Author Topic: Why haven't YOU played much recently? What would make you play more?  (Read 43734 times)

Ghadente

• Stingray
Re: Why haven't YOU played much recently? What would make you play more?
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 10:44:35 PM »

Another factor that lead new players to quit the game is that group of players usually called "spawners", for a simple reason: they do not let new players move around the maps, they (the new players) simply get tired and quit the game.

there's not really a "group" of players called spawners. That's just what you are when you constantly sit in the spawn area of a map and kill players the sec they revive. Unfortunately most/many of the spawners are the new players.
Continuous spawn killing is a big reason for the desire to play in servers with higher spawn times, having to wait 30-60 seconds prevents spawnkilling (ofc not 100%)
Sometimes a spawn kill is necessary/unavoidable depending on the situation (ex: when you know someone is about to respawn and don't want them to come up behind you while your attemping to cap), but the main problem in speed servers are those who chose to camp in the spawn areas instead of grabbing flag or better yet hunting the remaining enemy that are not spawn-trapped.

1 way to try and prevent spawnkilling would be for map-makers to take into consideration the location of spawn areas. set them up in such a way that it would be hard for someone to sit and spawn or easy for players to avoid being spawn killed. (maybe multiple spawn areas or making sure you start with a gun to return fire) [*these are all just possible solutions off the top of my head]

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 05:38:03 AM »
The community is quite rude now-a-days, everyone thinks their the best.

People take this to the next level, not fun playing.

The camp amount is quite annoying (In Call Of Duty 1 (Classic; the very first) some servers have a camp limit (after 30 seconds it says "Better MOVE it Soldier!" and if they stay in that area, an airstrike will kill them (or they will be tracked on the radar)). I was thinking we could do something like that.

Also, there isn't really much you can do in this game, maps are to repetative (always pgptrain, wobluda, airtime etc).

Still, I play (just not as much as other games).

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »

The camp amount is quite annoying (In Call Of Duty 1 (Classic; the very first) some servers have a camp limit (after 30 seconds it says "Better MOVE it Soldier!" and if they stay in that area, an airstrike will kill them (or they will be tracked on the radar)). I was thinking we could do something like that.

Also, there isn't really much you can do in this game, maps are to repetitive (always pgptrain, wobluda, airtime etc).

The camp limit should be a server side option.

I do agree that map rotations are limited. People should try other maps. There are a few, very good maps that don't get played much because they're only on beta servers because the mappers have left the community and thus have stopped working on them. None of the popular servers have them which is a shame and the servers that do have them have a map rotation so large that it never gets to them.

SuperMAn

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:53 PM »
I do agree that map rotations are limited. People should try other maps. There are a few, very good maps that don't get played much because they're only on beta servers because the mappers have left the community and thus have stopped working on them. None of the popular servers have them which is a shame and the servers that do have them have a map rotation so large that it never gets to them.

wat?

So you think the map rotations are limited and you want people to play more maps, but when a server actually has more maps it has too many?  

Rotation in Supermans Pub/Speed

airtime3
shock
prolandr
beta/pgptrain_b4
beta/sassault4_b4
wobluda
beta/green_park_b4
shazam33
beta/daylight_b1
propaint1
beta/space_b1
remenissions
beta/krakatit_b4
encounter
beta/banliue13_b1
beta/flaw_mines_b1
beta/pgptrain_b4
ub_rooftop
beta/scoth_b5
airtime
beta/zephyrus_b5
dhemap
beta/dcl_b1
eclissi
beta/sald_b3
carpathian
beta/cwc_b4

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
wat?

So you think the map rotations are limited and you want people to play more maps, but when a server actually has more maps it has too many? 

Rotation in Supermans Pub/Speed

airtime3
shock
prolandr
beta/pgptrain_b4
beta/sassault4_b4
wobluda
beta/green_park_b4
shazam33
beta/daylight_b1
propaint1
beta/space_b1
remenissions
beta/krakatit_b4
encounter
beta/banliue13_b1
beta/flaw_mines_b1
beta/pgptrain_b4
ub_rooftop
beta/scoth_b5
airtime
beta/zephyrus_b5
dhemap
beta/dcl_b1
eclissi
beta/sald_b3
carpathian
beta/cwc_b4

I really think you should take carpathian off, no one in pubs likes that map. CARP is a match map I hate playing it in pubs when kids sit in the house sit there and line the flag. Remenissions is the worst map ever created for paintball. Period.

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
^ TBH pubbers love Carp. It's one of the few maps I notice that doesn't kill servers. Maybe because it's on every speed server, so newbies all know it.

As to camping: Camping is in every game. Most players who camp aren't very good, and most maps have pretty predictable camping spots. No way that should deter you from playing.

And to community: Yeah, the games dying. The community will only get worse as people care less and less. But I can assure you, most games have way worse communities. You just haven't been in the competitive scene in them.

b00nlander

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Why I quit:
- mostly terrible maps (ice everywhere) on pubs and even in matches
- new players rarely made it to the match scene -> fewer and less interesting matches

What would make me come back:
- probably nothing, have quit years ago
- "standardized" match servers, with a "good" map list -> yeah, it's a matter of definition, I know :)

david14

• PGP
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »
That ping issue could easily be solved by hosting your own server.  A lot of people just learn how to play with the high ping.  Two of our clan members play with a ping of over 200.

I know how to play in high ping servers (I've been playing this game for a long time, but I am not a pro. When my router fails mi ping goes to 600 xD), I am referring to new players, for them the migration from COD to PBII is not easy (LOL).

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
The recent Natural Selection 2 tournament put on by the dev team was an amazing example of what would have really made DP great and I think would have me and my bros still playing:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/9/the_guru_beta_tournament

The dev team was literally making bug fixes in real time on a Saturday that the clans discovered while playing (as well as casting the matches from their HQ).

