Author Topic: Need Suggestions for a Real Paintball Gun  (Read 10971 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Need Suggestions for a Real Paintball Gun
« on: April 07, 2007, 10:59:11 PM »
I'm thinking about playing a little more seriously and getting in on some tournaments and whatnot, but first, I need to get some decent equipment.

Now, call me cheap, but I don't really feel like shelling out about $800 for all the equipment I need.  I'm hoping to luck out and get a whole package from some paintball retiree for like $300.  I don't really care if the gun is electronic or not, so long as it's accurate.  In fact, I almost prefer the "old-school" designs.  Most of these new electronic markers look like laser space blaster toys or squirt guns, or just flat out butt-ugly.

I stopped by a field local to my parents house and they had a used autococker for sale for $250 -- one of the new electronic ones.  It seemed pretty nice.  It caught a little bit of the newschool ugly virus (what's with the hump by the feed?), but it's still a decent looking gun.

Haha, they also had some propane powered gun there.  Never knew such a thing existed.  Crazy Tipmann.  Apparently one of the guys who works there -- he wasn't there when I stopped by -- used to work with Airgun Designs, so he probably has a bunch of automag stuff he could sell.  I know I shouldn't go just by looks, but in my personal opinion, the Automag RT is the nicest looking paintball gun I've seen.  It's also reliable and low maintenance from what I've read in the reviews.  Only downside is that it's heavy and a gas hog (and needs a level 10 upgrade or it tends to chop balls).

Thoughts?

SkateR

• Autococker
Re: Need Suggestions for a Real Paintball Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:30:58 AM »
Ok well, you're saying you want a gun/tank/hopper for 300? It would be tough to get a decent gun with that for that price. I say if you're honestly getting into paintball seriously then I'd suggest getting a good gun. Take the 300 and go on www.pbnation.com and look for a pm5(proto matrix 5), an Ion, a promaster, and some others. I'm sure you can get a cheap n2 tank on there also.

Sorry, I laughed out loud at you saying the RT mag is the nicest gun you've seen. Lawler. Don't get a gun without eyes. Just get an ion, they're cheap, light, consisten and have eyes.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:27:22 AM »
check out this website, it's not a real paintball site, but it has some decent guns and materials. I order from this site for airsoft stuff, and the deal is anything over $100 is free shipping. I just looked and it does have decent paintball stuff so good luck and hopefully something catches your eye.

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-Paintball/Categories

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:29:52 AM »
Sounds like a job for the A-5 with E-grip and Flatline barrel and 200 round loader.
I had the this setup I gave it away a while back.
That thing was a beast. Full auto, lol

http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/markerDetails.aspx?categoryid=1
http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/accesDetails.aspx?id=15
http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/accesDetails.aspx?id=5
http://www.tippmann.com/product_guide/accesDetails.aspx?id=17

One thing though.
Compared to my e-blade autococker it felt like I was shooting a howitzer, only in full auto @ 15bps.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »
I forgot to ask if you plan on playing xball/speedball or woodsball/recball. If you're going to be playing woodsball, just go with a 98 custom or a5 with a flatline barrel. If you're going into xball, go for an ion or something around there. If you're getting a used set up, I suggest a pm5, one of the nicest guns I've shot.

I'm buying a pm5 tonight, actually :]

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:37:52 AM by SkateR »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 07:58:07 AM »
S8N: They had a setup kind of like that there -- I think it was a 98 custom + flatline + response trigger.  Describing it as a "tommy gun" seemed pretty accurate, haha.

Hm, is this right?  http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/category/markers.worrgamesautocockers.autococker_packages/?META=PBRHD -- something seems fishy about those prices, but that definitely fits what I'm looking to pay.  I really wish the new autocockers didn't have that ugly camel hump by the feed.

http://www.zephyrpaintball.com/product/6-KIT-2SPRIMAL -- not a bad looking gun, but is it any good?

