans got on IRC this game would definitely improve it's match scene.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
There's no alternative to IRC...

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
An ingame lobby/chatroom.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
An ingame lobby/chatroom.
+slash match request.

Couldn't be that hard to add a lobby chatroom, with a tab on the side for clans to post active match requests, that they can remove once they find a match or don't want one anymore.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2009, 04:16:31 PM »
That would be a nice idea, doubt it would get implemented though.
If that happenned the matching scene would have a huge improvement

+1 T3RR0R15T

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
So if I want to talk with my clanmates or just to my 'e-friends' in other clans, I have to have the game running?
It may be my fault but I don't see that as an improvement of any sort.

idias

• Autococker
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
Is it possible to make this program run on its own, instead of having to be in-game, it would be a standalone program, but you would automatically download it when you get DP?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »
That is the same like now. If an chat client comes with the game or not is not very important. U have to start a second program and u must switch between the game and the chat client. Two bad things for the most players.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
What about a largely upgraded server browser / chat tool / match tool?

It could intergrate with dplogin clans to do a lot of cool things too.

A server browser with a chat tab, similar to channels in IRC. And also a match tab (and rent server tab), for clans to find matches. It would have a login connecting to dplogin.

Say 2 clans decide to match, someone could go to the 'rent server' tab, and enter the 2 clans planning to match. The program could then alert all the members logged in that their clans are preparing to match. Since its connected to dplogin, it could check when someone chooses to go to the server. If they are in 1 of the 2 clans, it would open DP to the server and set the password of the server automatically if they are in the clan.

It would be a very efficient chatting and matching tool. Well, there's my daydreaming of features for the day.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »
I can test the beta version, if u have it done :)

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »
Oh my idea? I haven't been putting anything together on it, I just had that vision of such a program.

As for making it, I have large projects lined up that will take over a month of my time, so no real time to fiddle with it all, if anyone else wants to try it, it shouldn't be too hard to get started. Just getting some resources/references for different parts.

Server browser - ViCiouZ has worked on it (and T3rror1st too right?), and ask to grab their work if they have anything extra.
Chat - For now just embed an IRC client, something better could be made in time, but this is good enough to start people off.
Find a Match - Create request / End Request buttons (with amount of players and clan) with a list view of all the requests.
Rent a Server - Either choices of servers with a simple 'Get Server' button that echo's back the info (like eR33t's on IRC by XBain) or something more detailed like OTB's website. Something like eR33t's would be easier for now. (in the future an option to enter 2 clans, and allowing those clan-members to automatically join through server browser)
DPLogin - integration for 'Rent a Server' and 'Find a Match', can be added later on.

Anyone(s) willing to take on this creation?

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2009, 11:40:42 PM »
Couldn't someone just make an IRC addon to do virtually the same thing?

Skyline

• PGP
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »
I made a tutorial video for the most basic stuff in the game for new players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kqVM-inhc&annotation_id=annotation_686194&feature=iv
Hope this helps.

zimtstern

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2009, 12:09:17 PM »
I made a tutorial video for the most basic stuff in the game for new players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kqVM-inhc&annotation_id=annotation_686194&feature=iv
Hope this helps.

Cool vid, we should add it to Docs/FAQ as a Video.

Skyline

• PGP
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »
Cool vid, we should add it to Docs/FAQ as a Video.
Thank you, I wouldn't mind.