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
stopped playing because theres noone to match except a load of brazilians. would come back if there were other people to match. preferably not brazilians.

gonass

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »
Why I quit:
- mostly terrible maps (ice everywhere) on pubs and even in matches
- new players rarely made it to the match scene -> fewer and less interesting matches

What would make me come back:
- probably nothing, have quit years ago
- "standardized" match servers, with a "good" map list -> yeah, it's a matter of definition, I know :)

Most of the match servers have huge map lists now

Sub0123

• Stingray
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
Gets boring fast especially with some people clan-jumping like intercoursers, Thanks Narga for the reply.

EDIT: LOL didn't know fu*ck turns to intercoursers :]

lester456

• Stingray
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
I mainly stopped playing because of real life reasons; lost a lot of spare time I used to have. When the excrementstorm finally cleared, I thought of coming back to DP, but ultimately gave up for one single reason.

Which is the sheer immaturity of the comp community in this game, as seen in this very thread. Having played other games competitively(Tribes: Ascend is what I'm playing right now), DP definitely has the most immature and egoistic of them all. Of course, there are exceptions like blaa and the other ballers(I only really remember the euro players, didn't play much against americans).

The way most new players get into comp in pretty much all games is via newbie clans. The kind of clans that go around pubs asking for people to join. Usually, some clan members eventually see the rest of the clan is really bad and want to hop onto a new team/start a new team with some friends they made there. That's how I got into the comp community, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.  

DP's comp community actively discourages newbies from making the leap of getting into a new clan by being outstanding idiots to absolutely everyone. Stepping it up a notch means playing against and dealing with these people, and most people just don't seem to want to do this.

I really don't know how to fix this and what's caused this, but I'm almost certain this is part of the cause why the comp scene isn't benefiting from the obviously high download numbers of the game.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »
Apart from the fact that many of these new players obviously like the speed server, killing them wouldn't solve all problems.

TiMe2ChilL

• PGP
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
It'd be a step to the right direction.
 Even Jitspoe agrees that DP:PB isn't meant to be played with no respawn time

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »
Wonder if dead-man practice mode (http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10242) or jails in every map would help the speed server crew adapt to normal respawn times...

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
Went in a few pubs the last two days, and it's just terrible.

No NA pubs with anyone in it, all speed servers, all terrible maps, and guntemp (which is annoying as intercourse when there's 12v12 on a small 1 path map, with 150ping).

Plus, each time I checked there was only 1 option to even go pub, some DcN server.

The only pubs I've ever went out of my way to play were 20s spawns on super simple maps. It made it fast gameplay, fast rounds, and nobody would get lost in the map. (ie, when Supermans Pub was popular, and people pubbed on shock/kalcastle/s33 etc..). 60s spawn pubs got boring, because rounds went too long (especially on PP1 when someone goes afk in spawn). 60s is good in matches because you set stuff up with it, and recon etc... in pubs you're not doing any of that.

Step 1 to get people to play: Delete italy from DP2 completely, no flow - no nothing.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 03:48:44 AM »
Kill the speed servers and make the minimum re-spawn time 45 seconds. Nothing is more frustrating than playing an expansive map only to be killed by re-spawns once you get to the flag. The speed servers and short re-spawn times have also contributed to a culture of rushers who think that if you stop moving you're a dirty camper. This game used to be infinitely more tactical and now it's just about who can hit every ice jump and fly at a million miles per hour into the enemy base. I suppose you could create a new game mode called 'speed', so that the mappers can create maps which cater to that particular gamer (then admins can drop one or two in the map list to keep everyone sweet).

Educate the server admins on new maps (and classic maps), new rotations and new game modes. No one wants to play 5 KOTH maps in a row, but 1 in 10 might make a change. If you wanted to create a speed-like server but without the constant re-spawning you could use some careful map selection (smaller, linear maps) to create a similar gaming experience. It might be controversial, but I still think Snipen was the best server admin because he would put on a 'popular' map to get the GT servers populated, then the next map would be more obscure, or new, and that way everyone got used to playing a wide variety of different maps... then he'd viewgib you and temp ban you for an hour.

I agree with you Jitspoe, regarding the jails on every map. In those rare moments where I've actually thought about mapping again I always incorporate a jail into my design to keep people interested (and to stop recon :D). I've also thought about stretching the limits of the game play by using the game modes in novel ways, but I just cannot be bothered to build the maps when I know that people will never play them.

I suppose you have to make a decision about the type of community you want - we used to be small, every player knew each other even across the pond. Now you've got significantly more players, but you've lost that community; I think there are fewer matches now than there were with a smaller number of clans/players.

If I thought people would populate the servers then I'd fund a couple of Pubs and Match servers with 'classic' settings and good map variety, but I don't think people would be interested. We'd tossed around the idea of setting up a DP Olympics (I think this has been done on a small scale) with different countries competing against each other in a range of game modes, but I think the logistics would be difficult to manage. I've also thought about creating a '7 minute' server where the overall game time is quicker and you get to play more maps in one sitting - would this appeal to anyone?

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »
Hi Reed, <3

edit--

If I thought people would populate the servers then I'd fund a couple of Pubs and Match servers with 'classic' settings and good map variety, but I don't think people would be interested. We'd tossed around the idea of setting up a DP Olympics (I think this has been done on a small scale) with different countries competing against each other in a range of game modes, but I think the logistics would be difficult to manage. I've also thought about creating a '7 minute' server where the overall game time is quicker and you get to play more maps in one sitting - would this appeal to anyone?

It really depends what map it is. If its a slower map like propaint1 or 2fort5, YES PLEASE. And i also think if its 7 minutes the faster maps would end in this time regardless.