Spook:  Thanks for the link.  This one caught my eye... http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-27388/Brand-New-REX-M2/Detail

Skater: Tournaments would be speedball, but I'll probably play a variety of things.  The ion sounds like a pretty decent gun.  It's kind of ugly, but it looks pretty customizable, so I should be able to change that.  There's like 500 million pictures on pbreview when usually there are just 3 or 4, so it must be pretty popular.  Out of curiosity, which gun do you think looks the nicest?  I've been looking at quite a few guns and still like the style of the RT (though it looks ugly without the rear sight).  That PM5 is butt ugly.  Looks like somebody melted a blob of silly putty and said, "Let's make a gun that looks like that!"  Of course, that's my personal opinion.

By the way, where do you get the money to spend on these guns?

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:21:14 AM by P!nk »

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 09:26:51 AM »
That pm5 rocks the hell out of an RT mag. Ions are extremely customizable. They have made new bodies and everything for them. They're the cheapest "high" end gun. I'd suggest getting one if you really want to get into paintball. There are several guns that I think are extremely sexy.  Egos, pm5-6-7, almost every intimidator, and more. Pm5 is so light and consistent. I'm only paying 250 for it from a friend when I watched him buy it for 900 new in 2005. It's one of the nicest shooting guns of ive used.

I got the money by selling an old gun plus my ipod nano, and my mother is hooking me up with 100. I honestly suggest getting an ion or pm5. I've never seen this pm5 chop a ball. Im not too sure about ions, I've used one in a tournament bone stock and it performed pretty well. Perfect for a starting xball/speedball gun.

I dont see how you cant find this sexy..

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:49:54 AM by SkateR »

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
Jitspoe, what you're going to get with those butt ugly guns is feather lightness, durability, reliability, and customizability.
It's where all the innovative technology is being focused out of demand in the market place.
Not to mention everyone on the field going "ooooo"!

Anarchy

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »
mmm my friend had a pirhana, i played a few rounds of woodsball with it. it was vey nice. i myself have a spyder. if youre a serious paintball player, i wouldnt buy one. they kind of suck =/.

Nitroboy

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 05:56:42 PM »
Use an ion. I have one, it is great. All you have to do is up it like crazy, look:

and use a t-board or virtue board if u want to waste the money.

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 09:23:52 PM »
By the way, where do you get the money to spend on these guns?

This is where they work.

LMAO, don't know how that site hasn't been shut down yet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 02:44:32 AM »
SkateR/S8N: I realize the new gun designs are going to be lighter and have better performance (reliability and durability are arguable), but with the technology they have to build things smaller and lighter, you'd think they'd have a lot more room to work with the design and be able to make something that looks pretty cool -- not some amorphous blob with a barrel and handle sticking out.

I honestly don't see how you can find that pm5 sexy.  It looks a little better than the previous one you posted, but it looks like a toy made to shoot Nerf darts, not a (once) $900 .68 caliber firearm.  Actually, there are some better looking Nerf guns out there... http://upload.creamedgeezer.com/images/nerfcustom4.jpg (Spiderman obviously approves).

Looking at it again, the design is more like when you smear thick paint back and forth with your fingers... http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/f/images/fingr.pntng2.jpg -- see it?  It's like they smeared right, then left, attached a handle, and boom, instant body design!  I like the look of the (top half of the) grip, though.  I'm sure it fires great, but I'm not impressed by the aesthetics.

I guess I'm going to have to give in to the "new school" look sooner or later.  If I'm going to shell out several hundred bucks on equipment, I want it to at least look nice (to me).  I just really can't stand the curvy/blobular shapes so many of the guns have now.  I guess I want something that looks more like a "gun" and less like a "marker".

On the topic of nice looking guns, another gun I like the look of (though I'd never buy it because it's a pistol) is the Delta .68: http://www.psychoballistics.com/2005site/images/markers-delta68.gif

P!nk: Where do you find this stuff?  Haha.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful.  I am tempted to go with the Ion, but the body kits are really expensive -- the good ones, that is, not the ugly plastic-looking ones.  Not sure I want to spend another $70-$150 just to make a $200 gun look a little better.

Anarchy: Would you mind elaborating on why the spyders kind of suck?  I was considering the Raven Primal, which has somewhat of a Spyder base, from what I understand.  Is yours electronic?

Oh, another (possibly dumb) question -- what's the difference between a nitro tank and a HPA/compressed air tank, or are they just two different terms for the same thing?

