Author Topic: New Map - Outdoorz2 (temporary name)  (Read 4893 times)

supertanker

• VM-68
New Map - Outdoorz2 (temporary name)
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »
Outdoorz2 is going to be my third map when its done. It is like a really really really small Brainstorm (1024x1024). It has two bases, connected two ways: the sewer pipe (I still need some inspiration, I don't want it to just be a straight pipe to the other base) andn the outside area.

The 'wall' makes a natrual ramp to get up to the top of hte base, and there is also the wooden ramp. Underneith the base is the sewer pipe.

Screenshots http://paintball.levelzone.net/?q=node/14

Termin8oR

• Autococker
Re: New Map - Outdoorz2 (temporary name)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:03:04 PM »
3rd pic was broken. But looking good so far. Congrats. All good maps start from little Idea's.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:22:36 AM »
It looks like you're getting the hang of mapping, which is good, but you're using existing Paintball2 maps as inspiration, which is bad.  Quite frankly, all of the paintball2 maps are extremely dated, poorly built, and/or unrealistic and unimmersive.  I would suggest looking at more current-gen games and real life for inspiration.  For example, nobody in real life would make 7 foot thick pillars out of planks.  It just doesn't make any sense.  Sure, it's in paintball2 maps all the time, but we need to move away from that.  Try making things that resemble plausible real-life structures.  Look at some pictures of real paintball bunkers.  Look at architecture drawings.  Get your inspiration anywhere but existing paintball maps.  Brainstorm was made 8 years ago (yikes, scary to think about now...).  We need to move on to better things.

I'm not writing this to attack your map.  I see a lot of potential in your mapping abilities.  It's just going to take a bit of work.  I want to see paintball maps on par with (or better than) this some day: url=http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=1576.0

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:59:18 PM »
okay. i have been thinking the same. and Im coming up with some new realistic designs that I have played on/with in real paintball.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm going to add detail, LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of detail, after I get the basework done, and change textures, modify layout, etc...I've been mapping for years (since I was 12, no less!) but I haven't used many modern editors...

Anyways, the first public beta is here:

Download Link

(Barely any detail/lighting yet, and I know the bunkers should be lower)

Plus I have FINALLY got the hang of ArghRad, so sun lighting looks fairly nice (sorta...)

I've never actually played real paintball though...
Hopefully when you release the new map format I can still use GtkRadiant to map...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:20:11 PM »
A map doesn't have to have lots of detail to look realistic, and on the flip side, just because a map has lots of detail doesn't make it realistic.

As for the new map format, it will more than likely use GTKRadiant as a base for the editor.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

And I will have more ... realistic supports soon

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 04:34:29 PM »
Outdoorz Public Beta  2 is out:

http://paintball.levelzone.net/files/outdoorz2_pbeta2.zip

Enjoy, and there are no 16 foor supports today...

Note this a version that has not been through Arghrad, to save time and size. Final will be arghraded

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
Comments...I must have comments!!!

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:18:12 PM »
Post screenshots.

Briton

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 07:03:18 AM »
I downloaded the map and took a look at it. From what I can tell without actually playing a match on it, it should be a good map. It seems to be very anti camper, the few camper spots there are seem to be placed so that someone always has a chance to sneek up on you. I'm not so sure about the flag bases, if I were you I would change that a little because it seems too bland. Looks good though, keep it up.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 06:52:30 PM »
Good, because personally I hate snipers :)

I will upload more recent shots in a while...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 04:03:49 PM »
No lighting?  The ladders are really huge.  The textures along the edges of the base are misaligned.  It still looks very simplistic and unrealistic.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 09:45:22 PM »
Ladders are much smaller now...

I fixed some of the textures, and fixed some more random bugs I found.

I cannot seem to think of anything else to put in the map, I seem to be having a case of Mapper's block.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 11:49:56 PM »
If you have a new version ready, I can put it up on the beta server for testing and feedback.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »
Um.....what is the beta server?

anyways: third beta

A couple things are changed. First, I bothered to spend an extra ten minuts and run it through ArghRad for lighting. It is a bit darker overall, which I like.

Second, the area under the bases are totally redone. Now it looks like a sort of cave underneight each one. Area around the bases are redone as well.

I removed the center passage, it was sorta redundant.

And I modified the bunkers, now its a bit easier to shoot out without hitting the bottom.

http://paintball.levelzone.net/?q=system/files&file=outdoorz2_beta3.zip

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 07:15:44 PM »
You really need to add some alternative paths to this map.  1 path maps simply aren't as much fun if there's more than 2 people on the server.  Also, when you jump up on the wall ledges, you can see through the sky to other areas of the map, effectively making a wallhack built in.  Brainstorm suffered this problem as well.  You should model after the good parts in maps, not the flaws. ;)

Another minor suggestion would be to put a grass texture on that ramp at the front of the base, so it's a little more obvious you can go up that way.

supertanker

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 08:53:01 PM »
Um...I didn't know you could get up on the walls....

Look UNDER the bases for the alternative path :)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »
Any New ScreenShots?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 01:17:09 PM »
Um...I didn't know you could get up on the walls....

Look UNDER the bases for the alternative path :)
Wow, somehow I completely missed that -- I thought it was just a cave area under the base that went nowhere.  Something's funky with the ladders, though.  I'm not sure what -- going up them didn't seem to go smoothly.  I think the ladder clip brushes are too thick on the outside areas -- it seems like you're far away from the ladders when climbing them.