Author Topic: Why do you like this game?  (Read 3578 times)

m7feettall

• Autococker
Why do you like this game?
« on: October 21, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
I hope this is not a redundant conversation. But there seems to be throughout a number of threads a conversation on why people like DP2 and what they like about it. Why do you stay playing the game and what brought you to the game? If the game is to thrive these are not trivial considerations. They effect things such as marketing, what maps to put in rotation, what community dynamics to encourage etc.

Providing hard data on these topics (even if it is only from the pool of those on the forums) could help Jitspoe out, and help us understand better how to build the community.

Some like high flying, quick game play.

Others like long drawn out strategic game play.

Others like eye candy and graphics.

Some might like the social elements or community.

Some might just stick with the game because it is one they are good at and don't want to have to be a nooby again on a newer game.

m7feettall

• Autococker
Re: Why do you like this game?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »
I joined recently. And I have to admit I looked at a couple of maps and said "wow, those are truly ugly."

But I didn't care. If I wanted slick I could go buy slick on any shelf. i was looking for a niche market that the game provides.

Now mine might not be a common one. I wanted a game that was not overly violent but still had the first person shooter dynamic. And this game fits the bill well.

I can play it with the kids watching and not have dissected body parts flying all over.

(Of course they can't read yet or I would have a whole different problem).

Now that to me meant I would put up with a game that had

a. inferior graphics (sorry, but I think we all know the engine has its limitations. I think the mappers overall do a good job).

b. not much death matching (which I like, perhaps even more than ctf).

I had previously played mostly Unreal Tourney (the old one, not '03  '04).  I really liked the game. I just didn't like the violence.

I found that dp2 is fun for a lot of reasons. I like the Q2 engine for its interesting physics (strafe jumping etc.) I has more options than the Unreal engine for movement.

I also do like the concept of teamwork, trickery etc. that can be found in the game.

Now i am just one case.

Why did you decide to try this game, and why do you stay?

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »
Why double post?

Anyways, we played it in school in 8th grade. In spanish class we would tell the teacher to shutup and play dp on a lan. But back then, i didnt even know how to strafe =]

Then during the summer i downloaded it and played it at home

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:26:36 AM by P!nk »

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
I keep forgetting that double thing. But also because one was posing the question, which would provide the actual topic, and the other was my answer.

One might be optional to many readers (my take) while the other is the whole subject and therefore not optional for those who want to comment.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:39:55 PM »
Tinman and DeFAulT got me into this game winter of last year, and I took to the jumps and i loved to jump. I never played quake but this was so much fun i kept with it and made some really good friends some of which i still play with or talk to on AIM

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
i like the game because its very fast paced.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 05:03:59 AM »
I LIK DIZ GAME CUZ I WUZ ABUL 2 GAT IN A KLAN DEN IT WUZ RLY FUN MATCHINZ
Very good Skater! Yes clan matching is fun.... :)

Meet Skater he is our all time all-around banned person. You name it, he has done it.

Great topic!

Several reasons,

Crates 2 Eletricboogaloo
TheICE
Blitz
Sudden Death
Crates
300 Hoppers
Winning
Losing
Ties
Crushing the cheaters with 'monkey camp on flag' style.
Seeing the cheaters driven before you.
Hearing the lamentation of the cheaters as they lose.
Good friends
Good memories
Good natured fun.
Good matches.
Good gibs
Good lord good bye.

*pokes head back in Good thread.

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 06:12:04 AM »
A friend of mine told me about this because i was always telling him how much i like the idea of paintball. (the real one)

Razr

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »
School LAN FTW!

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »
i like this game for the q2dp models.

Sprinkle

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »
I had to listen to pro-tee female dog and whine that I should move from qwpb to q2dp for almost two weeks, so after enduring that and caving in I decided to stay because no one gives a reach-around like Knack.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 12:36:35 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:27:52 AM by Dirty_Taco »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
Speedos FTW!

PureBlue

• PGP
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
i like listening to ppl yell at other people and threaten each other over an online connection  ;D ;D ;D

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 10:35:33 PM by IronFist »

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »
I only stay around because of the people I've met and made friends with over the course of 7-8 years. Aside from this, the rest of DP seems to be a systematic dissapointment. I also like mapping a lot because it's a chance for me to be creative which I don't get that often. Matching can be fun and exciting sometimes, but more often than not it's just a little less boring that public.

you just love me, thats why youve stayed.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006, 03:22:37 PM »
i first got the game because I'm a cheapskate and its free. the first couple of times i played was because of my brother installing it on my comp, and i actually deleted it after those couple of weeks cos i thought it was pretty poor.

then about a month later i was really bored and decided to give it another go, started to get into it, and for about the last year played it a hell of a lot (uni = stay up late playing Pb, wake up late play more Pb, etc).

i enjoy the movement the most, and the fact that I'm pretty crap at most other games, but fairly decent at this one. I used to enjoy the community too, back then i was pretty naive :/

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006, 03:57:39 PM »
Aside from this, the rest of DP seems to be a systematic dissapointment.

out of curiosity, what specific elements have disappointed you?

Anything that can be remedied?

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2006, 08:26:42 PM »
when the alpha 1st came out a lot of people stopped playing...a lot.  but after a while people got used to it, although i would still love to be playing the original shazam with the old textures and models like back in the day.