Author Topic: Build 33  (Read 35794 times)

Foxhound

• Autococker
Re: Build 33
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
sorry for double post (I noticed I started a new page, make sure u read the post before this one)

@jitspoe, i retried the ice jump. and i found that me and others were missing it because we jump before the ramp, we do this because that's what we are used to, so jumping before the ramp creates our super height because we kind of bounce off the ramp in a way.... make sense? i tried holding the space bar when i first entered the ice and continued to hold it the whole time i was strafing across the ice, and sure enough when i hit the ramp i completed the speed. HOWEVER! for the speed on the cat walk and hitting the banner, this will always happen because we can't hold the space bar down after jumping to the window, because we don't make it all the way to the ramp part, we land on the flatness before the ramp forcing us to have to jump a second time.

It seems that not all jumps can be fixed just by holding the space bar down sooner. Is there a way to implement everything you changed, but remove the part where you have to hold down the space bar? That seems to be the issue.

And think about the countless number of jumps that require you to jump to them instead of gliding on ice off a ramp. you HAVE to press your space bar in before you hit the jump which is causing extra height.

Again I say that you should look into fixing the holding space bar or get rid of it. other than that and the water jumping I see no flaws.

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
So the 33 build takes away some of the ridiculous jumps and slides and whatnots?? Hell then im all for it keep it up!

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
So the 33 build takes away some of the ridiculous jumps and slides and whatnots?? Hell then im all for it keep it up!

sarcasm?

it actually makes more ridiculous jumps...

PGPSandman

• Stingray
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »
ugh MORE... that sux. Want a great game lots of new people will play. Get rid of the superjumps and "tricks" you have to learn in order to survive a game as a newbie. Make it realistic, don't say realism does not work in video games. Saints Row and the GTA series use realistic world settings and sell billions of copies. New players leave when some "pro" can tag them out within 3 seconds of game start on a map that will take the newbie 45 seconds to cross. Speedjumps, superjumps, running faster mods make for less attraction to gameplay.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
ugh MORE... that sux. Want a great game lots of new people will play. Get rid of the superjumps and "tricks" you have to learn in order to survive a game as a newbie. Make it realistic, don't say realism does not work in video games. Saints Row and the GTA series use realistic world settings and sell billions of copies. New players leave when some "pro" can tag them out within 3 seconds of game start on a map that will take the newbie 45 seconds to cross. Speedjumps, superjumps, running faster mods make for less attraction to gameplay.

lol, GTA and Saints Row dont sell billions of copies because they are realistic (which i dont agree with, they are definitely not realistic..in most ways), they sell billions due to the brand name, advertising scale, fact that they are able to sell millions (not billions mate) of copies to game and electronics stores.

and how the hell would less speed jumps make newbies faster? if anything, after 5 mins of playing theyd be able to use some of the speedjumps and cross maps faster.

(p.s. i dont like b33 due to the issues raised by fox)

Tyrone(MyeRs)

• PGP
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
GTA is 100% realistic, nigguh live a day in my shoes n u gun understnd. y u think im so gud at that game? I kno how to sruvive nigguh. dem days i wanna go to dat skewl ish, i juz take out my 9mm, say nigguh GTFO, and unload on that nigguh. white boiis dont dare come in here.

But now to the actual game part - PGPSandman, shutup. A new build isn't going to COMPLETELY make a new game. This game is surviving off people who have stayed around for 4-5+ years, not newbs. Making the physics 'realistic' will lose EVERY talented player. Than, sure you lose the supposedly 'attitude problem' - that is far more evident in other games, DP's attitude is hardly bad compared to most games. But, you "hope" new players come - while you guarantee old players leave. Horrible logic.

People play DP for the physics, people stay to learn. You want it so that a player who played 1 week can compete with a player who played years? That's silly. You never go to a game a dominate. Most people coming to DP2 are likely coming from other quake games, and enjoy the jumping - they just aren't experienced at it.

Don't forget, DP is being run by a single person, it's non-profit, you can't compare this to paid games fool. New players have their own servers, you'll never see a "pro" on OTB Speed, or Syncmasters Cable - they have their places to learn. Speed makes it MORE attractive. Speedball type games will become boring, FAST. If you want a slow movement shooting game, go play EVERY other game online. DP2 gives a unique gameplay, which is why it's still alive. There are PLENTY of adjustments that need to be made, but I'm sure most of the community can agree that changing the physics is not one of them (even though b33 messes dem physics up yo).

