Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 278055 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Forgot to do that - PM me on IRC so I can check it when I get home.
I must sleep now, but it kicks me for exceeding sv_maxfps.

And there is a bug with the ball model. Maybe it is the same, if u connect. If not, i can upload a screenshot tomorrow.

Do u think, u can release the b25/b26 server files in the next (two) week(s)?

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
I must sleep now, but it kicks me for exceeding sv_maxfps.

And there is a bug with the ball model. Maybe it is the same, if u connect. If not, i can upload a screenshot tomorrow.
Here:
http://www.otb-server.de/sshot561.jpg
http://www.otb-server.de/sshot562.jpg

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
I'm not sure what's going on with the ball.  I'll check to see if I have the same problem.  What's your cl_cmdrate set to?  Do you have sv_maxfps problems on other EV1 servers?  There was a server that went down and started eating all the CPU (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10063) that could have been causing problems, too.

Status update:

Still busy settling in to my new apartment, but I did some testing with the PNG file downloads to make sure those went well.  Seems like everything is working.  Unfortunately, the compression ratio isn't all that grand - maybe 10-20% more than RLE-compressed TGA's, but oh well - it's in there.  I just need to get the build put together.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »
My cl_cmdrate is set to 60.
No problems on another ev1 server.

I saw the same (sv_maxfps problem; not the model problem) on our server a year or so before. So its not a problem from the last build. I think there is a bug, which makes crazy things, if nobody play at the server for a time. After ~24h = crazy entities, 1/2 empty scoreboard,... and after a week ? = sv_maxfps, model bugs,...
The "after ~24h" things are away with a newmap, the other ones too? Idk.
Is there already a feature vote for to fix it?
Maybe this helps a little bit: Automatically Change Map After Set Time Period

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Yeah, I changed the map and it fixed the problems.  I think after a time, floating point precision issues start kicking in.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #485 on: March 25, 2009, 11:05:15 AM »
As you've probably noticed, I'm spending a lot of time tracking down players with modified content this month.  It's more time consuming than it should be.  The queries alone can take more than 40 minutes.  I try to get 1 ban in per day (except on the weekends, since I'm usually out of town).  I also have the new ban policy in place, so there have been a lot of emails, pm's, etc. tracking down cheat distributors.

Well, enough on that topic.  Wish I didn't have to spend any time on it at all.  Speaking of the weekends, the weekend before last, I stayed at a friend's house after playing paintball.  He has a bunch of stuff in his yard that we were able to record for surface specific splat sounds.  I've put most of those in the game for the next build.  The best is the barrel.  Something about it gives a really immersive quality to the game, I think.  I also implemented a pretty simple interpolation algorithm for resampling the low-quality sounds, which helps a bit.  I added a setting to scale their volume as well.  By default, they're scaled down 50%, so they won't be ripping your eardrums apart while you're trying to listen to the quieter, non-clipped, higher-quality recordings.

Last weekend, I was at a LAN party - I'll have to post pictures when they're online - they had everybody playing Paintball 2 with mask on. :)  Anyway, I was able to test and track down the death-crouch bug and get that fixed.  I might see if I can get auto-balance in for the April build as well.

_burnt

• Autococker
« Reply #486 on: March 25, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »
Good you have fixed the crouch bug. It was getting really annoying sometimes.

s0ul0

• Stingray
« Reply #487 on: March 27, 2009, 05:01:09 AM »
i like the surface-specific splat sound idea. great job.

also i have another idea you might consider. some people are saying they don't like the new shooting sounds for build26. i myself don't have a problem with them as i think the new shooting sounds are less loud/annoying. though the people that would disagree would say its hard to tell where your getting shot from now because the sound is not as loud therefore making it hard to hear incoming paintballs beside you.

would be cool if there was a command or setting in the menu to toggle between old sounds (build25) and new sounds (b26).i'm not sure if this is possible or would be too complicated to implement. like for example if someone wanted the old gun sounds but all the new stuff from build26 and future builds.

also one more question, how many different surface splat sound effects will be in the new build? (barrel, crate, stone wall, etc..)

edit: also sorry forgot to mention, thank you for continuing to update this game and you're the reason why this is the #1 paintball game in the world IMO

kudos to you.

KI3S

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #488 on: March 27, 2009, 03:30:41 PM »
What was making the crouching bug?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #489 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
What was making the crouching bug?
It was trying to play the shooting animation, even though you weren't shooting anything.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2009, 10:28:45 PM »
Any updates on ur plan jit?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #491 on: July 17, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »
If there was, he'd post it here.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »
I've actually been meaning to post something.  Things have been busy.  We're currently in crunch time at work, so I've been working late and on weekends.  Also, IGN is shutting down their hosting, so I'm in the process of switching all the main site content over to a different server.  Links will need to be updated from digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com to digitalpaint.org.  I have a bunch more surface-specific footstep sounds, but with how much people complain about sound changes, I want to polish them up a bit more to avoid changes in the future.  Next release should have grass, asphalt/cement, wood, thin metal/barrel, thick metal, snow, dirt, and sand footstep sounds.  I'm also working on team auto balance, and I've thrown in a couple other misc things (notably the admin mute and nextmap commands because I frequently find myself wishing I had them).  I'm a bit behind the committee, so expect a number of bans coming soon, too.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #493 on: July 18, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »
Three good features :)

I don't think the footstep sounds are a problem. That are new sounds, not some replaced ones.

Also, IGN is shutting down their hosting, so I'm in the process of switching all the main site content over to a different server.  Links will need to be updated from digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com to digitalpaint.org.

Will u host the site on an own server now? Or on another free hosting server?

Btw: u have a screenshots pm.

Rewind

• VM-68
« Reply #494 on: July 18, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
I love the surface specific sounds. I think they add a great deal of depth to it. I'm looking forward to the admin mute option as well, if it is what I think it is.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #495 on: July 18, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Some things for ur todo list:
- Forum update to 1.1.10
- Forum mod: Aeva
- Forum mod: Thank-O-Matic

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #496 on: July 19, 2009, 10:56:31 PM »
Forums have been updated.  I think I'm about done with the footstep sounds.  I've been doing a bit of play testing to see if any issues stand out.  I added a "s_nojump" cvar that plays another footstep sound in place of the jump sound.  I can't say I miss the jumping sound.  Not sure what I should default the setting to.  Also got rid of the hard landing smack/grunt.  Sounds better to just have the thump, since there's no falling damage anyway.  Made it play a surface specific footstep at the same time so it sounds a little more natural.  Not as good as having hard landing sounds for every surface, but not bad, either.

Also forgot to mention that I did some work on the login server to optimize name validation.  Anybody notice that the logins are much faster now?

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #497 on: July 19, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
.  Anybody notice that the logins are much faster now?

Yes i did actually, :) Nice job, It goes like 3 times faster for me now :D

UDead

• Autococker
« Reply #498 on: July 20, 2009, 07:31:23 AM »
Yes I did, I thought it was because I cleaned up my computer, lol. Thanks Jitspoe's.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #499 on: July 20, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »
Also forgot to mention that I did some work on the login server to optimize name validation.  Anybody notice that the logins are much faster now?

Not really, but i had no login problems in the last time. So, good job :)