Author Topic: Revenue Options: Installer & Browser Toolbar  (Read 8154 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Revenue Options: Installer & Browser Toolbar
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
But it would prevent multiaccounts :P Or want you buy something for 10 accounts?

5$ = 500 points would be easier.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
From a dev. standpoint, I'd contemplate the ideas for purchasable perks and the installer.

Sure, it may give people spyware, but it is their duty as the user to know what they're installing.
If they "fell" for it, they'll fall for it on tons of other things as well.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
From a dev. standpoint, I'd contemplate the ideas for purchasable perks and the installer.

Sure, it may give people spyware, but it is their duty as the user to know what they're installing.
If they "fell" for it, they'll fall for it on tons of other things as well.

If the only standpoint a developer used was his own, he'd be very short sighted and selfish. The correct standpoint is the one that takes everyone affected into account, no matter what position you're in.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »
If the only standpoint a developer used was his own, he'd be very short sighted and selfish. The correct standpoint is the one that takes everyone affected into account, no matter what position you're in.

I was offering my opinion as a developer of video games as well.  If trying to make money is selfish, every single company, game developer, game publisher, etc. is selfish.  You'd also be selfish by working a job instead of trying to live off the earth and volunteer all of your extra resources and free time.

You're short sighted imo.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
joonas.. why u hat3'n?

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »
Foxhound, because I don't like this line of thought at all:

Adding a combo packed installer designed to trick hasty, inexperienced or non english speakers into filling their computers with stuff they weren't after is wrong. If you don't have it in you to be as upfront with your customers as they'd like about what they're getting, you suck. If you try to force products upon people that don't need them, you suck.

I was offering my opinion as a developer of video games as well.  If trying to make money is selfish, every single company, game developer, game publisher, etc. is selfish.  You'd also be selfish by working a job instead of trying to live off the earth and volunteer all of your extra resources and free time.

You're short sighted imo.

I don't think that making money is selfish. I'm just picky about the way you'd go about doing that. If the install process was made with the user's well being in mind, then it would be fine to cash in from it because it'd be an exchange that everyone is supposed to profit from. If it's made to trick people into accepting stuff, then I don't see why you'd deserve to get any money from doing that to people. The people tricked are the ones who should be getting the money.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
Foxhound, because I don't like this line of thought at all:
Adding a combo packed installer designed to trick hasty, inexperienced or non english speakers into filling their computers with stuff they weren't after is wrong. If you don't have it in you to be as upfront with your customers as they'd like about what they're getting, you suck. If you try to force products upon people that don't need them, you suck.

I don't think that making money is selfish. I'm just picky about the way you'd go about doing that. If the install process was made with the user's well being in mind, then it would be fine to cash in from it because it'd be an exchange that everyone is supposed to profit from. If it's made to trick people into accepting stuff, then I don't see why you'd deserve to get any money from doing that to people. The people tricked are the ones who should be getting the money.

Ever bought something because it was on sale?  You were tricked.  Its not a trick to tell them what they're installing; its is being up front with them.  Just uncheck the box if you don't want the extra software.  Also, to be a customer you'd have to buy something.  This is a free game.  You're not a customer. 

Hate to tell you this, but almost every thing you download now has extra software in it.  That's why there's usually an option to do "Custom" install instead of "Basic" or "Recommended."

Quote from: joonas

I also never said not to take anyone else's opinion.  I just offered mine.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Suggestion: InstallIQ. It's one of these things, but it's verified by TRUSTe apparently, so it won't install malware at least. Saw it while installing CoreTemp.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
I think a great way to make money is by making people pay for multiple acounts. You have to pay for every account you want to have except for the 1st one.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
I think a great way to make money is by making people pay for multiple acounts. You have to pay for every account you want to have except for the 1st one.
it's been discussed.