Author Topic: New Forum Moderators  (Read 9855 times)

magalhaes

• Autococker
Re: New Forum Moderators
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 09:41:52 AM »
most of the flaming comes from "in game" questions... :(
Zorch would definately have my vote.
agree

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »
most of the flaming comes from "in game" questions... :(
Zorch would definately have my vote.
agree

Agreed, but replace the word "questions" with insults and verbal attacks.  Mere "questions" don't usually lead to a flamefest imho.

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
You don't have to know a thing about any game to moderate a public forum for BAD BEHAVIOR.
Well, you kind of need to be active in the game and IRC to get a decent idea of the communitys' "groups" and where they stand.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 10:06:12 AM »
Why do you even need to know what the groups are? If someone's acting up, they get punished. It's as simple as that.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
You don't have to know a thing about any game to moderate a public forum for BAD BEHAVIOR.
Well, you kind of need to be active in the game and IRC to get a decent idea of the communitys' "groups" and where they stand.

I really don't agree...

Knowing "the communitys' "groups" and where they stand." has no bearing on one's ability to be able to see troublemakers who come on this forum or any forum insulting others and starting flamefests.

In fact it is MUCH better to have a person who doesn't know "the communitys' "groups" and where they stand." because he/she is more able to make non biased decisions.   Think of a judge in a courtroom.

Seriously, this doesn't have to be made into something so complicated.   Treat people with respect as you're supposed to in all aspects of life and you have nothing to worry about.

I've been guilty of allowing my hot head to detour me from that practice on occasion and have been reprimanded by jitspoe on this forum and Supermercado on the other.   I am most always defending myself when I get myself into trouble and certainly don't purposely attack and insult others for self gratification.

I've been in this community shortly after it began, what, 8 years ago??  Seems longer but I have no problem whatsoever with jitspoe, Knack or Supermercado putting me in check if I'm truly out of line... I might complain about it a bit but I'll take my punishment.

- eiii beat me too it LOL GG I actually gave you a + on that :P

Smokey

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 12:26:18 PM »

I really don't agree...

Knowing "the communitys' "groups" and where they stand." has no bearing on one's ability to be able to see troublemakers who come on this forum or any forum insulting others and starting flamefests.

In fact it is MUCH better to have a person who doesn't know "the communitys' "groups" and where they stand." because he/she is more able to make non biased decisions.   Think of a judge in a courtroom.

Seriously, this doesn't have to be made into something so complicated.   Treat people with respect as you're supposed to in all aspects of life and you have nothing to worry about.

I've been guilty of allowing my hot head to detour me from that practice on occasion and have been reprimanded by jitspoe on this forum and Supermercado on the other.   I am most always defending myself when I get myself into trouble and certainly don't purposely attack and insult others for self gratification.

I've been in this community shortly after it began, what, 8 years ago??  Seems longer but I have no problem whatsoever with jitspoe, Knack or Supermercado putting me in check if I'm truly out of line... I might complain about it a bit but I'll take my punishment.

- eiii beat me too it LOL GG I actually gave you a + on that :P
Well, see, on that forum i saw alot of non-troublemakers posting something, and it being locked or something because they're clueless as to what you're talking about. For example, super had no idea who ironfist was, yet he locked my post because it seemed "pointless" to him, when we all want to hear irons raps, because they rock.

Knack is a great choice, as for super, I just don't think that he has any knowledge of the community.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »
Your thread was locked because it had nothing to do with paintball and somebody reported it.  I moved it to the music forum and unlocked it.  I think it was elmono that locked it anyway, not Super.

As PiCaSSo stated, I think it's good to have somebody that isn't deeply entwined with the community so he can make more unbiased decisions.  It's not like we're making him a tournament ref where he needs a deep understanding of the game.  He's just moderating discussion.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:51 PM »
I think you should have picked someone more active and respected in the game. This way they could be more influential on the communities attitude as a whole rather than simply "moderating discussion" here.

[bd]imalamp

• VM-68
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »
Ummmm... what exaclty do people get "banned" for?, and what are they getting banned from?, just posting or just responding or all use of forum...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 02:03:26 AM »
Wrong. Bad is bad. No matter where you go.

Sounds like Y2J does not get it.  DON'T ACT LIKE AN ASS.

*edit pbcup.

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 06:33:53 PM »
I feel that KnacK is a fine choice for being a moderator, and I congratulate him.

However SuperMercado is another story. His experience playing the game is very limited, and his views towards certain players and groups of the game are biased based on what he saw on his own forums.

Not to mention, what kind of message is this sending to the older, more experienced, and more mature players like S8N and XtremeBain? Both of them have made enormous contributions to the community, and both of them have been around for a long time. Are S8N's maps and hi-res textures not good enough, is XBain's work on trying to bring a league to the game and decent match servers not good enough? If I were either of those two I would be extremely offended that SuperMercado was picked to be a moderator over me.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
However SuperMercado is another story. His experience playing the game is very limited, and his views towards certain players and groups of the game are biased based on what he saw on his own forums.

Right, forum moderatiors shouldn't judge people based on what they see on their forums.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2007, 10:37:04 PM »
Good lord the guy hasn't done anything on this forum yet and you guys keep ranting on about it.

Supermercado is a REAL LIFE friend of jitspoe's and is more than qualified to moderate this forum.

How can you accuse him of being biased against people on this forum when he hasn't disciplined a sole on this forum.   When they do, I hope he bans the fools as they deserve, permanently if necessary.

Furthermore, S8N nor Bain have expressed any desire to be forum moderators.

It's as simple as this.... Don't be a troublemaker and you won't have a thing to worry about.   The forums have gone the longest I've ever seen them without a flaming attack... 5 days??  Sweet!!

In final, it's jitspoe's call and it's a very good one.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 02:51:30 AM »
I can't understand the argument "his views towards certain players and groups of the game are biased based on what he saw on his own forums". Surely thats better? He has no pre-conceptions about people, thus when somebody acts like an ass on this forum, he will deal with them appropriately rather than saying "oh thats skater he always acts like that I'll leave him be" or other such nonsense.

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
Flaming = Creating threads or making replies for the sole purpose of complaining about another person or clan through put downs and insults or doing the same for some other form of self gratification.

Defending yourself = The guy/gal on the recieving end of the put downs or insults being forced to respond to the flame you started in an effort to defend his/herself.

How are you going to say that by "defending yourself on the internet," you're not flaming? It doesn't matter whether or not you were the one who started it. For the love of god, just make Picasso a moderator. He rants and raves about anything and everything, just give him the power to ban people who reply to his own flames.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »
Actually Fyre, sometimes I DO get to the point where I may seem to "flame".

AGAIN, I DON'T come on the forums for the sole purpose of insulting, belittling and attacking the people of this community.

I'm certainly guilty of letting accusations or direct attacks against my friends, the GT clan, and myself get under my skin.

I'm a defensive person and I have a hot head BUT every time I let it get out of hand I get called out just like everybody else.

The good thing is that I no longer have to let it get to the point where I get pissed off and begin to "rant" or "flame".  If I'm not mistaken, it is jitspoe, Knack and Supermercado's intention to put a complete STOP to ALL the mis behaving of the past.

You don't have to like me and I'm positive a few of you don't but this forum will no longer be the place for you to demonstrate that opinion thanks to our new moderators.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:23:01 AM by P!nk »

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »
jits toss me on as a moderator too because you love me

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2007, 02:55:31 AM »
Giving yourself some help in this task is a good leadership decision Jitspoe.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 03:31:05 PM »
=] yay for knack and supermercado, good job jitspoe..