Author Topic: Community Mapping Project  (Read 18714 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Community Mapping Project
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:39 AM »
Any other suggestions? :)

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »
problem is - nobody really knows how we should map the HILL for good gameplay :) I think it shouldn*t be too easy to defend, but just a endless spray fest in the mid is not so constructive as well. I made a small koth map a month ago. Its quite straightforward and for 2 teams only. Btw how many teams should we support?

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »
I had spoken with Uni, and jitspoe about this idea before. If you guys want any help im sure we could give a hand.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
I vote Industrial, it would look sweet. Or even an empty car park etc..

We should do industrial, that sounds awesome.

problem is - nobody really knows how we should map the HILL for good gameplay :) I think it shouldn*t be too easy to defend, but just a endless spray fest in the mid is not so constructive as well. I made a small koth map a month ago. Its quite straightforward and for 2 teams only. Btw how many teams should we support?

For koth i would say 2 teams. I have an awesome idea for an industrial koth map.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Yeah, it's very hard to choose a design of KOTH that will function properly in an instakill game. I think the best option would be to have 2 'Hills', then each team can defend and have to push. Then again, both teams could just defend... Argh. It's a hard game mode! Let's just set nokill to 0, and have to shoot people around, haha(joke).

Btw, what suggestions do you have for the theme?

We should do industrial, that sounds awesome.

For koth i would say 2 teams. I have an awesome idea for an industrial koth map.
Industrial can be very complex though. Either way, it will be good fun to map with people that are passionate about mapping.
Yeah, 2 teams is what I'd go for. (Red & Blue).
Wanna draw up a design? We aren't set on Industrial, just a bit intrigued!

I had spoken with Uni, and jitspoe about this idea before. If you guys want any help im sure we could give a hand.
It's not whether we need help or not, it's whether you guys want to participate! Oh, I might ask Cusoman if he wants to be part of this. Anything that guy touches becomes amazing. Definitely the number one mapper!

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
I think it should be like some gamemodes like in bf3 conquest where there are 3 hills so 1 team USUALLY has atleast 1 hill and they fight over the third one/flank the other teams hill.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
Here's some stuff to consider if we go with KOTH (which I am all for):

• To keep the game moving, we need an odd number of flags. One flag is just going be a grenade spam fest, so preferably 3 or more.
  • DP doesn't have a minimap or other indicator of who controls each area, other than the flag entity. It would be useful to have at least one flags visible from each other flag, or maybe there's some really convoluted excrement we could do with triggers to pop up team-colored blocks or something.
  • Having the flags visible from each other limits the amount of detail we can put in to each area, due to r_speeds, i.e. no water. This also might make an industrial theme slightly more difficult, as it usually relies on a lot of relatively complex brushwork.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:58 AM »
I think it should be like some gamemodes like in bf3 conquest where there are 3 hills so 1 team USUALLY has atleast 1 hill and they fight over the third one/flank the other teams hill.
Good idea.

Here's some stuff to consider if we go with KOTH (which I am all for):

• To keep the game moving, we need an odd number of flags. One flag is just going be a grenade spam fest, so preferably 3 or more.
  • DP doesn't have a minimap or other indicator of who controls each area, other than the flag entity. It would be useful to have at least one flags visible from each other flag, or maybe there's some really convoluted excrement we could do with triggers to pop up team-colored blocks or something.
  • Having the flags visible from each other limits the amount of detail we can put in to each area, due to r_speeds, i.e. no water. This also might make an industrial theme slightly more difficult, as it usually relies on a lot of relatively complex brushwork.
  • Agree, 69 Flags it is! ;)
  • Ah, very true... Maybe if we do a good job, Jits will implement it haha.
  • Definitely going to need a good design..

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
When making this map also if it has 3 "hills" is to make the hill entity big and somewhat noticeable.
maybe each hill entity could be one room.
This way you don't have to travel that far to capture the next hill..
 and so you dont have to be on the flag to get "hill points"

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
idk whether it is possible to creat more than one hill. But you can just creat the hill entity out of 3 several brushes. Every team should have a "base" hill and then in the middle there is another one.