I say go toony. The physics are unrealistic, the textures will never be as nice as CS:S type games, the models magically bounce without bending their legs, why not go to toony? The textures are super easy to make, and you could really start with the old models as the base of the toony player models. I'm sure a toony looking website - game , would be more attractive. And the jumping and speed would be more expected.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
Give me all the map files that need the sky raised and I'll do it. .map files that is. I'd rather do that then let the sky gliding be a default setting. Couldn't you have just made it that when the sky texture is used horizontally that it is actually sky? Like, so instead of it being like a wall, you can just go through the sky? Not sure if that made sense, I'm on a phone.

Gamabunta

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
I'm on a horse.
I don't have whatever character you used after 'on' on my phone, d00d.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
don't say realism does not work in video games. Saints Row and the GTA series use realistic world settings and sell billions of copies.

Saints row the third was the most rediculous game ive played all year...... driving around with a tiger in your car etc... man you're whack. This game is appealing tot hose who play quake, which are far and few in between. The jumps are the best part about this game. there are many higher wuality paintball games that are realistic. go play those.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2011, 07:41:26 PM »
Saints row the third was the most rediculous game ive played all year...... driving around with a tiger in your car etc... man you're whack. This game is appealing tot hose who play quake, which are far and few in between. The jumps are the best part about this game. there are many higher wuality paintball games that are realistic. go play those.

Yo it's all about dat high wuality.

How the hell can you want the game to be realistic sandman. It defeats the point of the game..
And holding jump is a nuisance in b33.

Tyrone(MyeRs)

• PGP
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »
Yo it's all about dat high wuality.

How the hell can you want the game to be realistic sandman. It defeats the point of the game..
And holding jump is a nuisance in b33.

nigguh y u fckin makin fun of my boii's language? lyke sheet. are u a fckin english teacher or someshet? dumb fckin somalians cant pass school so they cum up in mah town n try to be the shet.

hey, don't say it defeats the point of the game. Why are the textures made to be realistic, while everything else isn't. nigguh obvz part of the game is tryna be realistic u dumb filthy somalian take a shower.

pce

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
nigguh y u fckin makin fun of my boii's language? lyke sheet. are u a fckin english teacher or someshet? dumb fckin somalians cant pass school so they cum up in mah town n try to be the shet.

hey, don't say it defeats the point of the game. Why are the textures made to be realistic, while everything else isn't. nigguh obvz part of the game is tryna be realistic u dumb filthy somalian take a shower.

pce

I'm training to be an English teacher actually.
I'm not Somalian, I'm Nigerian...
And realistic gameplay is stupid when the games not meant to be realistic.. Stop using your Christmas stash before you post. Your brother was better at dp2 Richie. ;D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
Since I can't work on much now (laptop without most of my dev tools), I made a simple map with some steps and ramps and such.  Try running through it with an older build and with the new.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:21 AM »
No.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
12 downloads and 2 days later, nobody has any feedback?  Just run through with the new and old physics, try to grab all of the flags, and tell me which one you prefer (and why).

ic3y

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
12 downloads and 2 days later, nobody has any feedback?  Just run through with the new and old physics, try to grab all of the flags, and tell me which one you prefer (and why).

+ ramp stop

- stair gliding
- double jump bug
- sky gliding

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I tested the old physics only on my netbook, but the movement is not the best with this litte mouse and keyboard.

Some things i noticed:
- you get stuck and lose a lot of speed sometimes, if you run-jump at the beginning with old physics. It's gone with the new physics.
- sometimes you'll make a double jump on the first stairs with new physics (was never with the old physics).
- the ability to stop/walk on ramps instead of slide on it with all the speed is very helpful.
- the small corridor at the end is much smoother with the new physics.

So i prefer the new physics.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
For this map I would prefer the new physics, but the problem I see is that it is pretty rare that you are put into any of these situations when actually playing a map.

The best of the new physics:
-Being able to stop/jump easily on ramps is highly helpful
-The small corridor was smooth compared to the old physics

The worst of the new physics:
-The double jump at the end seemed odd at the end for me... and I make double jumps 99.9% of the time
-Stairs were odd feeling
-stopping instantly made me fall off some of the ramps when I landed because I am used to pressing back when I land... this is just something to get used to I guess

Morphin

• VM-68
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
This map is really annoying with the old physics.
While doing it with new physics i noticed that i doublejump sometimes on that stair.
Ramp stop was very useful and the doublejump at the end was a bit easier, because u get much more air.