Author Topic: Exploiting. Loial to lower standards in Paintball.  (Read 6440 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: Exploiting. Loial to lower standards in Paintball.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 07:56:29 AM »
No, wallhax are not ok, but I don't think you can do that straight from the console, as far as I know anyways.

Custom texture...
People should be allowed to include custom textures with their custom maps. But the game should be such that only the intended graphics and models should be allowed, custom or otherwise.

I used modified ball models, and modified splat, ball, and character skins before I joined eR33t. I didn't do anything extreme like long spikes on the characters. I simply tried to improve visibility a bit. IMHO it was cheating and something I no longer do. But, to me, it was no more cheating than the LEGAL HUD modifications designed to improve one's ability to view the state of game with a mere glance beyond what the game developer intended. If the developer of this game was more involved in the competition aspect of this game he would readily understand how HUD mods can be an unfair advantage.

In order for this game to be played on equal ground, no part of it should be changeable (beside custom maps).
The bind system is argumentative. It's been around a long time, and could be considered as offering a player an unfair advantage, but it is available equally to every player.

nubs will come, nubs will go. It's the same as every game out there. nubs will get owned. If the interest is there, nubs will continue to play, learn, and get better.

Content verification would be the best thing to happen to this game. I pray for that day. I pray for the day 80% of this community quits or drops dramatically in apparent skill because they can no longer use their modified models and skins to gain their unfair advantage.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »
but I think he should add them in the next build and when the update comes then the textures are already there, you shouldnt make your own textures for yourself. Make something, give it to jitspoe and he will add it to the game.

He couldn't because i didn't make them. I stole them from B&Q website.

{appy Hamper

• VM-68
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »
There is one major reason I play this game:

customizeability.

I would have been bored with this game after a year tops, w/o being able to think about ease of keyboard and playing.  Wall hacking and any form of modification that gives away the position of the other players is cheating.  I have a hard time thinking changing the skins is cheating, mostly because the yellow team always has a disadvantage.

Anybody who wants help figuring out stuff or wants scripts I thought up, can ask me.  Stupid people who are too lazy to ask can cry me a river.  (I was there once too, but I don't believe I was cheated by more experienced players.)

The solution you need is for whiners/newbies to play in lower-bracketed leagues.  Maybe Division II, or AAA, or the league for the deaf and blind, or something like that.  :)

Krizdo4

• PGP
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 12:44:52 AM »
Its been said If every single person is 'cheating' its not cheating. I refuse to believe ever person uses or has access the same knowledge base. I could not rationalize the console binding as not cheating. FYI when its not made available in a download of the game or official releases, its considered an exploit.

Well good thing console commands are part of the official release.
I don't have to hack the game to change the field of view.
It's there built into the game. There's instructions in the links on the Doc's page.

The other day someone in-game was talking about their mouse sensitivity settings. They had settings you can't get through the menu.
Is there anything wrong with that?
I hope not. Why?

Example of the FAQ spelling out how change settings
How do I fine-tune my mouse sensitivity?
If you want more fine-tuned control than the slider on the menu offers, these are the cvars you need to tweak: sensitivity, m_pitch, m_yaw, m_filter, m_xp.
sensitivity - Basic speed multiplier for mouse looking. This is what the menu slider controls, though you can go above or below the value range on the slider.
m_pitch/m_yaw - Adjust the up-down/left-right sensitivity independently.
m_filter - If enabled (set to 1), it averages the last mouse position with the current one in order to smooth out the movement.
m_xp - 0: uses default Windows XP acceleration, 1: Disables Windows XP acceleration, 2: Disables acceleration on non-XP versions of Windows.

Is it too much to expect people to read the documentation if they want to do something?
I think you're lowering the bar a bit far.

Dumbing down the options of the game penalizes the smart people.

If there's something you think just has to be disabled or restricted, request that it be a server setting.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 08:52:23 AM »
There is one major reason I play this game:

customizeability.

Exactly, this game is a total conversion -mod- for quake 2.  Sure it has official releases and changing stuff may not fair,  but in a community of modders, you have to expect a lot of stuff will be changed.
Changing skins, models, textures, skies, etc. may not be fair, but after all, life isn't fair...

Thank the heavens half of us have good conscience that we listen to.

Cheers,
y00tz

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 01:02:09 AM »
I refer back to fair play and Bains original point. Ty.

Modders vs non-modders. Wow is that what you consider fair?

LoL "I dont care if its fair as long as I win" =  loser.

*Life is fair. Others make it not. That can be controlled in this enviorment.

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
True, life is not always fair. But why are we comparing a computer game to real life?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »
*Life is fair. Others make it not. That can be controlled in this enviorment.

No it can't. If you disable binds and such, then there are still third party programs like AutoHotKey that can allow the player to do multiple actions in one keypress. People can play with their monitor's settings. Hell, some players will just be better than others.

Get over it. It doesn't make that big of a difference.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
True, life is not always fair. But why are we comparing a computer game to real life?

Because in real-life, others cheat in video games.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 10:12:06 PM »
I would be terrible without my hand switch binds, they are not even anything complicated, just standard scroll down left hand, scroll up right hand, and click the wheel for center. Little things like that make my game better, and getting rid of that would suck.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 04:22:13 AM »
"Hell, some players will just be better than others."

That is all I want to be evident. :)

All i said was I was lowering my standards. If you are offended I am Sorry.

*Spook thank you for being honest.

Salute.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
Only binds i use =] only binds i need too.

pbmax

• PGP
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 11:58:28 PM »
This may be a little off-topic, but since you're talking about binds etc...

Can I use my ET config setup in PB2?

(oh, and my name doesn't come from PainBall)
thanks
pb

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 12:35:54 AM »
You'd have to re-do all the binds, there are different commands, and I assume the binding systems are slightly different.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
pbmax: I imagine some of the binds would work.  Movement is probably the same.  All the weapon and item related binds are going to be different, though.

namebrand

• PGP
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
Dunno if this is in build 17 or 18 but there should be a FOV option....definatly the only thing newbs should be informed about.

other then that, why mod DP? k maybe blue is SLIGHTLY more visible.

I agree with yootz...the source codes been out for how long now? ...that being said, there should already be enough people in DP that know the console commands, to teach the newbs...or whatever. Ive been playing q2 for 7-8 years now and havent changed much.. "fov" and "gl_modulate" and a few things to maximize framerate, is all I can think of...all of these I learned in my first year or 2 of playing.