Author Topic: Verbal Abuse  (Read 10280 times)

Xena

• VM-68
Re: Verbal Abuse
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:32 PM »
I dont have much of a problem with swearing but some people over do it. It has gotten to a point where some people are just plain rude. Some of the insulting I've seem have been on humour and on the joking side but to see a few people just talk about having sex? (yes, that did happen yesterday... I wont name names but it was quite odd/funny reading it) At the same time, there are teens playing this game. I don't think I want my kids to be playing and reading any of those stuff.

The spamming part gets bothersome. I'd like to see something done like... spamming 5 times in a row will get you kicked off a server and temporary banned for an hour or something like that.

edit: oh, i even remembering one time... they were putting down americans and making really ignorant (not really the right word to describe it) comments that was just hard to take.

UltraByte

• PGP
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
Some of the insulting I've seem have been on humour and on the joking side but to see a few people just talk about having sex? (yes, that did happen yesterday... I wont name names but it was quite odd/funny reading it)
Wait.... Don't 10 year olds play this? That's pretty bad to be talking about that on a game... it must mean you have no life and/or no friends.

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
or a hole in your computer screen :P

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »
WHO CARES ABOUT SWEARING. If you're getting offended by people exercising their right to talk about whatever the intercourse they want, you shouldn't be online. I can honestly say if you "muted" me or whatever, I'd still come back talking excrement. It would not change my attitude whatsoever.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
WHO CARES ABOUT SWEARING. If you're getting offended by people exercising their right to talk about whatever the intercourse they want, you shouldn't be online. I can honestly say if you "muted" me or whatever, I'd still come back talking excrement. It would not change my attitude whatsoever.

intercoursein A right

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »
Sad thing is there was a muting system installed for a reason this is such a waste of a topic.  If you dont feel like seeing spammers put the whole game on ignore except for yourself and maybe a friend.  No need for recon if you know how to play the game.

BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION =/

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2007, 08:08:37 PM »
I think you guys are going about this all wrong.

Let me explain:

When you "wall-hack" or "modify textures" etc.,  you are obviously doing it to gain an advantage in the server.
So therefore, you are banned from the server.

What should be done about verbal abuse? This:

Mutes.

Think about it.  When you verbally abuse someone, you almost always aim to put them or something about them down.  Therefore trying to gain an advantage of power over them.  So getting muted for a week would probably fix a person's wagon pretty good.  And of course, punishment always grows. (Warnings are good too for the first time offenders)

Another option:
A "stealth" swear filter.  Once you have said something along the lines of 2-3 inappropriate words in 1-2 minutes, you get temp-muted for 5 minutes.  Would work wonders in pubs.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts,
Brock.

Good idea. I have seen that done in a game now that you mention it.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »

Really nice attitude man. From what you said there you just lack any kind of social skill and behaviour. What goes arround comes arround, remember that.

Fyre

• VM-68
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
What does my post have to do with "social skill and behaviour?" This is a free online game, not a trip to the mall.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »
What does my post have to do with "social skill and behaviour?" This is a free online game, not a trip to the mall.

Because online behavior can be a reflection of your Real Life (tm) behavior.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 06:50:37 AM »

Because being online is just another form of a social environment, the very fact you play this game online versus other real people demands that this is a social exercise. Yes you lack the direct face to face communication, but the communication is still there nontheless. Now you seem to lack the ability to comprehend this, and your ideas reflect this lack of understanding.

Because online behavior can be a reflection of your Real Life (tm) behavior.

And Knack, just want to help you out a little. Online behaviour IS real-life behaviour. The person is in control of his behaviour in real kind of way, just as if they went "to the mall" or spoke to their friends on the phone. Their behaviour has a direct and real influence on their environment in each and every case.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 07:18:49 AM »
That is exactly what fuels verbal abuse people just don't know that is the same thing as going out in public in your example going to the mall and just swearing at everyone and abusing people which you rarely see in real life either that or they don't care.

JOE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
intercourse excrement sock balls black person very *friendly* person booger girl thingy sexually promiscuous person ass penis

just thought i'd throw that in there so you'd know that the conversation in servers would look like if there was a filter

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »
newbie(1): you  black person ass girl thingy piece of excrement i shot you you intercourse sexually promiscuous person!
newbie(24):orly.

Mayhem

• Stingray
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:08 AM »
Everyone seems to think swearing is the issue it's not.
Verbal abuse is the issue, constantly making fun of someone and putting them down every game they are both in would be verbal abuse. If someone is talking about black people having sex or whatever example: "I'm black and have a huge detective!"
That would not be verbal abuse. It may offend some people but it's not verbal abuse. Example: "You stupid bundle of twigs! you suck! why don't you go kill yourself" Would be verbal abuse, i've heard lots of stuff like that said and things like it.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 06:35:41 AM »
Well you got the point there, this went off topic for a little. It´s just that all of it is verbal abuse. And any mature person which is part either of this community or the DP game itself should respect other players every time.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
some people seem to think that because they play online and you can't see or know exactly who they are gives them the right to abuse or degrade people. i think most of these people are the younger players. I would like to think the older players (age wise) are wise enough to respect others whether they are beginners or not.

it's quite sad to see what people say on some servers.

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
id say ignore (triggered by person, client side), and maybe a mute (triggered by admin, server side), but thats just my opinion  :P.
edit: sorry, im a bit new here, i didnt know there already was an ignore function x.x(at least i heard of it in another thread x.x)

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2007, 12:03:30 AM »
I haven't really thought about verbal abuse until today some random newbie started a racial rant because I'm black. Then he had to add a racial slur. This was sudden verbal abuse too. I typed nothing the entire map and he slowly started to get annoying. Like KoreMagna explained, it's really sad that other people try to degrade other people across internet because they simply can. I even find degrading people because of their play is unacceptable. The more annoying thing is that no other person playing, maybe 10 or more, even gave a reply. Funny how it's all because I use "Da" because "The" was taken.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2007, 12:12:02 AM »
The more annoying thing is that no other person playing, maybe 10 or more, even gave a reply.

What did you expect to happen, others to join in and have a "nuh uh" "yes huh" argument?  I guess now more than ever I see that people take games too serious.  Imagine a punk on the basketball court, talking trash.  I know you'd laugh if you saw some 5'7" 120 pound kid with tattoo that says "UNIX", calling you some dumb name or making some comment... would you expect to stop playing just to confront him for talking smack to you?  What does it accomplish by stopping to play just to pick on a 14 year old?  Type ignore and his ID, game over for his rant.

I catch so much for being a Jew, have I ever cared? Not in the slightest.  Is it annoying? Nope.  Do I wish people wouldn't say stuff about Jews whilst playing a video game? Sure.  The fact remains, if you can't laugh off some rant, ignorance or verbal abuse that is sifting across the big series of tubes that is the internet, perhaps you need to re-think what offends you.

If I physically threatened you, would you be scared? Of course not.  It's got NOTHING to do with me, nothing.  it's the fact that I have no idea who you are personally nor do I know anything about you as a person.  Nothing.  So no matter what I say to you, and the online alias you use, I'm not getting to you personally.  If you take a rant personally, you're probably the problem.

-y00tz.