Author Topic: RWS (Rock Web Server)  (Read 22172 times)

bug

• 68 Carbine
RWS (Rock Web Server)
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
I've been doing an insane amount of work on my webserver (at http://devoted.to/rock) and you can see the full changelist here.

Anyway, there's one more thing I want to add:
What you want.

Please post ANY suggestions, additions, changes, or pretty much anything you'd like to see on RWS.

Cheers!
-Rock

P.S.
Please feel free to contribute any maps, screenshots, or other goodies which the server does not yet have and that you would like added.

P.P.S
EDIT: If you get the chance, PLEASE try the bittorrent download of the latest map pack, I've been working (in vain, probably) to get the stupid BT to work, and I'd really like to see if anyone can download it. Thanks! (Please be sure to contact me if you do\don't get it to work!)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:00:25 AM by bug »

Smokey

• Autococker
Re: RWS (Rock Web Server)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:36:57 PM »
hmm... im working on something similar.. anyway for me to contact you on aol/msn??
lol.. and i got some better hosting you can use :)

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:57:30 PM »
I've added you on AOL (jq965, right?) but you're currently offline. Hmmph.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:00:10 PM »
holy sh** lots of jump maps!

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:23:49 PM »
As I found out when I unleashed my MapHunter script, jump maps are much more prominent than normal maps.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »
ah.. how u knew my aol.. beyond me. im going on now.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »
I'm guessing most of those maps are from the Quake2 jump mod, not for paintball2.  I think there's only a small handful of jump maps made specifically for paintball2.  You might want to remove the ones that aren't for paintball2, unless, of course, you're hosting ALL quake2 maps.

As for suggestions:
- I'd do away with the frequent searches marquee.  I've never been a fan of text scrolling across the screen -- too distracting.
- The screenshots are a nice addition.  Instead of resizing the full images and using them as thumbnails, though, you should make actual thumbnails (or just show the full images).  Also, a tip for taking screenshots of just maps: cl_drawhud 0.
- It looks like there are a lot of crap/incomplete/beta/deprecated/non-paintball2 maps on there that should really be deleted.  You might want to have some means for people to flag maps for deletion.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:42:19 PM »
I'm guessing most of those maps are from the Quake2 jump mod, not for paintball2.  I think there's only a small handful of jump maps made specifically for paintball2.  You might want to remove the ones that aren't for paintball2, unless, of course, you're hosting ALL quake2 maps.

As for suggestions:
- I'd do away with the frequent searches marquee.  I've never been a fan of text scrolling across the screen -- too distracting.
- The screenshots are a nice addition.  Instead of resizing the full images and using them as thumbnails, though, you should make actual thumbnails (or just show the full images).  Also, a tip for taking screenshots of just maps: cl_drawhud 0.
- It looks like there are a lot of crap/incomplete/beta/deprecated/non-paintball2 maps on there that should really be deleted.  You might want to have some means for people to flag maps for deletion.

Yeah, I figured the marquee wouldn't go over well. Fine then, jitler! :P

Because I haven't implimented an upload system yet, my script is just dynamically grabbing the screenshots from my scrnshot folder, so I'd have to manually resize them to have thumbnails. Case in point, it'll be added, but not yet.

Yes, my MapHunter script is simply pulling everything it can. As for poor maps, I will keep them, as my goal is to have EVERY map, whether it's popular or not. However, for the other maps (aka, incomplete/beta/deprecated/non-pb2), I am trying to delete, but there's the matter of playing all 1,547 first, lol...

Ok then, I will attempt to add some flagging system.

Thanks for all your help!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:36:04 PM by bug »

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 02:23:43 AM »
ehm wont the jump maps still work on dp?

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
Some will, some won't, some just flat out stink.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 03:28:36 AM »
All the textures are missing in them, so they're rather annoying.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 03:44:34 AM »
Proof of the incompatible jump map pain:
http://rapidshare.de/files/18636240/burn.rar.html

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 04:27:15 AM »
lmao i dont care please somehow get all of these in a big zip so i can puttem all on my jump server i will be hosting.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 08:28:06 AM »
Already done, but FileFront's uploader is still offline. Wait a little more...

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »
ok, thanks!

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:44 AM »
is it up yet? ive been waiting 2 days.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 11:00:05 AM »
have you checked the site?

postmortem

• Stingray
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 11:09:45 AM »
i've got 1,400 jump maps i could send.

bug

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »
Postmortem, I would love to see those maps (can you please contact me by email or private message so that we can work out how to transport them?)

GreenAffairz, this is the quote from the filefront site:
To All FileFront Users: FileFront is currently offline for schedule maintenance. The FileFront website, including all of its network sites and forums, are off-line for expansion and service launches. Features, including file hosting, image hosting, blogging, and file downloads will be temporarily unavailable until the afternoon of Tuesday, April 25th. Hosted user files will be down for slightly longer. This is in preparation for new and exciting features and better overall site performance and stability including faster downloads. We thank you for your support, patience, and understanding!

You can either wait till the 25th (tomorrow) or somebody can give me 300 meg of storage space on their server :P

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 01:02:59 PM »
lmao just go make a site at www.dajoob.com // unlimited space.