Author Topic: Wish list.  (Read 7275 times)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Wish list.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:50 AM »
That is a thoroughly unscientific claim you make there, so Wikipedia is still more accurate than you. ;D
In fact, I believe there was a study done in which Wikipedia's accuracy was compared to that of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, and the two were found to be pretty close iirc (don't remember the numbers but you can google it for yourself).

Really tho, that's why you check the sources given for the information. If a piece of info isn't properly sourced, then it still might be true, but you just take it with a grain of salt, as the saying goes.

Full disclosure: I was an active editor on Wikipedia at one time, so I know a lot about how the process works there. It's a very good process but there is so much info that needs to be maintained that help is ALWAYS appreciated.

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 02:56:01 AM »
That is a thoroughly unscientific claim you make there, so Wikipedia is still more accurate than you. ;D
In fact, I believe there was a study done in which Wikipedia's accuracy was compared to that of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, and the two were found to be pretty close iirc (don't remember the numbers but you can google it for yourself).

Really tho, that's why you check the sources given for the information. If a piece of info isn't properly sourced, then it still might be true, but you just take it with a grain of salt, as the saying goes.

Full disclosure: I was an active editor on Wikipedia at one time, so I know a lot about how the process works there. It's a very good process but there is so much info that needs to be maintained that help is ALWAYS appreciated.

all i understood there was. Grain of salt :o

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:56 AM »
Really??  It shouldn't be that hard -- I didn't use any big words. :P

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
Really??  It shouldn't be that hard -- I didn't use any big words. :P

i'm simple minded

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
i'm simple minded

this is like an invitation for me :-x

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
this is like an invitation for me :-x

try me.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 09:02:38 AM »
* jitspoe tries MOFO.

Bleh, too bland.

* jitspoe adds a grain of salt.

Much better.

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
* jitspoe tries MOFO.

Bleh, too bland.

* jitspoe adds a grain of salt.

Much better.

/facepalm

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 01:27:54 PM »
LOL ;D ;D ;D

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
webhead, maybe you could help me find what I need.

I picked the gigabyte mobo you provided. But than I was looking at other things for it and found this:

Cpu:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134927

Need help on finding a video card, prefer nvidia, and not too high priced, preferably around 80 or somewhat close to it. And also need help seeing if i need any extra fans or, a cheap case. OR whatever. lol.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
Video card comparisons:

one, two

personally i'd get one of the cards in the first comparison. the XFX GTS 250 is probably the fastest card out of all of them. granted, it's more than $80, but not after the MIR :)

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
I have the GT 240 and does great. I didn't know the newer ones had dropped in price already.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 10:44:16 AM »
I also have a GT 240 with GDDR5 by XFX (the GDDR5 models are a good bit faster than the GDDR3 ones). It's my first nVidia card and so far I love it. Beats the pants off of the ATI card I had before, which was BIG and required the 6-pin PSU connection; this new one is much smaller, faster, quieter, and more energy-efficient!

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
Erghhh. Can't make up my friggin Mind.

Can't decide on a video card. Trying to find a card that can run games good, like quakelive - high settings. And things like COD: black ops.

And I'm on a budget. Most i can spend on a card is 90. If that... Lol.

I'm debating on getting and ATI card. But Idk. Helppp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ATI+Radeon+5670&x=0&y=0

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
The Radeon 5670 is a good-looking chip -- that was my second choice to the GT 240, actually.

Of those, I picked out 4 that looked good to me. [link]
Don't forget that DDR3 models are slower.
The XFX card has excellent ratings, and it's the only one of the 4 that will only take up one slot, inside and out.

Personally, I'd get the XFX card, even though the more expensive one has more RAM.

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
Hm, Didn't know the DDR3 Models were slower? lol. I thought, since it was supported for DDR3, It would respond alot faster.

But I'll check that link. Thanks =D

Edit: Checked the link out. I like the XFX card, But it runs on DDR5. Was wondering, Ram on a video card is different from Computer ram, right? So to say, If i were to buy DDR3 Ram for my Computer, This ddr5 xfx card would still run properly? Also, I'm wondering, If I post links to what I'm getting, Can you verify that It will work with everything? First computer I'm actually going to build, or... put together.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
Hm, Didn't know the DDR3 Models were slower? lol. I thought, since it was supported for DDR3, It would respond alot faster.
GDDR3 is not the same technology as regular DDR3.

Was wondering, Ram on a video card is different from Computer ram, right? So to say, If i were to buy DDR3 Ram for my Computer, This ddr5 xfx card would still run properly? Also, I'm wondering, If I post links to what I'm getting, Can you verify that It will work with everything? First computer I'm actually going to build, or... put together.
Yes and yes and yes.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »
no idea. cases from manufactured pcs aren't always fully standardized, so i'm not sure. it *looks* ok, from what i can tell.

capo

• VM-68
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
haha. So, all the parts came together? Thanks for your help.