Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 277960 times)

Narga

• 68 Carbine
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »

I mixed the HD texture packs from the one on the OTB FTP website and the one on the Digital Paint FTP website.

I did this because the one from the OTB FTP website was missing textures like the wood floor texture, the blue metal texture, the purple metal texture, the red metal texture, the yellow metal texture, and more.

The one from the Digital Paint FTP website has the textures that the one from the OTB FTP website doesn't have.

But the OTP FTP one has nicer looking textures.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #601 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
Are you also thinking about addin some custom texture packs to your ůist of official textures? Or will be there only 1 usable  pack with hq/nonhq textures that all have to use? I would personally like maybe textures choosing list (like resolution in paintball setup) where you can choose other texture pack if you dont like the default one :)
If you decide make this i would also suggest of making allowed texture list ( as i have suggested before somewhere) in wich you write textures after you judged them and said if they are allowed or not

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
I've started a new thread for discussion on the texture pack here:

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=22225.new#new

I've made good progress on the crates recently.  I think the only thing left is the crate with the DP label.  I'm just about done with a crate label filter for that.

Temporarily locking this thread to encourage people to post in the official HR4 thread.

Webhead is working on getting a wiki themed up.  Ultimately what I'd like to do is have a wiki page with the original Q2 textures, standalone textures, official HR4 textures and approved (and maybe denied) textures side by side.  I'm sure I won't be able to make everybody happy with a single HR4 texture pack, but there will have to be some way of regulating which textures people can use.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #603 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »
Still plugging away at the HR4 textures.  I've created a shadow casting map script for Filter Forge that allows me to make more realistic textures: http://www.filterforge.com/filters/9464.html

We've been crunching at work, so I haven't had a whole lot of free time, but I'm still trying to get a texture or two done a day.  I post the textures in #paintball as I'm working on them.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #604 on: April 12, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
Still moving along with the hr4 textures.  I think I have more than half of them done now.  I've also been doing some quick little odds and ends things that have been requested.  I'm working on catching up on forum posts as well.  I mostly have a bunch of old beta maps to look at now, so there will probably a lot of old topics in the mapping forum revived.  Hopefully I'll do a better job of staying on top of things so I won't have 40 pages of unread topics to deal with again.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #605 on: April 18, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
I'm currently working on all the little player physics things that have bugged me.  I started with the bouncing on elevators/platforms.  Turns out this was caused by the stair step smoothing code.  I'm trying to implement better stair step smoothing that won't impact ramps or platforms.  I've also made it so you can walk down slopes instead of stair bouncing/skipping down them.  I've fixed the fact that you can't step if the ceiling is too low as well.  Another thing I really want to do is make it so if you catch a little bump or step while you're jumping, you step over it, instead of launching straight up into the air and losing all of your forward momentum.  Last thing I want to do is make it so when you're moving quickly up a hill, you have control and can stop or jump.

Ideally, these changes will make the game feel much more fluid and not break any of the existing jumping/movement.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #606 on: April 18, 2011, 09:03:51 PM »
Sounds great!

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #607 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:39 AM »
Yes, sounds great. Will it also fix the crouch bug from this demo? It comes sometimes, if i'm moving forward (+forward) and crouching (+movedown) over a ramp (or a slope side from a barrel like in the demo) at the end. I get stuck there and must move to another side or stand up shortly to crouch forward again.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #608 on: April 19, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
Looks like my changes happen to fix that crouch bug as well.  I have most of the stuff I want to do functioning at a basic level, but there is still some polishing I want to do.  Sometimes the step smoothing skips, and there are some things I need to work out with the ramps.  Currently, I made it so if you hold the jump button while moving up a ramp, it has the old behavior (you just slide up with no ground control).  This works in a lot of cases, but if you're, say, sliding on ice at the bottom of propaint1, then hit the ramp, you lose all your momentum if you don't have the jump button pressed, so I need to figure out what to do in those cases.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #609 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
In my tweaks, I discovered a feature I didn't even know I wanted until I inadvertently put it in: you know how hitting your head on the sky stops you from making jumps you should otherwise be able to?  Well, I made it so if you touch sky, you don't lose your upward velocity.  It feels like you're flying since you don't go up as high as you would (you just kind of hover at sky height), but you can do things like double jump across the gap in ub_cliff.

Of course, it was a bug to begin with, but I re-implemented it correctly with a sky check.

