Author Topic: DM SPEEDMAPPING CONTEST $20/$10/$5 PRIZES  (Read 8489 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: DM SPEEDMAPPING CONTEST $20/$10/$5 PRIZES
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
DT/Jitspoe/Chef-Killer :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »
Theme: Small deathmatch maps for a max of 8 players.

Haha, fml. I read it as though you got to choose what the max was, but it couldn't be higher then 8 :( Dang it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
My judging, sorted by score:

Notus

Technical: 9, Pretty good, some misaligned textures, lighting doesn't look accurate for night time.
Aesthetics: 8, not bad, but it could be pushed a lot further with some additional details and lighting.  Also not a fan of the ground texture used for large areas.
Gameplay: 8, Good flow overall.  One path has a bad deadend, though, and it's right next to a somewhat difficult jump.  Also, no item pickups, just spawn and spray.  I like most of the layout, though.  The barred window usually has some interesting encounters.
Innovation: 2, Nothing really new here.
Total: 27

Minority Report

Technical: 9, no major issues, a couple small texture alignment issues.
Aesthetics: 8, Pretty good overall, but I dislike a couple of the texture choices.
Gameplay: 6, Jump pads are awkward, flow could be improved, a lot of the areas of the map go unused, could use some more item pickups to encourage people to go to other areas of the map.
Innovation: 3, Kind of unique.
Total: 26

Center Parcs

Technical: 7, some misaligned textures.  Not very good use of visibility tool.
Aesthetics: 5, overall theme is good, but everything is very blocky and does not look like a convincing environment.
Gameplay:  8, Not sure if it's because there were fewer people, but I think I liked the gameplay most on this map.  There was plenty of cover, and you actually had to think about your shots since the equipment was pretty low-end.  You didn't just spawn and spray like most of the other maps.  Could stand to have a few paths opened up, though.  The autococker is a bit overpowered, too, but I like the fight for equipment - maybe drop it to a spyder or carbine.
Total: 22

Unrated's Big Island

Technical: 5, high r_speeds, visibility issues, sand should be phong shaded (maybe it wouldn't compile?)
Aesthetics: 6, Average-ish
Gameplay: 6, fun to battle over the 1 weapon on the map only to run out of co2 when you get it then have to run around like an idiot avoiding getting shot while you reload.  Spawns in the water facing away are bad, though, and the island should slope all the way into the water, no t have cliffs where you can't easily get up.
Innovation: 3, Kind of different.
Total: 20

Applejuice Land

Technical: 6, large number of misaligned textures, some misaligned brushes, lack of clip brushes.
Aesthetics: 6, Average-ish.
Gameplay: 5, No incentive to move.  No item pickups (you spawn with everything) aside from 1 autococker.  As soon as you move, you get shot in the back by somebody spawning behind you.  Not really any good flow between the low and high parts of the map (ladders and complicated jumping get you killed instantly).  Nothing really isolates the battles.  It's just a big cluster.  I pretty much never got killed by the person I was fighting with - almost always by somebody spawning behind or beside me.  Maybe 8 players is too much for this map.
Total: 19

Bouncing Arena

Technical: 8, Not much to it, but the lighting doesn't really match the sky and needs to be a bit brighter to fix the splotchyness (and players are difficult to see, especially blue).
Aesthetics: 5, Kind of bland.
Gameplay: 2, Didn't like this one at all.  No strategy, no control, and it's almost impossible to lead people because you don't know which way they're going to bounce (or which way you're going to bounce).
Innovation: 3, It's unique at least.
Total: 18

Area52

Technical: 5, High r_speeds, doesn't look like the grid was used (lots of things slightly misaligned).
Aesthetics: 7, Kind of cool looking, but nothing spectacular.
Gameplay: 2, Doesn't support DM mode, spawns facing the wall, water is annoying, not much cover, not much in the way of item pickups.
Innovation: 3, somewhat interesting style and custom skybox.
Total: 17

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
So, what are final results?

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
DT's Judging:

Myers -- applejuice

technical (r_speeds) 7/10 for misaligned textures
aesthetics 8/10 pretty good
gameplay 7/10
innovation 3/5

Appears to be a decent DM map-- shows some skill with brush manipulation to try and make more realistic terrain etc. Hard to judge exactly how it would play... reminded me a bit of conquest.bsp. I really would have liked to see guns/stuff laid out randomly instead of spawning with them. I think a lot of the trends we see in new maps these days pop up in this map which is why I gave it the lower innovation mark.

Area52 - blindthing

technical - 5/10 r_speeds are rough, weird texture issues
aesthetics - 4/10 nothing really impressive follows pp1 theme
gameplay - 5/10 hard to judge
innovation - 0/5 nothing spectacular and isnt even a dm map?

Where to start... r_speeds are really bad, has a basic pp1-like theme; no interesting brush manipulation or anything... the ‘wood’ blocks are just massive. Way, way too much glass. The water brush is the same height as the grass brush in areas which is very unrealistic. Also the .rar didn’t extract easily; bad form.

Notus - cuso

technical - 10/10 didn’t see any problems (granted I didn’t go over it chef-killer style)
aesthetics - 10/10 like the castle + cave + moonlight feel
gameplay - 6/10 Gonna ding you hear for a lack of clutter (just wide open spaces), how dark it was and spawning with weapons.
innovation - 4/5

Shows solid mapping talent; only issues I saw were the wide open spaces (just people lining at each other across spaces, pp1 style) and that I’d have to turn my monitor brightness up to PlAy It SeRIouSly. Liked how it was a castle1-ish feel. Would have liked to see random gun arrangments.

