Author Topic: Killing a server  (Read 4011 times)

the-elementalist

• PGP
Killing a server
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »
I've noticed that there a lot of servers on Paintball that come on the server list for a few hours at max and then drop of the list.

Most of these are Australian servers, and I have the capability to run a small, say 8 player server from my computer, my only concern is that I don't want it running forever. I want to be able to shut it off when I'm not at home.

In short; After I've made my server, how can I get it off the web. Also, is it the same process to get it back up?

FYI: I have read the server guide.

EDIT: Sorry, one last thing, server player limit, where do I put that in?

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
Re: Killing a server
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
all you have to do is exit out of your server (the black box) when ur done with it    ;D

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:38:03 PM »
and for your player limit, i just set mine under "start new game" and it works on my dedicated server

the-elementalist

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »
Cheers Bullzeye, ill give it a shot 2morrow, for now my eyes are about to sh-

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:05:56 AM »
and for your player limit, i just set mine under "start new game" and it works on my dedicated server

Strange but there is actually  a place to set the player limit in the server.cfg file.

the-elementalist

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 12:50:33 AM »
Okay, here's something fun for you guys to try and work out.

I've been to IP chicken, and got my I.P address, and that appears on the dp serverlist but for some bizzare reason my server will not appear on the server browser.

I have the public setting in server.cfg set to 1, I have that 'black box' up, and it the server will appear when I load the game normally, however i got a friend of mine to try and connect, yet it would not appear anywhere.

Please help.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »
Well whenever i host a server it usually takes about 10 mins or so for it to show up on the list. Also sometimes you cant see your own server on the list. In some instances my server never showed up on the list untill another one started up because sometimes,at least my server list, never shows the bottom server.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 09:36:58 AM »
it doesnt show up until the server sends a heartbeat.

Open port 27910 on your firewall and router and youre in business

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:39:51 AM »
it doesnt show up until the server sends a heartbeat.

Wrong it shows up once it sends a ping to the master server at dplogin.com.

Elementalist when you open your server try typing exec myserver.cfg or whatever you named you server.cfg file. That should fix the problem.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:42 AM »
Wrong it shows up once it sends a ping to the master server at dplogin.com.

Elementalist when you open your server try typing exec myserver.cfg or whatever you named you server.cfg file. That should fix the problem.

Kilo shut up, Hearbeats send the pings. And that is deff not the problem. The black cmd box is up and the other IP hes getting in game is probably his local ip ie. 192.168.1.1 or something. He needs to open the ports on his firewall and router and than allow paintball2.0 through the ports.

gg

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:03:28 AM »
Flame how many servers have I helped set up for people? Too many is how many so I know what I am talking about, so go to your corner and be quiet.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
Flame is correct on this matter.  The server shows up on the list when it sends a heartbeat, which contains more info than just a ping.

the-elementalist: Is the port on the server list correct or is it some random number?  If it's random, you need to forward your ports correctly on the router.  If it's correct, you may need to adjust your firewall settings.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
Flame is correct on this matter.  The server shows up on the list when it sends a heartbeat, which contains more info than just a ping.

Burnt KiLo... Score 1 for the FlaMe

Go back to under your bridge, troll =P

the-elementalist

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 12:31:55 AM »
Okay time to admit I had no idea what was going on during that argument(?) with Kilo and Flame and they kinda lost me. I don't mean to sound pathetic, but baby steps would be nice.

Now, I got the stuff about sending heartbeats, I saw that happen and im pretty sure it still didn't work at that point.

So jits, I'm gonna go through what you said bit by bit.
a)My firewall is disabled.
b)Port number on the server list?? And what was that flame went on about 27910? The only thing im sure about is my ip address and that's about it.

It might be easier to communicate on that IRC thing... if that's possible I've only looked at it once, so you guys tell me what's best.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:01 AM »
in all honesty IRC will make your life easier.

Go to www.portforward.com and look for your router. I'm assuming you have one. Follow the steps neccessary to allow UDP packets to flow in and out of ports 27910.

The firewall, dont disable it just because you don't know what kinds of viruses you could be allowing in. Look to see if you can allow ports 27910 to be open for UDP exchange.

Any questions look for me in #paintball or #apoboc on IRC

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »
I am still saying that it may be as simple as just typing "exec myserver.cfg" in the black box.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »
he'd be getting an error in there like unable to exec "myserver.cfg or server.cfg" in the box though. and he said he could play on it but his friends can't...

Deff not the prob kilo.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »
he'd be getting an error in there like unable to exec "myserver.cfg or server.cfg" in the box though. and he said he could play on it but his friends can't...

Deff not the prob kilo.

Flame quit talking. It could be the problem. I have had my server heartbeat and not be on the list. And when I put exec myserver.cfg it magically appears on the list. My thoughts are that putting exec myserver.cfg is sort of like a reset function.

You may also want to try typing setmaster dplogin.com directly into the black box.

Elementalist out of curiousity what is the name of your server so I can look for it and see if it is up.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »
he can tell himself if his server is up by seeing if its on the serverbrowser list. Locals dont show up there.

I'm telling you based off what he's told us, he doesnt have his ports forwarded correctly

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 07:57:45 PM »
If you look at the serverlist.php, you should have <your ip>:27910.  If you have <your ip>:<random number> your port isn't forwarded correctly.