Author Topic: In the eyes of many vets, please, take a step back on Saturday, July 21st, 2007.  (Read 14348 times)

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
No,

It is not expected.

WAY back before you ever thought of playing DP, the environment was very different. There was more of a team effort while playing, more players got excited about matching or playing, cheating or hacking really wasn't an issue, and overall there was a very receptive atmosphere in the forums and servers and irc.

The only real events that happened were the weekly heated debates between Zimbu and Royal Blood, Cal talking about Val, and working on improvements towards the game ( such as what a few are doing now)

Now, we have very little in the way of mentorships, everyone is a hacker, egos are so big that people won't play on servers that the egotistical types are on, and when someone asks a question on irc or in a server they get female doged at.

Think about it...

Xile

• VM-68
Haha, the ol cal and val...

I remember someone made a pic of him dressed up and he got pretty upset.. But it was surely different back then. And what DefineDP is going to do is in the works. We done expect results right away. And were working on some plans to involve more people. You will know about them as they unfold. Things take time. It's only been a week or so. Give it time.

Good times :)

Smokey

• Autococker
I encourage anyone who wants to support definedp to have their fakehost changed to definedp.org =] I've told butta to allow anyone to use it.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 12:25:32 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:10:37 AM by P!nk »

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
At least I'm not a cannuck!!!

But seriously how can I complain when Im lumped in with two of the finest people to ever grace this game?

FTX

lekky

• Autococker
I'm glad someone has taken time out to write a lengthy detailed post, saying something that most of us have been trying to say for a long time (but seemingly being ignored). Xile, I hope that you can use this base to bring about a mass attitute change, and I will be in full support of it.

It needs more than just asknig people to idle an irc channel though, do you have any projects in mind to help push along this change in attitudes? I'll throw a few ideas out to begin with:

• Help a Newb Per Day

Go out of your way to answer the invitable questinos you hear in any pub, "How do you jump so high?". Literally grab a private server and show the newbie how to strafe jump. Do this once a day and you'll be surprised how effective it is. That person you helped will feel great that someone so good took time out of their day to help him, and this attitude will pass down from player to playe. The next time someone askes that guy the same question, what do you think his answer will be?

• Match a "Funname Clan"

Match a "funname clan" from a pub, and rather than pummeling them and destroying their life, offer advice throughout the match. I've done this before and the match literally turns into a lesson, going onto multiple maps with no regard for the score. You'll be amazed that these "funname clans" just don't know any better, and are usually pretty decent people. Some simple advice such as "you should have done this, then you would have been able to take advantage of this, etc".

Those are some specific projects that may be helpfull. Also I'll post a few general rules I think we should follow as experienced players:

• Try to answer questions people have in pubs, many don't know about irc or the forums, and public servers are their only means of getting answers to their questions.
  • Don't argue in pub, and try to resolve arguments in servers you are in.
  • Don't play under an alias? Not so certain about this one myself, but it might be that if these newbies regularly see a player topping the charts, they might be more willing to ask questions or open communication with this individual.

We should be aiming to create an open and friendly environment in pubs, where anyone can ask a question and expect a decent answer. Most of you guys are role models when you play in pubs, whether you like it or not, if you take responsibility for this role, alot of good can come of it, and this change xile has talked about has a greater chance of occuring.

Of course all the above could be a load of crap, but its good to discuss :)

bump or something.

scribe

• PGP
Hey Xile :)

I enjoyed your post.  It really brought back memories of the good old days.  It was a different game back then - I miss those days for sure.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
<3 Scribe

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:10:22 AM by Dirty_Taco »

scribe

• PGP
<scribe> Well the barrels and crates are there for a reason.. I like to take advantage of them when I can

What does that mean?  You keep quotes of me?  I feel special :)

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
I'm so disappointed I didn't see this thread before now. Xile, lekky, et al: got some great thoughts. I'm idling in #definedp as i write this.

Eiii

• Autococker
Two months late, I'm afraid.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
ya i know. :(