Minority report - aircrew

technical - 9/10 not bad, at least one misaligned texture
aesthetics - 8/10 unique theme, but the floating platforms were a little meh
gameplay - 7/10 dinged for spawning with weapons, a few wide open spaces.
innovation - 5/5 pretty unique

Appreciated some new things I haven’t seen in a lot of maps. Felt like this would play fairly well but I wish it had random weapons.

Bouncing Arena - aircrew

technical - 9/10 would be hard to mess this up on a map so simple
aesthetics - 4/10 don’t think anything needs to be said
gameplay - 4/10 I theorize it would get boring quickly
innovation - 2/5

Not much to say about this one; I get that its supposed to be an innovative idea but I think I’d want to kill myself after awhile.

Center Parcs DM - omni

technical - 7/10 what was up with the epoly?
aesthetics - 6/10 could have made the huts/fences look more realistic
gameplay - 6/10 I appreciated the random gun spawns but there wasn’t enough stuff
innovation - 3/5 cool idea but reminiscent of that village map

Not a bad submission just nothing that knocked my socks off. Only map with random guns and I appreciated that.

unrated’s big island - rick

technical - 2/10 haven’t had a dp map drop my fps that badly in years
aesthetics - 6/10 for the banana tree model mostly
gameplay - 3/10 snoozefest
innovation - 3/5 I’d love to see the beach theme turned into a legit map even though there’s little visblock

Really Rick, really?

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Just Chef killer to go and I tallied up the total

DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW THE SCORE

1st :notus : 57
2nd :Minority Report : 55
=3rd :Center Parcs : 44
=3rd :AppleJuice land :44
5th :Bouncing arena :42
6th :Unrateds Big Island :34
Area52 :31

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
Haha DT, the map was basically to have fun making terrain. It's actually pretty fun to play :)

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
Bouncing arena should def be in top 3

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
Unrateds big island is the best map hands down. I demand a change in judges.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Come on, finish it :)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
Cusoman will win, he is the best mapper in DP at the moment ;)

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 03:25:05 PM »
he is the best mapper in DP at the moment ;)

Agreed

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »
Sorry for the late results, but I don't have much time at the moment. I think I can have a detailed look at the last maps today and maybe judge all of them tomorrow :)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
Detailed feedback is done now for all maps. I won't list all the possible improvements again here, because I think it's kind of useless. The mappers can work on it now step by step. I think it's the easiest way to improve maps. If there're problems or troubles, just post. I think it wouldn't need that much time than posting all the feedback needed. All maps can be improved and I hope all mappers will do it, but there're already some very nice beta maps. I'd like to thank all mappers for their input to the mapping competition. It's great, that there're now 7 (8 with arcticcircledm_b1) new dm beta maps *thumbs up*

Minority Report by aircrew b2

Technical: 8/10
Aesthetics: 9/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Innovation: 3/5
Total: 28/35

I really like this map. It's not always the same. Wish we could get more good maps that look different in the future. I hope you will improve this map.

Notus by Cusoman b1

Technical: 9/10
Aesthetics: 9/10
Innovation: 2/5
Total: 28/35

Nothing special or new one, but looks and plays well. Very nice mapping skills.

Applejuice Land by MyeRs b1

Technical: 7/10
Aesthetics: 7/10
Total: 24/35

Glad to see that the competition motivates people like you to work on maps again. I think it's the first map you released on this board (for a long time)? Nice job. The map looks like lots of other maps look, but that's not always bad. Plays well.

Center Parcs DM by omni b5

Aesthetics: 7/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Total: 24/35

All in all a good map. I like that it isn't that big. Mapping skills are pretty good for the time you map/post maps on this board. You might want to improve the game flow a little bit for this map. Sometimes there's only one way you can leave a part of the map.

Bouncing Arena by aircrew b1

Aesthetics: 6/10
Gameplay: 4/10
Total: 21/35

Cool idea of a funny dm map. In my opinion the bouncing effect is a little bit to extreme, though. You can't really influence the movement, so it's more luck than tactic or aiming.

Area52 by bLiNdThInG b1

Technical: 6/10
Gameplay: 6/10
Total: 20/35

Looks interesting. But doesn't support dm and doesn't look like a dm map. It's more a ctf map without flags in my opinion. I'm pretty sure you can create cool maps when you use the 32 unit grid and try to avoid high walls in the future. Maybe start with a small project to get used to it.

UnRaTeD's Disappointingly Small Island by Rick b1

Technical: 6/10
Gameplay: 4/10
Total: 19/35

Great idea, but almost impossible to do with the current map format. I hope you can fix all the stuff, the vis issues and the splitting/r_speeds. A playable map like this would be really unique. Remembers me a little bit of the start of my map island, that doesn't end as an island with water around it. Pretty difficult project this map.

aircrew

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
Congratulation to the winner :) This competition was a great idea, hopefully new one will take part in the future.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
3rd place is a tie........ do we both get 5$?!!!!!!!!!!!!

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »
Can't be bothered to do a detailed table with averages/etc right now, so...

1st: Notus: 85 - wins $20 for cusoman
2nd: Minority Report: 83 - wins $10 for aircrew
3rd: Center Parcs: 68 - wins $5 for omni
3rd: AppleJuice land: 68 - wins $5 for MyeRs
4th: Bouncing arena: 63
5th: Unrated's Big Island: 54
6th: Area52: 50

People who've won stuff, please PM me the paypal account email you want me to send your prizes to :)

Hopefully I will be able to run another contest like this sometime :)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
A KOTH tourny would be interesting

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
LOL I didn't come last!!!!

UnRateD