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 02:55:48 AM »
Spyders suck for several reasons. I shouldn't even have to tell you why. Do NOT get any gun besides what i've said if you are planning on playing xball. Seriously.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 07:47:16 AM »
Jitspoe, have I ever given you bad advice?
It's obvious you're getting old my friend.
They wouldn't make paintball guns look like that if their wasn't a market for them.

Here's your new gun...enjoy:
http://www.worr.com/vftactical.asp

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/articles/specops_longbow.asp

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »
Jits,

I totally agree with you.  I quit playing tourney ball when electronic markers came to market. Spray and p(r)ay, just look at xball in TV.

I love my level 7 automag.  Shoots like a dream and never chops a ball.

My last days playing rec ball were actually teaching n00bs the basics in slow motion: what to look for, how to approach a bunker, things like that.

I miss playing but all of the fun is gone.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »
Skater: The mechanical Spyders I'm sure have their faults, but what about an electronic one with eyes?  I'm not sure if the Raven Primal even uses a spyder base -- sounds like it's closer to the BKO.  Have you ever used a Primal or known anybody who has?  The more reviews I read, the more tempted I am to get it -- http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/3151/ -- supposedly it outshoots the ion for about the same price.

I'm curious, though -- what's the point in buying a $1000+ gun over a $200 electronic gun.  They all sound pretty much the same to me.  If they can fire at the tournament-regulated 14.7 balls/second, and have the appropriate bolts/barrels/eyes for accuracy and to prevent ball breaks, what does the extra $800+ get you?  Same velocity and rate of fire, and with the appropriate barrel, I imagine pretty close to the same accuracy.  What other factors are there?

S8N: I guess it's kind of like cars.  I mean, I'd rather drive a 57 Chevy than some of the new car designs (like the Scion Box On Wheels or Honda Element(ary school student designed vehicle)).

I wish the longbow+qloader wasn't so expensive.  That would be a fun one to have.

SkateR

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 03:33:15 PM »
Jitspoe, the raven primal is an old gun. I remember that coming out when I played in 2k4, I think. Maybe before. I've actually picked one up, it's heavy, bulky, and I think it has bouncebeam eyes, not sure though. Ions are far better, trust me. Not every review is from someone who knows what they're talking about. The difference in price is pretty dramatic. More expensive guns cycle at a better rate. They are also more consistent, never break paint, etc. Honestly, if you were to buy a spyder right now, shoot it, then shoot an ion or pm5, you would see the difference. It's blatantly obvious that you get what you pay for, just like computers. There is only one spyder out with eyes, vs2. Which I guess just came out, I was out of paintball for a while so I dont know much about it.

Honestly, get an ion. Stop worrying about stupid ass WaR StYlE TaCtiCaL guns.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 03:45:08 PM »
Yea i agree with skater. Go with the ion, I shot them all and for the money the ion is not that bad. Right now I shoot an 06 empire 2 timmy and could shoot just as fast with the ion. Don't buy a woodsball gun if your looking to get in speedball tournys. If you just want to play out in the woods with your friends go for a used 98 custom or A5 with Co2. If you go with the ion or a lower end gun electronical gun, buy it brand new.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »
It's not just me on the visuals.  I've asked 3 people so far which gun they thought looked better (Autmag RT vs. PM5), and they've all said the Automag.  One went so far as to say, "I would rather have a rental than have that ugly gun" (re: the PM5).  I showed my boss the PM5, and at first he was like, "Thats kind of cool looking."  Then I showed him the RT, and he said, "Oh, that is definitely the badder looking gun!  No question about it.  Go back to the first one?  Nah, that thing looks like a squirt gun!"

It seems the Ion is by far the most popular gun right now.  I just wish I could have a good looking version of it stock.  If I had better ebay sniping skills, I could have scored an ion and 4500 psi carbon fiber tank for under $200.  Ah well.

I'm not really looking for "WaR StYlE TaCtiCaL guns".  I just want something that looks decent -- something that doesn't look like a cheap plastic toy like most of the electros look like now.  The RT doesn't really even look like a tactical gun.  It just looks badass.