Author Topic: Improving the Community  (Read 15624 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Improving the Community
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »
Bashing this game's community seems to be the popular thing to do, but I haven't seen many people offer suggestions on how to improve it.  I don't know how much control I have over it, but I welcome any ideas on how to make the environment more enjoyable.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Improving the Community
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 05:22:29 PM »
Kick out everyone but me. And you.

:D

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:49:50 PM »
semi-nude photo albums.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:18:34 PM »
I will have plenty to say once I get home in about an hour and it wont be a one liner. I think this is a serious question and I am very happy to see that you Jitspoe are at least interested in what people have to say in improving the community.

With that said look at the posts so far how serious are they? Look at this forum and community in general. They could care less if it improves or not. They have what the want. Impunity. Free to act on IRC, forum, in public and matches however the see fit.

One good improvement would be more moderators on the forum. Those two posts above how ever ill or well intended are not even close to being serious about improvement. Although now that I said something I fully expect those to be corrected by edit not by posting again.

More to come from home.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
ban these words from mm1. Camper and noob. certain servers that can only have noobs play. Better tutorial on how to play.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »
tutorials for this game would be hard to make, seeing as in this game is either youre good or not. the aiming and jumping take alot of practice and if they dont learn by themselves, seeing someone eslse wouldnt help either

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:56:03 PM »
I'm more concerned with attitude than skill, though there may be some correlation between the two.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 07:24:56 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:30:48 AM by P!nk »

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:42:26 PM »
One good improvement would be more moderators on the forum.

eiii for moderator!

I think I've mentioned this before, but giving admins the ability to mute any player in the game for a certain period of time would be very useful, especially when you have people arguing and degrading from the game.

This idea just came to me; let's say that all the players are split into their respective skill levels (as jitspoe has said this could potentially happen, eventually) and are only allowed to play on the servers for their skill level. Now, what if the servers could be split up into three groups in which the admins would vote on which skill level they'd like to have on their set of servers, (say 2-3). Ok, so you have everyone in those servers now. Now, say you set up a system where one server would always be available for people to play on, this would simply be a setting change, so the "chosen" server would be that of one of the servers where the admins have already agreed to the skill-level system. Here's the catch: the only people allowed to talk in the server where all the skill levels would be allowed to play would be the people that represent their skill level as a whole, as well as the admins of that server, obviously. In a sense, this would be very community-driven. Tell me if this sounds rather confusing and I'll try to clarify.

It seems like most of the changes that could be beneficial to the community will take some time to carry out, there's not really very many quick fixes as of now really.

In brief, it would be nice if the pub scene could be shunned away from its current state so decent players wouldn't be forced to stay in match servers because of the lack of competition and newbies wouldn't feel 'hated' and be discouraged from playing. How would this help the community? Well, the hostility most experience is often because of skill level, there's really not that many other elements that could cause it.

Oh, and with the whole skill level thing, it would be nice if your server list only showed the ones you were qualified to play in, then people wouldn't be asking why they couldn't join certain servers, etc. Anyways, just throwing some stuff around, apologies for the length, but Loial will probably type something 2x this, so it doesn't much matter. :D

loial for moderator, and the president of the community.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »
The better question is what behaviors in and out of the game lead to the worsening of the community and how to fix them.
I'm more concerned with attitude than skill, though there may be some correlation between the two.
BINGO!
Jitspoe again its the mark. Altough I fail to see any significant correlation. In game skill is learned from experience. Respect for others and the game is something you have or dont, no matter the age or skill level..

Ingame respect and out of game respect. I am not asking for ass kissing contest or to make best friends out of hated rivals. Just common a ground of respect for the betterment of the community. Something that needs the most work for improvement. All though I am compelled to offer examples of poor behaviors and a total lack of respect for the forum, in IRC toward etg hosts or private team channels, voice chat channels I will not. I dont need to. But I will mention these.

1.Forum. This forum needs more moderators for better enforcement of the rules and have the ability punish any rule infractions. This is simply to large a job to be handled by one person 24/7. Such punishments should lead up to a total global ban which I will close in detail with.