HaRmonY

• VM-68
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
http://simonoc.com/pages/materials/tpindustrial/index.htm

If you choose the industrial theme this would help :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
There are probably 10 or so maps with KOTH support.

kots1 was fun at lan parties, but nobody seems to like it in the "real world". :(

Piped had pretty decent support for KOTH, as did stacked -- those are both sort of industrial maps.  There are a handful of other maps that support it as well.  It just never really took off.  I've kind of considered switching it to more of a conquest/domination style game mode.  Maybe it just needs better feedback so players aren't so confused when a KOTH map pops up.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
When making this map also if it has 3 "hills" is to make the hill entity big and somewhat noticeable.
maybe each hill entity could be one room.
This way you don't have to travel that far to capture the next hill..
 and so you dont have to be on the flag to get "hill points"
Sounds good.

idk whether it is possible to creat more than one hill. But you can just creat the hill entity out of 3 several brushes. Every team should have a "base" hill and then in the middle there is another one.
Yeah, I'm not sure either! I'd imagine that you could just put multiple brushes like you're saying. Instead of being able to see all 3 at once, could we just make it so you could see the middle one, from the 'base' hills.

http://simonoc.com/pages/materials/tpindustrial/index.htm

If you choose the industrial theme this would help :)
They look sweet! But [Click].
I'm not sure if this would count as commercial use or not! I might end up emailing him about it.

There are probably 10 or so maps with KOTH support.

kots1 was fun at lan parties, but nobody seems to like it in the "real world". :(

Piped had pretty decent support for KOTH, as did stacked -- those are both sort of industrial maps.  There are a handful of other maps that support it as well.  It just never really took off.  I've kind of considered switching it to more of a conquest/domination style game mode.  Maybe it just needs better feedback so players aren't so confused when a KOTH map pops up.

To be very honest, I'm not sure if I've even played it! Was kots1 the one with all the barrels in the middle of the map, and also the flag? I think I might remember it...

Oh! Stacked! I forgot about that map. Both were made by Krewzer, right? Haven't seen that guy in ages. Ah, so maybe we should go another direction with this idea. I think the main problem of KOTH is a lack of information to the player. I've been playing tf2 a lot lately and they have signs and little hud signals to tell you the points.

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Rick... You keep coming up with brilliant ideas!!!

On Topic: could you guys finish up and release all the GOOD beta maps? Or like create a matching map pack and a pub map pack.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
i seem to remember multiple hills are possible. and it doesnt count as commercial use, we just need to put his namein the map credits - or at least, those are the terms for his egyptian textures.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »
i seem to remember multiple hills are possible. and it doesnt count as commercial use, we just need to put his namein the map credits - or at least, those are the terms for his egyptian textures.
Oh awesome! They're so nice.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:49 PM »
The way it currently works with multiple hills is that if more than one team controls one (or any) hill, the hill is neutral.  If only one team controls the hill(s), that team gets points at a set rate.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
The way it currently works with multiple hills is that if more than one team controls one (or any) hill, the hill is neutral.  If only one team controls the hill(s), that team gets points at a set rate.

so 2 hills would work.. since defending 1 hill each won't get you anywhere.

Wanna draw up a design? We aren't set on Industrial, just a bit intrigued!

Will do that tonight. (I'll use graphing paper or something.)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »
If we do 2 hills, I think we'll have to make it so you can shoot from one to the other.  Otherwise, if there's just 1 player on one (or both) teams, he won't be able to leave his hill without letting the other team get points.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:19 PM »
Chef-Killer made dome with 2 hills koth mode.

We play stack on the [OTB] Speed server often and a lot players like it. But the server is almost empty since i mad minclientbuild 38. Don't know why the players don't want an update. There should maybe be a permanent big "update available"-message in the main menu instead of the popup message one time.