Poll

Which server is better and why?

3iob
uR

Author Topic: 3iob Servers vs. uR Servers  (Read 12602 times)

Leriq

• PGP
3iob Servers vs. uR Servers
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:20:50 PM »
Which server is better and why. Feel free to express why you feel this way.

eugenics

• Stingray
Re: 3iob Servers vs. uR Servers
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
ur servers are Linux builds which are most likely shared.
hence the reason why you will see large amounts of lag
on ur servers. the lag comes from everyone who wants
a linux box due to it being some how "better" than a windows
box. so, expect lots of traffic on unix, linux shells.

now since 3iob servers are all windows based and everyone
is anti windows, 3iob servers have less drain on them. making
it a more stable environment to play on the long term. i shall
make it simple, windows means less people, less people
means less network lag, end of story.

#team_3iob
irc.globalgamers.net

type !3iob to reserve a match server per request!

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »
my detective is bigger.  i had a feeling this would show up.  i am sorry eugenics but your post clearly shows your lack of knowledge of how these operating systems work. linux runs aprox 10% more efficient than windows you can assume but you do not know. windows is not a more stable server than linux and it will never be so.  

my main pc is windows and i use unix also so i can tell and know the difference from experience and not based on assumptions every time i play i notice that the server cpu lag is so great that it ruins the game play, thats what happens when you put 4 servers on 1 virtual host.  and please edit your post it is so void of truth that it is insulting to even read it.

your network capabilities is fine. but the server itself cannot handle it.   

Prime24

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
Personally from experience i lag more on 3iob servers and i ping about the same the virtual host carrying 4 to 5 servers is probably causing this lag and/or the servers are inexpensive and/or cheap

eugenics

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
wrong vlad.

its quake2.....quake2......its not crysis or a 1000fps cs server.

as for the servers, they are not run on one box, it is two.
so two server ports per windows box, with other servers
on it not being used is pretty good! you can even test it
with online network polling tools. it all depends on route
per client for their own network lag as the stream goes
through 10 or more comps to get to where its going.
that is of course you live near it and its half or less that.

personally, i'd rather play on henrods servers more than
3iob and uR. one reason, i ping less and the server handles
its cpu load alright.

anyways, may all servers stay up, may more players play.

but as for the facts, the servers work great, lots of love for
them, the usage pretty much speaks for itself. so, once again
and for the last time, come play dp, pick where you want.

best servers? how bout a lan game, then we can complain
about the guy who shows up with a p4 1.4ghz lan server.

shep

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
Pointless thread really, it will soon turn into a flame fest. Anyway i would say uR servers although i ping higher on them they seem to run smoother. And for some reason on 3iobs servers sometimes its really hard to hit people standing infront of you.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
I'd determine this over the specifications of the server, not what operating system they are running.  Operating system is probably only 5-10% of this pointless argument.

personally, i'd rather play on henrods servers more than
3iob and uR. one reason, i ping less and the server handles
its cpu load alright.
I agree with this guy.  Although you probably get 30, I get 7 times that :)

Obviously the winner of this contest is PokarPacie.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »
the network does not hop from computer to computer. its routers and switches. what happens is from computer to switch to router and to global network. the further away you are from a host the more hops it will take.

use tracert i think in windows to see how many hops it takes and what routes and where it gets held up the most.

i have learned networking, unix, windows. and have taken classes for most of them. i would not say anything if i did not know anything. lets hope others do the same.

also Eugenics you are running on a virtual server like most of us.  a box costs around 160 - 220 a Mo

i repeat again we all have decent network capabilities. the problem is not in that. you might want to change some server settings maybe turn on lowlag 1. anything that will minimize cpu usage and others network usage.

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »
I seem to lag more on the 3iob servers, sometimes I'll get spiked. But when I'm on the -uR- servers, it's very smooth and I get a decent ping, probably 10 better than on 3iob. So -uR- servers for me.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:57:58 AM »
I ping <250 on both. But I'm opposite to shep, I lag more on uR servers.

PS. My sensitivity seems to get higher in 3iob servers, anyone elses?

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:39:36 AM »
   Everytime we try to play 3iob I ask them if we could use uR servers because alot of people prefer them and Fitz and I being Canadians ping up to 30+ ping higher and spike like crazy, but they always refuse because they know we get a huge disadvantage. I rarely ever lag because I have pretty good internet, but I always seem to spike and have difficulty moving around on 3iob's servers.  
PS. My sensitivity seems to get higher in 3iob servers, anyone elses?

To be honest, I think i feel that as well...not 100% sure though... I feel its so much harder to hit people and move around on that server...I freeze at random, but when I'm on a uR server my ping is 50... not 80... and its so much smoother and I can actually move well and play well. This recent tournament had no complaints about the servers, everyone had a good time, servers were smooth and playable because Vlad knows what he's doing, and is willing to pay more then $10 for much better servers.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:40 AM »
Without proper specs it's pointless. Both run practically the same compared at 'smoothness' and ping. Most reasons a player is hard to hit is because of their client and the game itself, not the server. So its mostly opinionated by who plays who where.

Just like s2k servers, I usually run 30-40 higher ping there, but its just as 'smooth' and easy to play on. Can't compare it to others unless we see details of them :P   Doesn't matter anyways because eR33t's were the best compared to all mentioned here.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »
yes er33t servers did have greater capabilities that is without question. if i remember correctly they had a dedicated box? i keep watch over my cpu and network usage if it ever goes up to 100% i add another vbox. in my current setup i am still yet to reach 80%

like most people said i also notice a lot smoother gameplay in uR servers maybe its something that can be changed in server configs instead of the server itself.

Justin you say most of the time it is the client but it cannot be so in my case, and also if you notice that it happens in only a set of servers in most cases it could be that server or the route that it goes through getting to that server.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Why is everything always a competition? We all should be working together to make the game better. By giving someone a choice of a server I feel that, that is one step closer. Some prefer uR servers some prefer 3iobs. Why does it matter? Is there a valid reason on why it matters? Thread = Pointless in my OPINION.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
maybe we can turn around and make this thread as a Quality of Service thread. and work on that.

Leriq

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
Only reason I made this thread is because some people seem to whine and complain when they loose. We're all playing the same server so it shouldn't matter.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
Shut up Bix.  Thank you

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »
I WANT CH1LL SERVERS!

Olbaid

• Autococker