2.IRC. For those that profess its ability to make someone better known, learn more about the game and the best means of communication. Then why is it so often that people are banned from there for abuse and not respected by all? I dont use IRC much but I have used and not once has one of the Admins there ever had to warn or kick me.  Why then is there such rampent and utter disrespect for the admins and other players? For example how does taking excrement about the admins for kicking you or worse taking over someones channel help? One logical responce is all I ask. I asked this on Sunday from a certain young player the same question. A bunch stumbling lame excuses for poor behavior is all I got. Really pathetic excuses for poor behavior.

These kinds of behaviors are hardly called for and should warrent a global ban, not just cheating. A total global ban would be from the game, forum and IRC. An excommunication from DP is the only thing that will deter and remove the unwanted members. I define those as have no intrest in improving this community and ones that have consistently shone a complete lack of respect toward other players, this games means of communications and of coarse the game itself.

Get rid of the impunity and humble those that need it. This game is free so is IRC and the forum, this does not give those players that abuse these means, the right to act as they see fit. Its an honor and a privilege if you cant respect this and act like it is then you dont need to play and should leave.

More to come about ingame resepct.
split into their respective skill levels
Why was I laughed at when mentioning this last year?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:22:55 PM »
IMAGE:

1.  More on topic posts in threads.  Off topic - move the post.

2.  More Moderators for the forums.  This is not open season on anyone that anyone sees fit.  Start a topic, make a followup post related to the topic.  Simple.  Don't follow the rules? Go make your own forums, jsut don't trash talk here.

More to follow.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:16 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:30:44 AM by P!nk »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 08:55:11 PM »
eiii for moderator!
I certainly spend enough time here.

loial for moderator, and the president of the community.
Self-appointed, apparently. :X

And I think splitting the players into different skill levels is a bad idea. I don't think the community is quite big enough for that, and even if it is it would decrease the number of people that would play a lot, due to them not being able to find a decently-populated server on their skill level.
I like Knack's 'Image', but the offtopic posting should really only be deleted/split into another topic if it 'hijacks' the thread.

Oh, and if Loial's post was too long for you, let me sum it up:
Quote from: Loial21
FluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluffFluff
Loial needs to learn how to make his posts not as... fluffy. Get your points in and end it. :-\

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:30:41 AM by P!nk »

Lunatic

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »
Maybe I'm crazy, and that is very plausable, but I've noticed the bashing and whatnot increase a lot more over the past couple months. Also over the past couple months we have seen the demise of PBCup and a good number of active clans. That could be related, that could be coincidence. I think it's people being bored that they can hardly play the game that they still like and decide to come on the forums and bash everybody.

That is probably just way off, but that's what I've noticed. I rarely even posted on these forums until ch1ll came almost inactive, so that was the basis of this.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 09:09:05 PM »
As most people will stop after their first bad experience
Respectfully Pink that has proved in effective so far. Period.

Eii. Here is a short and sweet one.
You sir have not posted one original idea yet that would help 'improve the community'. Try doing that. You know like remain on topic. Instead of focusing on me and explanations of my ideas. Do you have any care to improvement? If so post them or dont post here.

This is another way to improve the forum. Less finger pointing and mockery and more on topic discussions.

You have plenty of control Jitspoe and the community would be better off or at least those of us that care about it. If you were to become more hardline with those things in which I discussed in my 2nd post. 

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 09:19:13 PM »
Rofl...loial says "don't point teh finger!" right after pointing one right at Eiii...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 09:21:36 PM »
Oh lookey its another Look at what Loialypoo did post. Instead of an oringal idea!!! Sad start at a menaingful thread.

Agreed I did. I will digress and will continue to wait for your oringal suggestions...how many of those have we had?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of conflict between you and Eiii, loial. But also of mention is that there have been ongoing arguments between many people recently. I put in a vote for a moderator. (http://dpball.com/forums/index.php?topic=3299.0;topicseen)
I think that if topics are locked, or posts are edited/removed sooner in conflicts then it won't be as much of an ongoing thing.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 09:29:47 PM »
YES!!! GJ I agree.