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #610 on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
In my tweaks, I discovered a feature I didn't even know I wanted until I inadvertently put it in: you know how hitting your head on the sky stops you from making jumps you should otherwise be able to?  Well, I made it so if you touch sky, you don't lose your upward velocity.  It feels like you're flying since you don't go up as high as you would (you just kind of hover at sky height), but you can do things like double jump across the gap in ub_cliff.

Of course, it was a bug to begin with, but I re-implemented it correctly with a sky check.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #611 on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
That's pretty much my understanding of it.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #612 on: April 26, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
Something like that.  I'll start a new thread and post some demos later.

I finally have the step smoothing working correctly -- the thing I set out to do originally -- after doing all the other physics tweaks.  I'm using infinite impulse response damping.  I'm not sure if that's any better or worse than a linear solution, but now that it finally works, I'll have to resist the urge to do further experimentation.

I'm pretty happy with the new player movement physics tweaks.  At first, I thought the ramp control would be a problem for some jumps, but now that I've jumped around in a few maps with it for a bit, it doesn't take long to learn when to hold the jump button (holding jump on ramps uses the old air-sliding physics).  I think allowing high speed ramp sliding and jumping would be too much.  The way it is now, if you release the jump button while sliding up a hill to get the ramp jump, you start walking again, and lose some velocity.  That way you can get the ramp jumps or the high-speed slides, but you won't be as likely to have insane uber-jumps that are 10x's longer than what you could do in the old physics.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #613 on: April 26, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
I think allowing high speed ramp sliding and jumping would be too much.  The way it is now, if you release the jump button while sliding up a hill to get the ramp jump, you start walking again, and lose some velocity.  That way you can get the ramp jumps or the high-speed slides, but you won't be as likely to have insane uber-jumps that are 10x's longer than what you could do in the old physics.

If the new way doesn't allow you to strafe normally exactly like you do on flat land, then that would make strafing harder on some maps that are bumpy and require ramp jumps to get to some hard to reach places. I think strafing normally up hills is impossible, but I haven't tried it in a while.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #614 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Strafe jumping on flat surfaces is exactly the same.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2011, 08:35:32 PM »
I've fixed the Paintball2 application icon (for alt-tabbing, etc).  I also made it so you can resize and maximize the window.  Unfortunately, the way Windows 7 handles some of their windows, it makes the framerate tank when maximized. :-\  I think it's because the start button goes above the task bar a little bit, so it has to draw the screen twice or something.  Stupid windows 7 and its crappy OpenGL support... probably the biggest force driving away new players because they can't get the game to run.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #616 on: May 23, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
Not much new these days.  I've been busy at work with E3 coming up.

I'm finally fed up with people creating/joining clans with bogus accounts that haven't been played with, so accounts must now be played with online before they can partake in clan activities.  It won't stop the issue, but it should slow people down (and make multi's easier to identify).

I still need to look into the linux crashing issue before I can release a new build.  I'm not sure when I'll have time to do that.  It seems I'm always working late during the week and gone somewhere during the weekend (just played in a big paintball scenario this weekend).

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #617 on: May 24, 2011, 01:00:14 AM »
I'm finally fed up with people creating/joining clans with bogus accounts that haven't been played with, so accounts must now be played with online before they can partake in clan activities.  It won't stop the issue, but it should slow people down (and make multi's easier to identify).
Is this retroactive? It might could bring down the Death Bringers (hah) in one fell swoop!

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #618 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:20 PM »
On the serverlist sorting, the idea is to put the "best" servers near the top of the list.  Sometimes you'd be better off joining an empty server and waiting for players than trying to play on a server that has 5-6x's the ping.  In practice, the ping differences aren't usually that extreme, so populated servers will be at the top of the list, and maybe a couple high-ping servers with 1 or 2 people may show up below an empty low ping server or two.

I think I'd like to see passworded (match/private) servers always sorted below public ones, but using the same algorithm as you've already implemented -- that is, the active pubs, then the inactive pubs, followed by the active and then inactive privs. I don't join match servers from the server list very often. Seems to me that most of the time, when people are given the password to a match server, they are given the entire command line to enter -- so this would make it easier to identify open pub servers to join.

Oh also, it might be nice to have the external server browser use the same algorithm as the internal one, by default.

MOFO

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #619 on: May 25, 2011, 12:41:01 AM »
I'd like to see webheads .plan :D